McCoist to blame for the penalty?

scarkev

Now clearly the title here is an exaggeration of my point and there is no way you can blame the manager for a player giving away a penalty or for a referee awarding a dubious decision.

That said, watching the incident again it's noticeable how many of our own players are challenging for the ball at the same time and to me it comes back to this strange tactic of having everyone back at corners where players get in each other's way and there are so many players in the box there is a good chance penalties could be conceded (if we persist with it).

On another few occasions stenny had two players free at the edge of the box and more technically proficient teams will punish us!

I just don't understand it! It puts the team under pressure and invites the opposition to overload in the box whilst denying us an outball! Even when we clear it, we struggle to retain possession or start counter attacks. What does tempelton or aird offer defending a corner?

Again the title is an exaggeration but if we persist with this tactic I guarantee it will cost us more and more against better teams!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no sorry cant blame him for that, that is totally down to ref, though your point about two players at edge of the box is valid , we have 10 outfield players and none of them are marking players on edge of the box

As I say it is a deliberately misleading and exaggerated title to hopefully stimulate a discussion on the tactic of bringing everyone back to defend set pieces which I believe will cost us more and more against better teams....I'd love to hear from someone who thinks its a good idea and why?

Now clearly the title here is an exaggeration of my point and there is no way you can blame the manager for a player giving away a penalty or for a referee awarding a dubious decision.

That said, watching the incident again it's noticeable how many of our own players are challenging for the ball at the same time and to me it comes back to this strange tactic of having everyone back at corners where players get in each other's way and there are so many players in the box there is a good chance penalties could be conceded (if we persist with it).

On another few occasions stenny had two players free at the edge of the box and more technically proficient teams will punish us!

I just don't understand it! It puts the team under pressure and invites the opposition to overload in the box whilst denying us an outball! Even when we clear it, we struggle to retain possession or start counter attacks. What does tempelton or aird offer defending a corner?

Again the title is an exaggeration but if we persist with this tactic I guarantee it will cost us more and more against better teams!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow the title, the post! The depths some people will go to have there name in lights and a wee dig at our manager!!! You can't make this shit up - oh wait scarkev just has!

He's also to blame for the flooding, global warming, and monetary fiscal policy, but he is definitely not responsible for just about winning this league at a canter. Absolutely positively close to unimpeachably so.

See this was the other point of the title....to bring out the exaggerated views on ally (pro/con). If you actually read the post instead of the title you would see that!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow the title, the post! The depths some people will go to have there name in lights and a wee dig at our manager!!! You can't make this shit up - oh wait scarkev just has!

:lol: knew you'd pipe up.....again the title is deliberate to emphasise the exaggerations on both ends of the debate whilst discussing the tactic of everyone back for corners! But hey I'm glad you stuck to type! :lol:

I don't see the point in playing a style that we cant push forward with in the future.

We wont get away with this in Europe and we will get punished against sides who have guys with an eye for goal outside the 18 yard box.

I'm aware Ally isn't the only manager adopting these tactics but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

I don't see the point in playing a style that we cant push forward with in the future.

We wont get away with this in Europe and we will get punished against sides who have guys with an eye for goal outside the 18 yard box.

I'm aware Ally isn't the only manager adopting these tactics but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

On paper I understand the logic in so much as the best chance part time teams have if scoring is from set pieces but as you rightly say better teams will easily exploit this! What tends to happen aswell is players pass on responsibility or end up getting in one another's way trying to clear and makes it difficult for us to get out! Better teams will pin us in and I'm convinced it will cost us more penalties aswell because if do many players in the 18 yard box all it takes is a 'dodgy' ref to see the slightest of nudges and we will get punished!

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was posted by the referee, given some of the strange decisions we saw.

:lol: I deliberately used an exaggerated title to bring in the likes of BP9 into a reasoned analysis on the tactic of having everyone back at corners! I'm still hopeful someone will give a justification/argument for this tactic.....

Because this does not happen in every other thread anyway. I think it is called shit stirring is it not?

No not at all.....I feel this tactic will cost us and I would like those posters who refuse to critisice the manager for anything to give a reasoned analysis if why it is a useful tactic! I mean there are lots of things they could say including the little amount of goals we have conceeded this season in general or from set pieces but instead the reaction is defensive! The hope of the title is to bring those posters into a reasoned debate!

As I say it is a deliberately misleading and exaggerated title to hopefully stimulate a discussion on the tactic of bringing everyone back to defend set pieces which I believe will cost us more and more against better teams....I'd love to hear from someone who thinks its a good idea and why?

DJ is against it so it must be a good idea. :lol:

​If we keep two outfield players near the half-way line the they need three back to cover.

What use is Black and Aird (just two examples) defending at corners

Liable to make more mistakes in a crowded penalty area and it restricts the room the goalie has to come for cross-balls - Assuming Bell actually leaves his line. Cammy Bell is not the world's tallest keeper but at 6ft he should be able to command the penalty box --- why not??

11 players back is a rather odd tactic but then again so is playing Law in deep midfield but my own favourite is our midfield engaging a reverse gear when the opposition attacks --- it only piles pressure on an already wobbly defence.

No not at all.....I feel this tactic will cost us and I would like those posters who refuse to critisice the manager for anything to give a reasoned analysis if why it is a useful tactic! I mean there are lots of things they could say including the little amount of goals we have conceeded this season in general or from set pieces but instead the reaction is defensive! The hope of the title is to bring those posters into a reasoned debate!

I for one don't think it was a tactic per say. More a no one trusting the back two. Panic in the box.

Seriously? What is it with people constantly looking to blame our manager at every opportunity? Yes his tactics and selection can be questioned at times but ffs we are all meant to be SUPPORTERS. Look in the dictionary or type it into Google and learn the meaning of it.

Seriously? What is it with people constantly looking to blame our manager at every opportunity? Yes his tactics and selection can be questioned at times but ffs we are all meant to be SUPPORTERS. Look in the dictionary or type it into Google and learn the meaning of it.

:lol: another example of someone reading the title and not the post.....another point if the title! You aknowledge his tactics can be questioned which is what I'm doing.....do you have any point to make about the tactic if bringing everyone back for a set piece?

He's not to blame but the way we defend corners is a laughable and archaic pile of dung.

What does Fraser Aird offer as a defender at a corner, please someone tell me.

I know that mate....the point of the title was to emphasise how many only read the title if something and not the points made whilst trying to get those posters who deem it a sin to criticise the manager for anything to engage in a discussion about why they feel this tactic is worthwhile! So far nobody has taken that opportunity but many have taken the bait!