Ally McCoist orders Bilel Mohsni to clean up his act after

Bothwellbear

Furious Rangers boss Ally McCoist orders Bilel Mohsni to clean up his act after latest red card

4 Feb 2014 07:17

McCOIST was raging with his defender after he was sent off against Brechin on Saturday and revealed he had taken Mohsni aside for a talk about the "silly" red card which put his side under pressure.

Ally-McCoist-2472647.jpg Ally McCoist has warned Bilel Mohsni

Willie Vass

ALLY McCOIST last night warned Bilel Mohsni to clean up his act after the Rangers star picked up his second red card inside a month.

The defender received a second caution during his side’s 2-1 home win over Brechin on Saturday for kicking the ball against a City player after the game had been stopped.

He also picked up a second yellow card after the January 2 game against Airdrie following a clash with Diamonds boss Gary Bollan.

Mohsni will now miss League One games against Ayr and Stenhousemuir this month through suspension and he is just one yellow card away from another ban.

McCoist said: “I was very angry and disappointed on Saturday. Bilel knew that and the sending-off was silly and needless. It put us under a little bit of pressure.

“We had a good chat about it this morning and he’s in total agreement with the sending-off, as you would expect. It was a silly thing to do but we move on.

Rangers-Brechin-3102877.jpg They were made to work hard for their win by a stubborn Brechin side, with Bilel Mohsni's red card making the task tougher for McCoist's men

“We don’t want it to happen again and hopefully we can learn lessons from that particular incident.

“Bilel is like Madjid Bougherra was in many ways. They’re both really passionate about their football and they react differently when they think an injustice has taken place.

“There was certainly no injustice in the sending-off. We just have to direct Bilel’s passion and his natural aggression. Sometimes he needs to take a step back.

“As I’ve said to him, he’s no use to us if he’s suspended.”

I'm maybe wrong here BUT I honestly don't believe that he deserved to be sent off and both bookings were soft and/or silly?

There is no need for our manager to publicly highlight the sending off in this fashion i.e. blaming Moshni, surely if Ally really felt he had to say something to the mhedia he should have highlighted the fact that both yellows were 'soft' especially in comparison to the regular late/high/brutal tackles that are committed EVERY single game against Rangers players by the opposition without punishment?

Sturrock warned us about Moshni saying he was an accident waiting to happen when at Swindon..He called it "the other Bilel"..and hoped he would learn from his mistakes as he was an excellent player,brilliant in the air and so talented.He even played him up front and out on the wing.

I'm maybe wrong here BUT I honestly don't believe that he deserved to be sent off and both bookings were soft and/or silly?

There is no need for our manager to publicly highlight the sending off in this fashion i.e. blaming Moshni, surely if Ally really felt he had to say something to the mhedia he should have highlighted the fact that both yellows were 'soft' especially in comparison to the regular late/high/brutal tackles that are committed EVERY single game against Rangers players by the opposition without punishment?

He deserved his bookings all right. He spent the first half mouthing off to the referee and linesman at East Enclosure. When he committed his foul he was always going to get booked. Then when skelped the ball off the Brechin player the ref had no option but to card him a second time. He was the reason we struggled in the last half hour.

He's a decent player, but needs to stop behaving like an idiot.

He deserved his bookings all right. He spent the first half mouthing off to the referee and linesman at East Enclosure. When he committed his foul he was always going to get booked. Then when skelped the ball off the Brechin player the ref had no option but to card him a second time. He was the reason we struggled in the last half hour.

This is what you don’t see on the highlights. I thought his first booking was a tad harsh, but if he was yapping at the officials then it was inevitable. Hopefully he learns from it and moves on.

Few points mate...

'He mouthed off entire 1st half' - BUT he wasn't booked for that, are you saying that his mouthing off prior to the tackle for the 1st yellow was a factor in his booking? And that he wouldn't have been booked if he hadn't been mouthing off previously?

'when skelped the ball off the Brechin player' - Do you think he meant to skelp him or was it just a random kick out in frustration which happened to strike a nearby opponent?

'He was the reason we struggled in the last half hour.' - You can only blame him for us struggling if you think his sending off was justified, you think it was, I don't. Do you believe the reason we struggled was that we were down to 10 men? Do you believe we wouldn't have struggled with 11 men on the pitch?

Re: My original point - do you think Ally was right to highlight the issue in public with the mhedia in the manner he has done?

Were Moshni's 2 yellow card offences any worse than the countless 'assaults' we see committed on Rangers players almost every match? Perhaps Ally should be highlighting these incidents and comparing/contrasting the punishment dished out by the referee?

not defending what Mohsni did but one of their players kicked the ball away in the first half and when Jig went to the ref, he waved him away. also about 10 minutes after he got the red card their right back took Templeton out and he was already booked. the ref didnt even go back and have a word with the player.

Few points mate...

'He mouthed off entire 1st half' - BUT he wasn't booked for that, are you saying that his mouthing off prior to the tackle for the 1st yellow was a factor in his booking? And that he wouldn't have been booked if he hadn't been mouthing off previously?

'when skelped the ball off the Brechin player' - Do you think he meant to skelp him or was it just a random kick out in frustration which happened to strike a nearby opponent?

'He was the reason we struggled in the last half hour.' - You can only blame him for us struggling if you think his sending off was justified, you think it was, I don't. Do you believe the reason we struggled was that we were down to 10 men? Do you believe we wouldn't have struggled with 11 men on the pitch?

Re: My original point - do you think Ally was right to highlight the issue in public with the mhedia in the manner he has done?

Were Moshni's 2 yellow card offences any worse than the countless 'assaults' we see committed on Rangers players almost every match? Perhaps Ally should be highlighting these incidents and comparing/contrasting the punishment dished out by the referee?

The first booking was more than justified, he gave the guy an awful crack, I thought he might gave walked for that alone. It wasn't intentional, but it was so late, and so high, I expected the worst. It was right in front of me, and I thought the Brechin player may have been seriously injured, what a yelp he gave.

Second booking, he knew he was away, soon as he kicked the ball, he started apologising to the Ref, soon as he did that, it was all over.

Doesn't matter, how others were treated it was a fair cop. IMO

Second booking, he knew he was away, soon as he kicked the ball, he started apologising to the Ref, soon as he did that, it was all over.

Do you think he 'aimed' at the Brechin player or was it just unlucky he was so close by?

Do you think he would have been booked for kicking ball away if it hadn't hit the Brechin player?

Is kicking the ball away an automatic yellow card, I honestly don't know, just asking?

Just seconds before the second yellow card, he was having words with the Brechin no. 8 and gesturing that he had elbowed McCulloch minutes earlier. They were both having words, obviously niggling each other and when the ball came to them, Mohsni was judged to have fouled him by the ref, and when the ball broke to him after the whistle was blown he kicked the ball at the no. 8. If the ref had noticed the lead up to it then it had to be a yellow. I'm in the GR3 and it looked like a bit of retribution, really silly thing to do. The big man was suckered right into it.

There is no point in fans saying what about the other teams players doing this and that, won't change the fact mohsni was daft enough to punt the ball even if there was no intention, cause quite a lot of refs will give a yellow for kicking the ball away, think mohsni would have got a word in his ear of he didn't hit the Brechin player. But end of the day the only one to blame in this ups mohsni, not the re for Brechin players, first yellow he was late and high. If it was another teams player that did both of mohsni offences we wold he calling for red and yellows. Mohsni needs to get his act together when talking to refs and being daft like Saturday, IMO big jig ahold do his captains role and pull mohsni to the side and he should be the one to talk to the ref, then after the game ally gets him told even if it for extra training or time out of the team to teach him a lesson.

Do you think he 'aimed' at the Brechin player or was it just unlucky he was so close by?

Do you think he would have been booked for kicking ball away if it hadn't hit the Brechin player?

Is kicking the ball away an automatic yellow card, I honestly don't know, just asking?

No he definitely had his eye on the ball, the guy just got in the way, but it looked and sounded bad, wasn't deliberate at all.

But refs don't show discretion too much.

He may have got away with it if the other player wasn't lying on the ground, again, I don't think it was malicious, but he gave the ref a decision to make, and theyvwill be castigated for showing ranger any leniency.

Not sure about the kicking the ball away rule, it was meant for occasions where people were wasting time, but at that point we didn't need to waste time, so that wasn't a motive.

End of the day, Billy has booted the ball away/towards an opposition player which is a bookable offence. To do it while already on a yellow card is just stupid. Can't see any argument against the sending off really. It's been coming for a long time.