In support of Dignified Silence

Bluepeter9

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our history - as you well know - is inextricably linked with the protestant working classes of the West coast of Scotland and beyond. These people built this club. They (and we) are a core element in the very fabric of the club. It's not exclusive to them and neither does it have to be - Rangers makes room for all.

Rangers still serve as an iconic, aspirational institution for many and our history and traditions brought us here - you don't think we should 'mix' any of that with Rangers.

As I said - too late. Rangers didn't become what they are today by accident.

Your religious and political beliefs have nothing to do with sport. You choose to carry those things with you into the stadium, I choose not to. Personally I don't see why people are so ready to mix religion, politics and sport. Sport has nothing in common with either. I'm not saying you shouldn't, do what you want. I'm saying I don't.

Threads like this always attract war metaphors.

Batten down the hatches!

No bad thing. It's silly, yes, but it gets people discussing war, which is the dugs baws.

Where in what he wrote did he say don't be proud of our history? What i got is nowadays separate any politics and religion from points we try to make, which i think is fair enough.

He also didn't say never react, he said don't react to everything and anything, again i think that's fair enough.

We should be challenging certain things and reacting to certain things but not every single instance.

(tu)

Now there is no point in me writing about what has happened to us, in some ways it matters not a jot how we got where we are, it has happened.

And that to me is why dignified silence will never work. If you cannot be bothered looking at the past and examining why we are in this mess then to me it renders your argument as null and void.

I personally don't think we should mix any of those things with supporting the club. There's no need to.

Away from football be as vocal and active as you want with your politics. Just not at football.

Claptrap. Football the world over is a badge of identity, a way of life. Long may that continue.

Those who want to keep politics out of football should recognise that whether we like it or not politics and football in Glasgow are now inseperable.

The RangersTaxCase blog was a perfect example of a co-ordinated attack from politically aware and motivated enemies of Rangers.

The days are long gone when our only concern was the performance of the team on the park. And it's naive, and dangerous, to think those days will return anytime soon.

I think those that are objecting to what BP9 has wrote are those that have difficultly separating supporting Rangers the football club, with defending Protestant and Unionist viewpoints.

I say that as someone who values the Union and comes from Protestant stock.

The club should not be a mouthpiece for racial, religious or political views. We can be identified with it, through the wider support base, but is not for the club to take those battles on.

Being seen as a club with a strong Protestant and Unionist history and fanbase is good and the club should develop those links to the past and also be inclusive for the future. However it is not an advocacy body for these views.

As BP9 rightly points out, we're a sporting institution and our focus should be on achieving our sporting goals. The club should only get involved in wider issues where it perceives to significantly damage the brand.

We as supporters have a duty too. Demanding the club react to each our own political viewpoints and sensitivities is a road to ruin. We need to support the club in the sporting sense and fight the political fights as a supporter group.

The vanguard bears are a great example of how this can operate.

t

Rangers have never been a mouthpiece for anything other than football and act accordingly with the laws of the land, and the vast number of the supporters do go to watch football, and yet you come on here and lecture us about how to behave ffs.

t

Rangers have never been a mouthpiece for anything other than football and act accordingly with the laws of the land, and the vast number of the supporters do go to watch football, and yet you come on here and lecture us about how to behave ffs.

Welcome to the thread, try and catch up.

Kevin also said - "Gulf War in the 1990s, both Generals Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. and Colin Powell employed principles from Sun Tzu related to deception, speed, and striking one's enemy's weak points" Glad you quoted Sun Tzu as I have enjoyed the Art of War myself, but using it in the context of what you have said? Nah....my árse

Fk I can quote (or at least paraphrase) Sun Tzu all day - try this one! Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting

Now there is no point in me writing about what has happened to us, in some ways it matters not a jot how we got where we are, it has happened.

And that to me is why dignified silence will never work. If you cannot be bothered looking at the past and examining why we are in this mess then to me it renders your argument as null and void.

Whoosh - how to deliberately miss the point!

Same old type of thread, just different words (in this case hundreds of the feckers!)

You lot suck

No you lot do

You lot suck more

No you lot do morer

You lot suck and are being loud mouthed bullies

No you lot are just preaching morals

That about covers it Danger Ranger.

Of course the solution could be for the dignified silence advocates to STFU about Dignified Silence and the more vociferous battle advocates to STFU about telling everyone we are getting annoyed and who we are gonna feck over next.

Or join the RST and then no more thinking required.....