High Intensity, High Pressing, Entertaining Football?

scarkev

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like a valid response yes! Not the usual rhetoric about how great a guy ally is and how the illegal transfer embargo means he can't be judged etc!

I am fully aware based purely on results he is achieving his objectives but long term are we progressing? Is grinding our way through the divisions not just going to lead us back down the same route as before of overpaying trying to compete with Celtic with only short term aims?

No, my perspective is much more simple.

Yes, the embargo has a major impact on the players we have, our financial situation reinforces this. We basically have the best free transfers we could build almost an entire squad with.

I am thoroughly disappointed with the form at the moment, I had high hopes that we would use the cup opportunity to set us up, but instead our attitude in the League seems to have simply been a switch off.

I don't put this down to the manager being inept, and I tend to think that the points we have obtained this season shows that he can get the required outcome, the issue is with the style (or lack of it).

My real problem is that I don't think the fans understood what we were going to be in for when we went to Division 3, this is sadly the reality of the lower league - cold, windy, crap Tuesday nights in Stranraer where we can win when the players don't seem to care much. Some of the expectations of what we were going to be are just a bit ludicrous unfortunately, so I can take how we are doing just now, clearly other's can't.

It happens the world over. Its happening to our rivals in the East. There is no competition. The players are not motivated. It's like the last few games of the season when the league is settled except we have had months of this. The league was a foregone conclusion and the world knows it. No wonder some of the players are going through the motions. Scottish football is fucked until we are playing that mob again to make it a contest.

No, my perspective is much more simple.

Yes, the embargo has a major impact on the players we have, our financial situation reinforces this. We basically have the best free transfers we could build almost an entire squad with.

I am thoroughly disappointed with the form at the moment, I had high hopes that we would use the cup opportunity to set us up, but instead our attitude in the League seems to have simply been a switch off.

I don't put this down to the manager being inept, and I tend to think that the points we have obtained this season shows that he can get the required outcome, the issue is with the style (or lack of it).

My real problem is that I don't think the fans understood what we were going to be in for when we went to Division 3, this is sadly the reality of the lower league - cold, windy, crap Tuesday nights in Stranraer where we can win when the players don't seem to care much. Some of the expectations of what we were going to be are just a bit ludicrous unfortunately, so I can take how we are doing just now, clearly other's can't.

But that perspective of the lower leagues is not a reality! I think people still have this belief we are playing against clobbers and old pros who use every dirty tactic and head the ball more than they kick it! The truth is the majority of teams we play (not all) try to play football, have young squads and on general the pitches have not been that bad.

Our approach from the word go has been wrong both in terms of style of play and signing policy....we have just slipped back into the philosophy of just winning will do which in many ways is good and fine at this level but there is no long term progression or foresight and ultimately when we get back to the top we will have to spend millions to compete with Celtic! I don't think anybody expected us to be playing like barca but when our players struggle to make a simple pass and the go to option is a long punt forward questions have to be asked!

Nowadays crowds are falling at almost all teams because there are far more options available and if the product is not entertaining many will turn away/turn over.....the traditionalists may not like it but just being rangers isn't enough anymore and we have to start giving the fans something back!

If as others have said motivation is the issue why haven't we brought in some young hungry players to increase the passion and intensity?

It happens the world over. Its happening to our rivals in the East. There is no competition. The players are not motivated. It's like the last few games of the season when the league is settled except we have had months of this. The league was a foregone conclusion and the world knows it. No wonder some of the players are going through the motions. Scottish football is fucked until we are playing that mob again to make it a contest.

They have 2 certain, 3 probable and 4 possible cup games to look forward to.

Much was made of Sunderland players playing themselves out of the League Cup Final last weekend by a poor performance v Arsenal.

Are our players that sure of themselves, they can turn in 60% performances & still know they'll get picked?

The players can't be fucked in league games now. It's a matter of just doing enough to get over the line.

I really think this is it, and I think the Scottish Cup will prove it.

I'm sure they'll be up for it against Albion Rovers, even if they're not a big club. However, I think if we play a top tier team we'll be really up for it and the difference will be obvious as they all try to prove a point against their fellow professionals.

I'm sure they'll be up for it against Albion Rovers, even if they're not a big club. However, I think if we play a top tier team we'll be really up for it and the difference will be obvious as they all try to prove a point against their fellow professionals.

It's spreading into the stands as well Oleg..

Fans are thinking if the players can't be arsed then why should they.

hmmmm.....it won't be easy raising the level after playing apathetic shite for the last few weeks.

If that's the case (which it may be) then it's time to get the kids in who are passionate and have something to prove! The fact the same group of players know they will play, if fit, regardless of form can't be good for motivation.....if that is the case then the manager has to do something to get more out the players as they are cheating the fans!

This (tu) been saying this for months, no chance of good football when they know it doesn't matter because A we will probably win last gasp like tonight and B they will all play again the next game.

Major overhall of the starting eleven needed, starting at Fife on Sat.

I'm not doubting this Oleg but if this is indeed the case is it not the managers job to do something about that? Is it not his job to help motivate the players and get the best out of them? If some have indeed put the tools away why do the same players get picked most weeks?

It's no surprise that our only decent performance over the last few months was Dunfermline in the Scottish Cup when we actually needed to win. The players are going through the motions as they're is basically nothing to play for.

I'm not saying its right but I think it's true.

The players can't be fucked in league games now. It's a matter of just doing enough to get over the line.

Sadly I think this might be the case, maybe playing against postmen and plumbers doesn't do it for our players. Let's see we play against lower league opposition in the SC can we raise our game against them.

I agree with the point that i is very difficult for the player to care when they don't even need to try that hard to win, as evidenced by the fact we have strolled the league without needing to go into second gear. I used to think we followed a similar pattern under Walter, we would start the season well, looking fresh and playing some exciting football, but as the season wore on we would resort to grinding out the results.

What seems to be a big difference is that when we were under performing, Walter would put the boot in to anybody playing shite. I remember how often it would happen that Walter would have to march down from the director's box to bark instructions out when it looked like Ally, Durrant and Kenny couldn't change things.

The OP is right though, there is a distinct lack of identity on the park, which is shocking for a management team that has been here for 7 years.

High Pressing yet our most influential attacking midfield player, Law, is constantly dropped deep.

High Intensity, to me, implies chasing every ball. Yet we have a midfield who, its worse when MacLeod is not playing, are constantly in reverse gear allowing the opposition freedom to attack. This only puts added pressure on an already shaky defense. Saw this under Walter as well.

Entertaining football --- fuk that for a game of soldiers -- results are all that matters - fuk building for the future.

This season, like last we are winning but in terms of on-field performance we have made little improvement since our very first game, after financial meltdown, against Brechin.

Surely if we the fans can spot the problems then so could our one of our many full-time coaches.

Better to judge us when it actually matters now.

For all I care, we could play shite the rest of the league season but:

- Beat Albion Rovers

- Beat Raith Rovers

- Win SC semi

- Win SC final

For me, the performances haven't been good enough by any stretch and I'm not convinced that Ally should be our long term manager but i would suggest as long as we see progress next season, he should be allowed a chance to manage us in the premiership.

A voice of reason....

I don't see the point of all these anti-Ally threads. Do the anti-Ally posters really beleive anything is going to happen this year.

I have to say that I don't expect Ally to stay when we're in the top league, or maybe for one season, but he'll definitely go once the top dogs on the board see that his lack of managerial prowess is exposed and ST sales drop, but I don't see us geting rid of him just now.

Before the start of the season we had a number of players and managment staff come out and tell us how Ally was wanting to play a high pressing, high intensity style of football that would enterain the fans, Nicky Law's interview stands out. Now the question I have is; was that just a lie to sell tickets or if that indeed was the aim, what has happened?

We started the season reasonably well but almost exactly like last year the performances have deterioated as the season has went on and many of our signings have regressed. What are we doing in training? What is our gameplan? What is our strategey? We have no identity on the pitch and our ball retention is abysmal! I dont think I have ever seen a professional team of our stature struggle as badly to keep possession!

I know some on here have a complete blindness and defense mechanisim towards the manager but without all the sob story excuses, he seems clueless when it comes to tactics and making changes to influence matches. I can already predict the responses that will come here from the same posters but we are playing in a part time league and the performances are off putting! Whether or not some of you want to accept it, football is an entertainment business and I am sorry but I am seriously struggling to see anything entertaining in the way we play.

We had a fantastic chance to use the feel good factor after the cup results to kick on but instead we have went backwards.....Its not good enough and something has to change because at this rate you can forget fans boycotting because of off field issues because they will leave in their droves if this is the football we are subjected to.

:lol: this from the man who wanted to blame Ally for the penalty last week! :lol: :lol:

A voice of reason....

Really? So it's ok for the players to cheat the paying fans week after week with insipid performances as long as they turn it on in the cup?

We have no intensity or style in our performances and I don't believe it's that easy just to turn that on like a tap! I'm amazed at the amount of posters who almost seem accepting of this malaise in our performances. Surely it is the job if the manager to get the best out of his players and if some are going through the motions why aren't they being replaced? Why aren't youngsters with something to prove getting a run?

If you settle for mediocracy then that exactly what you'll get!

:lol: this from the man who wanted to blame Ally for the penalty last week! :lol: :lol:

:lol: you never let me down.....I just wish william hill offered bets on you....so predictable! Clearly that thread has went over your head but achieved its goal of exposing those posters who are unable to engage in a positive discussion about our tactics or the manager!

I don't see the point of all these anti-Ally threads. Do the anti-Ally posters really beleive anything is going to happen this year.

I have to say that I don't expect Ally to stay when we're in the top league, or maybe for one season, but he'll definitely go once the top dogs on the board see that his lack of managerial prowess is exposed and ST sales drop, but I don't see us geting rid of him just now.

That's like saying you don't see the point in a thread about our finances or about signings.....it's an opinion. At the start of the season a big song and dance was made about how we were going to play and approach games yet we have to endure almost the polar opposite of what we were promised! Why?