The early Murray years

GOAT

Listening to some rhat coming on praising McCann on SSB even though to a man they all hated him. But the tarriers are good at re-writing history I suppose.

Anyway, this rhat claimed we lived outwith our means in the 90's, can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when we were regularly pumping the bheggers in the late 80's and 90's we were actually making profit most years, and it wasn't until money took over football in the late 90's early 00's we started living outwith our own means?

As I said the tarriers are good at re-writing history I suppose.

Squinty McCann needed 3 shares issues, a £36m co-op loan which they are still paying off to this day and millions in help from GCC to get them back on track. Add that to a sympathetic/biased press who said nothing about celtic football and athletic club using charitable status to dodge tax for over a century and it was not all that hard for him to fix that mob.

It depends how you define living outwith your means. We used EBTs and 'didn't gain a competitive advantage' from the late 90s onwards. We had a wealthy owner (who you could argue WAS part of our means) that spent money and put us into debt, but then paid the debt off himself, also from the late 90s onwards. You could argue that we lived within our means until Whyte stopped paying tax. Regardless of how you view it, it certainly wasn't until the Advocaat era. I tend to think that we didn't do anything wrong until Whyte.

It depends how you define living outwith your means. We used EBTs and 'didn't gain a competitive advantage' from the late 90s onwards. We had a wealthy owner (who you could argue WAS part of our means) that spent money and put us into debt, but then paid the debt off himself, also from the late 90s onwards. You could argue that we lived within our means until Whyte stopped paying tax. Regardless of how you view it, it certainly wasn't until the Advocaat era. I tend to think that we didn't do anything wrong until Whyte.

EBT's weren't used until 2001.

Edit. Plus they have been proven in a court to be perfectly legal.

Jesus, I agree with goat. They are VERY good at rewriting history. Remember Burns was a universally loved Celtic boss, even the ones chasing him down London road loved him apparently.

We were living within our means in the 90s. It may have been fairly borderline but we weren't spending vast sums we couldn't afford. The 00's were a different story but as you said, they are good at rewriting history.

Yeah im sure Walter left with us in the black. Only Mintys stupidity after really hurt us, before then he was probably still an arsehole but a fairly rational arsehole after The Dutch Revolution he lost all sense of reason chasing the CL dream and we have paid for it ever since. Btw fuck mccan the bheasts celebrating their own newco but the press wont mention pacific shelf will they.

EBT's weren't used until 2001.

Edit. Plus they have been proven in a court to be perfectly legal.

I know. Maybe it wasn't that clear but It's part of the point I'm making. We were fine in the 90s. We were fine in the 00s. We lived outwith our means only under Whyte.

Definitely profitable during 9 in a row. Was only when Murray chased the European dream when we got up to 60 or 70 million worth of debt. Even then all that was mostly paid off due to the share issue in the mid 2000's when Murray underwrote it.

It was Murray's other business interests being caught up in the recession which was the proximate cause of our collapse along with the leaked information about he big tax case which caused our downfall. Because of his financial situation, Murray wanted to sell Rangers but the threat of the big tax case put off potential buyers. Not all his fault, much as we would like it to be.

Rangers, my team not my project.

If "The Bunnet" was such a good guy, why is there no statue of him outside the Tottie Field? They all hated him at the time he saved them, because he wouldn't let go of the purse strings. So now,he is the latest canonized saint, did anybody tell Frankie the dope.

It wasn't until about the middle 00's that things got a wee bit tighter all round, so yes, the scum are at it again, stirring up any old made up shit, keeping Rangers on the boil,and as usual, deflecting from their own impending shit storm. :7325:

during the 90's we were outspending everyone in Europe practically, or so it has been reported. Things started to go down the shitter when O'Neil arrived and Dick couldn't beat him. £12 mill on Flo was not a wise investment, however if she had paid £4mill it would have been seen as a good deal, he wasnt all that bad a player when you disregard how much he cost.