Terry and England

I suppose if you wanted to go down a Chelsea kind of route for them the below would be an option albeit not a tested or tried one.

------------Hart----------

Johnston---Cahill--Terry----Baines

-------Gerrard----Barry---

Sturridge-----Wilshere-----Lallana

-------------Rooney----------

Gareth Barry's not been in an England squad for about two years now I think?

End of the day I think form is the most important issue, especially with a distinct lack of good CB options

Sure, but my point is, do you remember Davie Weir's performance against Man Utd at Old Trafford? Imperious. His experience and his positional sense and the fact he didn't need to have any pace because we were defending so deep meant that he looked like Baresi, mopping up all night. But a 0-0 draw away from home to Man Utd was a brilliant result for us and we had a second leg to try and nick it. If England find themselves pegged back like that against, say, Italy or Uruguay, it's not going to seem so wise. Maybe they won't, and Terry will show himself to be having a genuine renaissance, but it's not without its risks. And that's quite aside from the politics. And the fact that those who help their country qualify deserve to play.

It's fine to play two attacking full backs if you have someone in midfield that can drop back a la Busquets at Barcelona.

This is also true and would probably be the better way for England to go considering their full backs are likely to be Cole/Baines and Walker/Johnson.

Sure, but my point is, do you remember Davie Weir's performance against Man Utd at Old Trafford? Imperious. His experience and his positional sense and the fact he didn't need to have any pace because we were defending so deep meant that he looked like Baresi, mopping up all night. But a 0-0 draw away from home to Man Utd was a brilliant result for us and we had a second leg to try and nick it. If England find themselves pegged back like that against, say, Italy or Uruguay, it's not going to seem so wise. Maybe they won't, and Terry will show himself to be having a genuine renaissance, but it's not without its risks. And that's quite aside from the politics. And the fact that those who help their country qualify deserve to play.

Draws against Italy and Uruguay wouldn't be so bad provided they beat Costa Rica but there will still need to be some balance as you never know for sure how many points are needed in the group stage.