Fiorentina memories May 1 2008

topgoalie

Watching the Fiorentina v Inter game with my son,i happened to mention that I would loved to have been in the Stadio Artemio Franchi on the night of May first 2008.It was bedlam in my house when Nacho scored THAT penalty,so for any of you lucky bassa's,would love to hear how actually being there was..?????.

Best game I've ever attended.

Whole place was electric, though we could really only see one side of the pitch due to a plastic partition that was almost opaque. Luckily the penalties were at our end so we could see.

Suffice to say it was bedlam when we went through, much hugging, greeting and general happiness.

We ended up in an Irish bar, right beside the ground and with fiorentina fans after the match, was a great laugh.

We had managed to avoid the busses that all the bears were put in and everyone that went past us was crammed full of fans doing the bouncy.

That's just brilliant Host,i envy you man.Its one of them.....I was there games.....that will be talked about for years.I have never,never celebrated a Rangers goal like that in my life.Fair play to you,I have a new found admiration for you mate...... :thumbup:

Any other game I'd have been jumping around silly after the penalty, but unlike the first helicopter Sunday, where I was still jumping and bouncing around a full hour later, I was so mentally drained from kicking every ball in the game, extra time and penalties I just laid back on the floor for twenty minutes and savoured the whole experience, knowing we were in the final.

(When the referee asked Nacho to re-spot the ball I remember thinking oh fuck that'll affect his concentration and he'll probably blast it like Vieri had seconds earlier. No chance, he held his nerve brilliantly and slotted it in.)

First ever European away game for my 21st with my old man. Went to Milan for two days before hand before travelling through to Florence on the day of the game.

Greatest night of my life supporting rangers! The buses to the ground were rocking. Locals looking at bears hanging out the bus and on top of the bus like we were nuts. Always remember singing Carlos Cuellar songs on the way there, legend!

Game is a bit of a blur as I was that nervous. Yet always remember feeling like it was out year, our destiny to get to yne final. In truth we were poor in the game and was glad of pens.

When Barry stepped up first and missed I was gutted, being one of us I couldn't help but think how upset he would've been of we had went on to lose after him missing! But the boys stood strong and when nacho slotted home the winner I broke down in tears. Whole bench running across to the crowd as nacho slid on his knees. Hugging strangers and singing! Will always have that moment with my dad, will never forget it! Watp

Watched the match in my bedroom as I'd been sleeping all day due to being on nightshift. Never got a chance to properly celebrate as I had to leave almost immediately after Novo's penalty.

Icing on the cake for me was my manager coming into work utterly raging that we had made it after claiming we'd be knocked out at every previous round and then telling us all not to bother asking for the day off for the final cos none of us were getting it. We did though.

Nik2402,that is utterly brilliant,that as a father myself would have been the best ever present I could give my son,i have time on my hands as both my sons are 15 and 14,so 2021 I hope to be in the position your father was and take them to such an iconic match.Brilliant son.......

Nik2402,that is utterly brilliant,that as a father myself would have been the best ever present I could give my son,i have time on my hands as both my sons are 15 and 14,so 2021 I hope to be in the position your father was and take them to such an iconic match.Brilliant son.......

Hopefully mate!

Only game I missed the whole season that year, was in for an operation the morn of the game woke up about lunchtime and promptly discharged myself, whole family came to mine to watch the game so I would stay in! My mum and Mrs spent the whole game with one eye on me making sure I didn't jump up. When wee nacho scored that penalty I couldnt contain myself jumped up ran the full length of the house and slid on my knees into the conservatory where my brothers, dad and mates all joined me for a huge pile up! Burst all my stitches but couldn't feel as thing being on cloud nine!

Great memory loved it thanks Walter and co another wonderful rangers memory to go with the rest.

Definitely the longest match in history it felt like 10 hours. When Cousin got sent off I was thinking he will get killed if they score now. Vieri an Italian legend missed and wee Novo stepped up. Went nuts in the house but was more relieved as had kicked every ball or headered every ball Cuellar and Weir did who were incredible all the way through.

When Ross McCormack scored for 1-1 away to porto I think that was up there with goals in Europe for celebration for me personally. Don't ask why but I went absolutely crazy when we got that goal. Ricksen headered it back across and bang. Led us to the Inter game for Last 16! Fiorentina was obviously bigger but the energy had been sucked away from defending constantly that night and needing all the luck!

I managed to get tickets for the home end and on match day, we walked up to the ground(think it was about 2/3 miles, early doors to get the lay of the place. Was a cracking day and we got our bearings. Originally planned to head back and get changed but we found a local family boozer and ended up settling in for a long day of drinking. The family were superb and in the end, they were making us free sandwiches and sending their 10 year old daughter over with fresh beer every 5/10 minutes without paying a penny to the end. The bill was crazily cheap and we ended up chipping in 50 euro for the wee lassie who had pretty much served us all day until the zonal curfew kicked in at 5pm(i think)

Never made it back to the hotel and 90 mins before game time, we took our seats in the Home end where most were welcoming apart from a big fukking Mags Haney lookalike who growled and shouted at us in Italian much to the amusement of everyone around us. I spotted that there was a big gap between our fans pen and the home fans and took a walk over and spoke to one of the ground officials. I explained there was about 200-300 of us in that end and that it would be good if he could allow us to all congregate at that part. He brought the police over and they talked it through then said to go and get my friends and anyone else i could see. :thumbup:

Got them over and said to a number of bears on the way past to come and join us which they did. 4 became 10 which became 50 and before you knew it there was about 200-300 of us in the home end but right beside our own fans penned in. One of the boys managed to shimmy up a lampost to get the Union Flag flying and the police were superb about it, letting him and having a laugh.

The game was murder and despite the amount of drink in me, as someone else said, it was absolutely energy sapping. Just felt like we had parked the bus and were trying to drain the life out of them, which in the end worked. Got to the penalties and i watched Fergies, which by the way, was a better penalty than a number of our others that scored, but from there on in, i didnt watch a single penalty. I sat down with my head in my hands and reacted to the boys around me. When we got to Nachos, i couldnt change the luck, so again, on the ground, head in hands and bam, the next 10 minutes were a blur. Sheer disbelief, going mental, sitting quiet, jumping about, laughing, crying, every emotion known to man.

The Fiorentina fans next to us all came and shook our hands and wished us good luck which was superb and then we walked the 3 miles back singing from the minute we left the stadium until we got back into the centre. Was an unbelievable day and night and by an absolute country mile the best overall away trip.

Have to say that Florence was beautiful and we even managed to have a bite to eat at Lorenzo's :thumbup:

Watching the Fiorentina v Inter game with my son,i happened to mention that I would loved to have been in the Stadio Artemio Franchi on the night of May first 2008.It was bedlam in my house when Nacho scored THAT penalty,so for any of you lucky bassa's,would love to hear how actually being there was..?????.

Was fantastic. Was lucky to get a ticket as I wasn't in the Travel Club back then (always got sorted but thought I'd have struggled with that one)

Flew to Bristol and spent the night with FrankieJo on here then flew out to Pisa the next day.

Stayed in a cracking villa in the middle of the Tuscan mountains one of the most beautiful places I've seen.

The guy who managed the hotel run a mini bus and took us all to the game. Then we got back about midnight and had a pool party and a sash-bash and you seen all the other guests in the nearby villa's on site packing their shit and driving off in their motors in the middle of the night :lol: the manager was so angry he refused to serve us anything from the bar the next day the wee bastard, fuck him, wee bus journey into Livorno and crates of Peroni for about 9 euros a pop got bought ...

On the flight home some guy bought a £150 bottle of Champagne and gave every bear on the flight a glass of it.

My biggest memory of this match was pure joy at winning, the fact it was my birthday made it 10 times better. However, the rest of the night went rapidly down hill. Walking home decided to hotwire a tractor, proceeded to drive it up a street, lift a car with the fork lift on it, crashed it into a lamppost, ran away from the police and went to bed.

Next day, woke up to a knock at the door, got lifted, charged with damage to public property, driving without insurance, theft and leaving the scene of an accident!

6 months later fined £1500 and 6 points. Only bonus was I was not proven to be under the influence!! :)