Letter to the Herald re: Roll of (Dis) Honour

Blue72

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well seeing as my household is a walking advert for Apple maybe a phone call to tell them about my views wouldn't go wrong either.

I just bought my wife an IPad with extended warranty, apple tv box, odds and ends totalling 1000 bucks for Xmas. It's all going back on Sunday. Maybe if this side of the pond loses sales they can impact on your side of the pond.

To give such a vile project such a wide and legitimate sales platform is utterly outrageous

No doubt. I've also contacted apple customer services to make them aware they are hosting potentially illegal material likely to be seen to be inciting terrorism.

Next step Police Scotland.

But seeing as apple's offices are registered to a certain country and Police Scotland are run by Nats I don't hold out hope.

If enough of us did this we'd get somewhere....

Make a formal complaint to the police - they will have to look at it

I've written the following letter to the Herald Scotland after reading their article about the FAC campaign to put Roll of Honour to the top of the I-Tunes chart.

Before anyone gets wide and types "bears den?" - it is important that we as the Rangers support keep up the pressure on the media, politicians and make our views heard about what is and isn't acceptable to us.

If you want to keep up the pressure write a letter to letters@theherald.co.uk

All the bears have to write this

Excellent work

Great work on the OP but the Herald is infested and will never act on this.

I have written numerous posts (whenever the subject of behaviour at matches comes up) pointing out the scum at Brentford and, in particular, the Lee Rigby stuff.

Every single mention of it has been pulled.

Never happened, move along now, sweep sweep sweep...

Uphill struggle to expose this legalised celebration of murderers.

PS - this is not an SNP/independence issue - the bigots in the MSM defending the IRA go back much further than that

I've written the following letter to the Herald Scotland after reading their article about the FAC campaign to put Roll of Honour to the top of the I-Tunes chart.

Before anyone gets wide and types "bears den?" - it is important that we as the Rangers support keep up the pressure on the media, politicians and make our views heard about what is and isn't acceptable to us.

If you want to keep up the pressure write a letter to letters@theherald.co.uk

Take a bow, Sir!

That's a fantastically well written, logical and thoroughly researched letter. Well done to you, not just for the effort to actually tackle the matter head on, but for the quality of that letter. It's pretty much a shining example of a case that is rarely made and can serve as something as a blueprint for others to follow.

As an aside, John Reid was a key mover for that legislation and then, for some apparently unknown reason (Ahem!), he went very quiet-and totally blind- on the matter.

I thank you sincerely and I'm certain you will have many other grateful supporters.

post of the week.

The leftie hand wringers on here will be apalled.

No Surrender.

You and yer effing assumptions, again!

Take a bow, Sir!

That's a fantastically well written, logical and thoroughly researched letter. Well done to you, not just for the effort to actually tackle the matter head on, but for the quality of that letter. It's pretty much a shining example of a case that is rarely made and can serve as something as a blueprint for others to follow.

I thank you sincerely and I'm certain you will have many other grateful supporters.

I now expect a full retraction and apology from you. ;)

Take a bow, Sir!

As an aside, John Reid was a key mover for that legislation and then, for some apparently unknown reason (Ahem!), he went very quiet-and totally blind- on the matter.

Thanks.

If you're concerned about this issue write to the herald and apple customer service with the key points.

-roll of honour contains glorification of convicted terrorists and incites, directly or indirectly, further terrorist action

-this contravenes the terrorism act 2006

- you found it offensive they apple/the herald sold the song/printed the story

Enough people write then the more likely it is they'll take note

itunes aint arsed there response to me

"I would like to inform you that Apple welcomes and appreciates your comments and suggestions. To ensure that all artists are treated fairly, Apple's policy is not to censor artist content that may be deemed offensive, indecent, or objectionable. The possibility that customers may encounter such content is addressed in the "Objectionable Material" section of the iTunes Store Terms of Service, available by clicking the "Terms of Service" link at the bottom of the iTunes Store window in iTunes.

If you have any other queries regarding iTunes, please reply to this email. We would be happy to assist you. Thank you for being a valued member of the iTunes family.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Mukesh

iTunes Store Customer Support

itunes aint arsed there response to me

"I would like to inform you that Apple welcomes and appreciates your comments and suggestions. To ensure that all artists are treated fairly, Apple's policy is not to censor artist content that may be deemed offensive, indecent, or objectionable. The possibility that customers may encounter such content is addressed in the "Objectionable Material" section of the iTunes Store Terms of Service, available by clicking the "Terms of Service" link at the bottom of the iTunes Store window in iTunes.

If you have any other queries regarding iTunes, please reply to this email. We would be happy to assist you. Thank you for being a valued member of the iTunes family.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Mukesh

iTunes Store Customer Support

Same reply I got mate (tu)

I've replied again though stressing the main points and further describing what this song is glorifying.

Keep at it mate.

If anyone wants to try going further the email address for the head of Apple UK public relations is: ridd.tanya@apple.com

Fuck it.

Hers my original letter if anyone wants to give it a wee edit and rattle one of as well (tu)

Mr Rogers,

I had just last month had a small part of my declining faith in Apple restored after a member of your team contacted me to help me with a dispute I had over one of your products. The woman involved was extremely professional throughout and I believe she did all she could to assist me.

Even though the outcome was not one I desired, my faith in Apple's customer support was restored.

Sadly I feel I must contact you again now after seeing that Apple are hosting a song on iTunes titled "Roll of Honour" by "The Irish Brigade". This is a song praising and celebrating ten convicted terrorists, members of proscribed republican terrorist groups and is deeply offensive to any fair minded persons who reside within the UK. The country that these terrorist groups attacked, killing innocent men, women and children. It is currently, at the time of writing this, sitting at number 36 in the iTunes UK chart after a drive by a pro Irish republican group based in Glasgow who go by the name "Fans Against Criminalisation" who have been the subject of numerous police incidents in Glasgow in the last year.

In case you are not familiar with this song, here are the names of the men mentioned within this song:

Bobby Sands – Active Provisional IRA member. Convicted of possession of firearms and of possession of a gun used to fire at RUC officers after the Balmoral Furniture Company bombing in Dunmurry. He’s described in the song as “gallant”.

Francis Hughes – Active Provisional IRA member. Hughes was tried for, and found guilty of, the murder of one British Army soldier (for which he received a life sentence) and wounding of another (for which he received 14 years) in the incident which led to his capture, as well as a series of gun and bomb attacks over a six-year period.

Raymond McCreesh - Active Provisional IRA member. Convicted and sentenced to fourteen years in prison for attempted murder and possession of a rifle and ammunition.

Patsy O’Hara – Active INLA member and convicted of possessing a hand grenade.

Joe McDonnell - Active Provisional IRA member. Convicted and sentenced to 14 years in prison for possession of a firearm.

Martin Hurson – Active Provisional IRA member.Convicted of involvement in three IRA landmine incidents where several members of the Royal Ulster Constabulary and Ulster Defence Regiment narrowly escaped being killed.

Kevin Lynch – Active INLA member. Convicted and sentenced to ten years for stealing shotguns, taking part in a punishment shooting and conspiring to take arms from the security forces.

Kieran Doherty – Active Provisional IRA Member. Convicted and sentenced to 18 years for possession of firearms and explosives after being caught on his way to set a bomb.

Thomas McElwee – Active Provisional IRA member. Sentenced to 20 years prison for possession of explosives and the murder of 26-year-old Yvonne Dunlop, who was burnt alive when one of his firebombs destroyed her clothes shop.

Michael Devine – Founder member of the INLA. Convicted of firearms offences.

I am aware that it would be extremely difficult for Apple to monitor every single song hosted on ITunes but sadly this pro-terrorist song has made its way in. I find this an affront to your company and feel that if it is not removed then Apple are happy to distribute songs in praise of convicted terrorists who waged a campaign of bombings and shootings against the United Kingdom of Great Britain.

I also believe that this would breach The Prevention of Terrorism Act 1989:

The Prevention of Terrorism (Temporary Provisions) Act 1989 : Proscribed Organisations Allowed for organisations to be made illegal, making membership an arrestable offence. It was also an offence to soliciting financial support for any listed group, display signs of public support, or attend a meeting supporting a listed group or addressed by a group member. The maximum penalty was ten years' imprisonment and an unlimited fine. The initial groups outlawed were the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) and the Irish National Liberation Army (INLA) in the United Kingdom and numerous loyalistgroups within Northern Ireland.

Unfortunately, if this is not taken down, I see this as the final straw in my dealings with Apple. I will not be purchasing any more of your products and will be strongly recommending to friends and family that they do the same.

I look forward to your reply.

Then my reply to their bog standard, don't want to censor anything email:

Thank you for getting back to me, it is much appreciated.

Sadly, I do not feel this response is adequate though. There has got to be some censorship of extreme material otherwise, as is happening now, the iTunes chart becomes a platform for these extremists who are trying to put out an extremely offensive song celebrating terrorists who were all imprisoned as members of a proscribed terrorist group.

The atrocities carried out by these groups are still very raw in the minds of those affected and as someone who has close friends who have sadly had innocent family members murdered by the bombing campaign which these terrorist organisations carried out within the United Kingdom.

Just yesterday, the news reported on dissident republican groups sending malicious and dangerous mail to Army careers office's in Great Britain.

Sadly I see this as Apple condoning the song in question which I believe would sicken the British public. In my mind, if you condone the song then you must condone the actions of the men praised and celebrated within it.

There is a great sense of anger over this already and now mainstream newspapers are beginning to run with this story, mentioning your company as the store these supporters are downloading the song from.

I will follow your instructions regarding contacting the record label producing this, but as you may not be aware, and as I mentioned in my original email, this song has been launched by a pro Irish republican movement in Glasgow called "Fans Against Criminalisation" who have been the focus of numerous police investigations over the last year. Obviously contacting them will not get me anywhere and to be perfectly frank I would feel threatened if this type of group had details of myself complaining against them seen as they have been very militant in the past.

I still hope Apple have the common decency to remove this song from your library as it is a horrible insult to the innocent victims of these terrorist organisations and the families of those victims who would not expect to see Apple happy to host a song describing these terrorists as "gallant men".

Thank you again, and I look forward to your reply.

Best of luck to anyone else complaining about this (tu)

Quis Seperabit.

I think the key difference is that I explained how it breached the terrorism act.

They won't censor content because it is offensive but they would if they're going to be involved in a court case.

If we can make a formal complaint to the police then a judge would likely issue a temporary injunction to withdraw the song until a case concluded whether or not it meets the threshold for glorifying/inciting terrorist actions

I think the key difference is that I explained how it breached the terrorism act.

They won't censor content because it is offensive but they would if they're going to be involved in a court case.

If we can make a formal complaint to the police then a judge would likely issue a temporary injunction to withdraw the song until a case concluded whether or not it meets the threshold for glorifying/inciting terrorist actions

I think this has to be the point we stress when contacting Apple (tu)

They will dodge around it saying that they don't want to censor anyone but that gets blown out when it is a song deemed illegal under the Prevention of Terrorism Act which would attract unwanted negative publicity towards Apple.

I'll certainly be focussing on this point when I manage to get a more personal reply from them and in any correspondence with their head of PR.