applause or silence

gordon123

At the Emirates the players were linking arms obviously expecting a silence, the stadium PA announced a silence, but some performing seals had already started clapping and the whole thing ended up a bit of a mish-mash but the main thing was that there was no malice intended and respects were paid to a football legend.

I feel the applause thing all started with foreign tourists at Princess Diana's funeral. Personally I don't like it, I feel a reflective minute of silence is much more respectful at a time of loss.

To be honest my answer would be neither.

I watched the minutes silence at the Man City v Chelsea match and their were only 2 Englishmen on the pitch. It is getting ridiculous to expect all and sundry to mourn people they have barely heard of. It simply mirrors todays touchy feely society

A minute's silence is appropriate when its the war dead or a tragedy. A minutes applause to celebrate a man who's lived a full life and has made a large impact on society in some way is also appropriate.

I would agree with this.

To mourn someone who's led a full, rich life until the age of 91 seems pointless to me. We all die at some point, and to die at 91 isn't a tragedy in my eyes, it's simply life taking its course. I would say in cases like this it's far more appropriate to applause their contribution and achievements.

I think a silence is only appropriate if it's to commemorate a tragedy, or someone who's life has been cut short.

Remembering/Celebrating the life of someone who's passed away should always be marked with a silence.

Having an applause is nothing more than an effort to drown out the idiots who spoil it. Nothing to do with a silence being morbid or any of the other excuses we're given. Simple as that.

The guys saying someone who passed away in their 90's deserve an applause rather than a silence because they've lived a full life are full of shite as well frankly. You wouldn't stand at the funeral of said person and clap your hands and cheer so a mark of respect at a football match should be no different.

Fed up with traditions being changed to accomodate idiots.

Remembering/Celebrating the life of someone who's passed away should always be marked with a silence.

Having an applause is nothing more than an effort to drown out the idiots who spoil it. Nothing to do with a silence being morbid or any of the other excuses we're given. Simple as that.

The guys saying someone who passed away in their 90's deserve an applause rather than a silence because they've lived a full life are full of shite as well frankly. You wouldn't stand at the funeral of said person and clap your hands and cheer so a mark of respect at a football match should be no different.

Fed up with traditions being changed to accomodate idiots.

Even if the family request applause as their preference? As I said in an earlier post, the wishes of the family should be paramount in such cases. You dont seem to have grasped respectful applause as opposed to 'applause and cheering' the two are distinct and I have attended at least one funeral where there was respectful applause to celebrate the life of a young footballer, at the behest of his parents.

Respecting the wishes of the family is, by far, the most important thing whether it fits with tradition or not.

It's a cultural thing and Brits tend towards silence as the Europeans, especially the more southern countries, tend to applause. There's so many foreign players/managers in this country now, it seems to have become somewhat confused and authorities never know what to do, as the crowds never seem to be able to either.

I prefer silence. It's more traditional to me as I'm older and I remain silent although all about me are applauding away.