How good could Charlie Miller have been

MrMccoist

When you think of a waste of talent you tend to think on Charlie Miller (welcome to any other suggestions Derek Ferguson?)

But just how good could he Miller have been if he screwed the nut

world class? SPL Class? Top League Abroad Class?

Just watching some 95/96 footage and he was shit hot when breaking through

But how good could he have been?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could have been excellent, but I'm not sure how far he could have gone. Him befriending gazza etc was his downfall. When I think of wasted Rangers talent I think of Durrant.

Aye I exclude Durrant as you file that under not his fault.

Whereas I mean with Miller it was very much his own love of the bevvy and the company he kept.

Durrant is the best natural talent ive seen us produce in my lifetime.

Its difficult to see how tell how far Miller could have gone . Perhaps a top SPL player and a scotland international with far more caps than one.

Mind him bursting on the scene at the first old firm game when Piggery getting rebuilt and they were at Hampden he was superb only second to Laudrup as man of the match

Dunno if he soon thought he made it after that

Couple of boys I know played against him at Rangers reserves level 1992/1994 and they told me he was superb an absolute ned but superb talent

Brought up in castlemilk as a tarrier, saw the light but being dragged up in a community of jakey bams will always have an impact.

Correct a jump the dyke but his alliances are defo with us I've been next to him at the Rangers end at piggery before and my mate said to him "you sure your in the right end" and he replied "are you? You look like one a them" :lol:

Correct a jump the dyke but his alliances are defo with us I've been next to him at the Rangers end at piggery before and my mate said to him "you sure your in the right end" and he replied "are you? You look like one a them" :lol:

:lol:

Doesn't matter who they grow up supporting as long as they give their all in the shirt.

Unless it's Chris Burke, Ross McCormack or Kyle Hutton of course!

Back in the day, i was a regular at the reserve and youth games and Charlie was an absolute standout. I used to tell all the guys on our bus that this boy was going to be our future. Charlie will tell you himself that he was very easily influenced and i think growing up in a dressing room with some bad influences didnt help him. He once got dropped from a Semi Final because the older players had sent him to the bookies to put all their coupons on and Archie Knox walked in and physically dragged him out and marched him back to the Hilton where Watty told him to GTF.

I believe if he was coming through the now, he would be in a completely different place.

Having said that, the stories he can tell about The goalie, Ally, Gazza, Derek Ferguson, Durranty and him are amazing. :lol: Its hard to imagine actually, just how good we were back in the day considering some of the shit our players used to get up to, though im sure that happened in every dressing room. (tu)

I played against him at school level and Miller was miles ahead of any player I had seen, my school had some really good players but none of them were even a million miles near Miller, there were rumours he had failed an internal drug test and that's why he was suddenly sent down to Watford and I know he was caught in the Savoy with Ectasy on him in the toilets, hard to say how far he could have went maybe not a first team Man UTD player but I think he could have got into 1 of the bigger clubs in England.

Miller a cross between Durrant and Barry Ferguson imo.Swally and Gazza's arrival were his downfall.Had a great spell with Dundee utd but defo an underachiever considering his talent.Seen him at 16 playing for reserves at Ibrox and he was in a different league from everyone else on the park .Had a great football brain on the park but like Gazza had a ned's brain off it.

I think Charlie Miller fell into that category of "Think they've made it" sort of players. Bursting into the first team, putting on a few good shows, and then thinking they're the Bollox, whilst clowning around with the likes of Gazza and hitting the booze, ruined himself. Such a shame too, he'd of been outstanding if he'd kept putting in 100%

Off topic a bit as I know he did make it,but big Dunc's departure from us always rankled with me. I just knew he would be quality but then all the other trouble maybe made it impossible for him to stay, just thought it may calm down then we would see the best of him.

Off topic a bit as I know he did make it,but big Dunc's departure from us always rankled with me. I just knew he would be quality but then all the other trouble maybe made it impossible for him to stay, just thought it may calm down then we would see the best of him.

If we'd signed big Dunc and loaned him back to Utd till big Hateley left then Jim McLean may have sorted him out but i agree it's sad we never got to see him in full flow at Gers caus he was a top player .

Could have been excellent, but I'm not sure how far he could have gone. Him befriending gazza etc was his downfall. When I think of wasted Rangers talent I think of Durrant.

Bit strong to blame Gazza is it not. Charlie Miller was a very talented individual who found 'getting pished' something he appeared proud of. I recall one evening Durie having to pour him into a taxi. This was on an evening out for the full 1st team squad and only one player was OTT. Yep pity but I reckon CM would have self-destructed without Gazza's assistance.

Wasted talent

1. Durrant - more butchered than wasted -- heartbreaking to see a guy so talented and COMMITTED not realizing his full potential due to an animal.
  2. Derek Ferguson - IMHO - a better player than his brother - never reached full potential
  3. John Macdonald -- ditto DF - great talent but another 'what if' type character

I think Charlie Miller fell into that category of "Think they've made it" sort of players. Bursting into the first team, putting on a few good shows, and then thinking they're the Bollox, whilst clowning around with the likes of Gazza and hitting the booze, ruined himself. Such a shame too, he'd of been outstanding if he'd kept putting in 100%

What age are you?