Ally McCoist dismisses Scottish Cup favourites tag

Bothwellbear

Rangers: Ally McCoist dismisses Scottish Cup favourites tag

Ally McCoist has cooled suggestions Rangers are favourites to win the Scottish Cup.

McCoist's men defeated Dunfermline 4-0 in the fifth round and face Albion Rovers at Ibrox for a place in the semi-finals.

And McCoist believes that Aberdeen, having knocked out holders Celtic, are the likely winners in May.

"Some bookies might have us as favourites - as is their right - but I wouldn't go that far," said McCoist.

“Aberdeen, having knocked the holders and the champions out, would probably be most people's favourites now”

Ally McCoist Rangers manager

The League One leaders were in impressive form against Dunfermline at Ibrox on Friday.

However, McCoist believes there is little difference between his side and the Premiership clubs still in the competition.

Beating Celtic saw Aberdeen rewarded with a home tie against Dumbarton, St Johnstone face Raith Rovers while Dundee United are set for a trip to Inverness CT, should John Hughes's side overcome Stranraer.

"I'm not trying to play any mind games when I say this but I think Aberdeen and Dundee United will, in a lot of people's eyes, still have a slightly better chance.

Play media

_72839643_shiels_goal.jpg

Highlights - Rangers 4-0 Dunfermline

"I counted us in the next band after Celtic and I still do. I don't think there's an awful lot between a lot of the teams there.

"But United beat St Mirren 2-1 and I watched St Johnstone three weeks ago when they beat Partick 1-0 and they weren't looking bad at all.

"You've got to say they had a fantastic result at Forfar and a lot of people would have been looking at that as a really tough fixture.

"We're in the mix but when you consider the other teams in there, I still don't think we're favourites to win the competition. I genuinely don't.

"You'd have to say Aberdeen, having knocked the holders and the champions out, would probably be most people's favourites now."

He is correct. He should be laying it on thick though - none of this "slightly better chance" stuff - he should be saying the others are odds on, quids in, absolute certs to be winning it. Lets start heaping the pressure on these other teams and taking it off our guys every chance we get.

Can see Abersheep cracking under the pressure of being favourites they've not won a trophy in 18 years and not won the Scottish cup since 1990 now every pro-celtic rag will be hyping them up to ridiculous levels and they might fall flat on their faces in the weeks to come.

Quite right too Aberdeen are clear favourites

I recall being shot down on here by many for stating their strength at the moment. Some it would seem can't remove their hatred for other teams to see facts, they are playing well and will have no fear against us should we meet them later. Would class the chances of winning as 50/50 but a home tie should see us clinch it.

I recall being shot down on here by many for stating their strength at the moment. Some it would seem can't remove their hatred for other teams to see facts, they are playing well and will have no fear against us should we meet them later. Would class the chances of winning as 50/50 but a home tie should see us clinch it.

(tu)

On Set plays alone they would cause us no ends of problems based on how shakey we are at the back.

Theres not a better crosser of the ball in Scotland than Robson just now.