Rangers star Wallace has no fears over Scotland future Rangers left-back Lee W

Bothwellbear

Rangers star Wallace has no fears over Scotland future

Rangers left-back Lee Wallace insists he has no concerns over his international future despite missing out on a place in the latest Scotland squad.

Friday 21/02/2014

0 Comments

Print

1392994444-161.jpg

Lee Wallace thanked Gordon Strachan for call telling him he was not in Scotland squad

Wallace was not included in Gordon Strachan's group for next month's friendly against Poland and saw 19-year-old Dundee United left-back Andrew Robertson and Sunderland full-back Phil Bardsley selected instead.

But Wallace does not believe the fact he is plying his trade in Scottish football's third tier should be a barrier to future call-ups.

He said: "I've never worried about it to be honest. You go back to the previous manager's comments that it would be difficult to pick players in this division.

"But I've always been professional, I've never taken the huff and I've never been too downbeat about it. I've always stayed positive and focused on my job at Rangers and on doing well.

"The new manager came in and said if you were doing well at that particular time, you would always have a chance no matter what level you were at.

"I took great confidence from that and the fact that I was in three or four of his squads. I will never get too negative on the situation."

Wallace praised Strachan for picking up the telephone and telling him personally he had just missed out.

He said: "He did give me a call, just to make me aware that I wasn't going to be in the squad this time around.

"Of course there is that bit of disappointment but I said to him I appreciated the call.

"I thought it was good management in the sense that he said I deserved a call, he was aware of what I was doing and I just missed out this time around.

"I've got a big game on Saturday, and big games coming up, so that's just what I'm looking forward to."

LEE WALLACE admits he was disappointed not to be picked for the Scotland squad for next month’s friendly against Poland but he accepted Gordon Strachan’s decision.

The national team boss got in contact with the Gers star to tell him he had not made it into his 24-man squad with 19-year-old Dundee United left back Andrew Robertson getting a call up and Sunderland full-back Phil Bardsley also returning to bolster the manager’s defensive options.

Wallace, of course, has been outstanding for the Light Blues this season having made 30 appearances in all competitions and found the net twice.

His marauding runs and deliveries from the left flank have also set up so many goals for the League One leaders and this was highlighted again last weekend when his superb cross allowed Jon Daly to head home Rangers’ crucial second goal against Ayr United at Somerset Park.

Speaking today at Murray Park he said: “Of course there was that bit of disappointment but at the same time, and as I said to Gordon Strachan on the phone, I appreciated the call and it was good management.

“He said I deserved a call and he was aware of what I was doing and I was just missing out this time around.

“Obviously some of the main men are back. Darren Fletcher is the most experienced and the pick of the guys that are back involved.

"There’s great competition in the squad now, the team is doing well and the manager has done great.

“I enjoyed the squads I was in and who knows if I if I am still in the plans or not? I’ll just have to do what I’ve always done and that is focus on what I do in here and what I do for Rangers on a Saturday.

“That’s how I see things. I’m never going to get too negative about the situation, I’ll always stay focused on what I need to do in here and that’s how it will stay.”

Wallace believes the competition for places in the Scotland squad is getting stronger and stronger but he insists that can only be good for the national team going forward.

He said: “I’ve said it before the manager is getting the team back on the right track and there’s definitely been progress, I’ve felt that even training with the squads. It’s also been evident in some of the results so we are definitely moving in the right direction.

“You always relish competition. That’s the nature of the game and it always helps because when you have that competition you know you need to be on your game.

“When you go into the squads you need to do well and stay in the manager’s plans. Obviously if that comes around again that’s what I’ll be trying to look to do.”

Also speaking this morning at Murray Park, Gers manager Ally McCoist was asked if he was surprised by Wallace’s omission from the squad.

He said: “I probably was a little, yes, but if I’m going to be honest about it I’m over it quite quickly because it obviously means he can concentrate totally on our league games.

“But Gordon doesn’t tell me how to pick my team and I’m certainly not going to tell him how to pick his. He’s doing absolutely fine.”

This is disgraceful from strachan but he probably has an agenda in trying to get Lee to make a move. Despicable tactics from this ginger headed wee slug but predictable from somebody who has taken the athletic wings coin. Looks as though he's still doing liewwells bidding !

This is disgraceful from strachan but he probably has an agenda in trying to get Lee to make a move. Despicable tactics from this ginger headed wee slug but predictable from somebody who has taken the athletic wings coin. Looks as though he's still doing liewwells bidding !

:lol:

I have a lot of time for Strachan. May be wrong here , but can't remember any personal criticisms of Rangers like TLB does. Remember him calling the guy that spat at PLG a moron ( can you imagine that happening now ? ) . He also mentioned how petty it was that some moaned at his blue car. Not to mention giving LW a cap when the previous manager said he wouldn't pick him in the lower divisions.

I have a lot of time for Strachan. May be wrong here , but can't remember any personal criticisms of Rangers like TLB does. Remember him calling the guy that spat at PLG a moron ( can you imagine that happening now ? ) . He also mentioned how petty it was that some moaned at his blue car. Not to mention giving LW a call when the previous manager said he wouldn't pick him in the lower divisions.

He's no gettin picked now in a higher division, funny how Boyd's gettin left out as well, but then I know there are people at sfa headquarters that wanted Boyd left out when he was at Rangers !

He's no gettin picked now in a higher division, funny how Boyd's gettin left out as well, but then I know there are people at sfa headquarters that wanted Boyd left out when he was at Rangers !

Boyd's a different subject.

All I'm saying is my estimation of Strachan is that he's not that petty . Or agenda struck. I'm as disappointed as any Bear that LW hasn't been picked , but I don't think it is any anti -Gers strategy. I'm sure Lee will figure again very soon.

I am delighted the idea of our star player picking up injuries from the shambolic Scottish clique. Is it a surprise that the team consists of Liewell and Arab Thompson' s squads no. If i was Lee i would decline the next call up or looking for relatives in another nation a 19year old inexperienced guy at best should be a sub but Lee not even on bench just highlights the absurd and obscene set up in the nation

Feck Strachan

Boyd's a different subject.

All I'm saying is my estimation of Strachan is that he's not that petty . Or agenda struck. I'm as disappointed as any Bear that LW hasn't been picked , but I don't think it is any anti -Gers strategy. I'm sure Lee will figure again very soon.

I can see there is no arguing with you on the the merits of this little weasel. Na he'd never be petty or agenda struck even though he was at snake mountain when they went on that infamous tour of japan or not depending on how petty or agenda struck you want to be !

I have a lot of time for Strachan. May be wrong here , but can't remember any personal criticisms of Rangers like TLB does. Remember him calling the guy that spat at PLG a moron ( can you imagine that happening now ? ) . He also mentioned how petty it was that some moaned at his blue car. Not to mention giving LW a cap when the previous manager said he wouldn't pick him in the lower divisions.

Gave him a cap and he was stand out. Their loss.

It's win win for me

If he's left out then great as I don't want any players of ours representing that filth at Hampden and the transvestites in the stand

If he's called up then there's more chance of him staying and being happy here as his international ambitions are still getting fulfilled