McCoist: Don't bank on title next year

Don't bank on the title next year unless we can splash the cash says Rangers boss Ally McCoist

RANGERS remain on course to continue their rapid rise through the divisions this season but their manager sees trouble ahead - unless they are allowed to spend.

Ally McCoist: "Without strengthening ahead of next season there would be no guarantees."

ALLY McCOIST last night refused to take sides in the battle for Rangers.

But the Ibrox gaffer warned he can’t guarantee a Championship title triumph next season unless he is allowed to spend.

At the end of another week of claim and counter-claim, McCoist wouldn’t comment on Dave King’s fan-backed call to arms against the current board.

He said: “I do not want to comment. What will be, will be. I’ll just handle the football.”

However, the Rangers manager insisted his side’s anticipated quickfire rise through the lower leagues may stall without a substantial war chest.

When asked if he could mount a title push next season with the current squad, McCoist said: “I wouldn’t like to do that.

“I’d far rather be in a position to strengthen to move forward, not just for next term but longer term. Without strengthening ahead of next season there would be no guarantees.

“The chief executive Graham Wallace and the board share my concern because they want to get us back to the top level of Scottish football.

“The Championship is a lot stronger than a lot of people think. The majority of the teams are full-time.”

Gers can take another stride towards the League One title with a win at East Fife today.

And McCoist is only focused on delivering results on the pitch. He said: “It’s the one thing we can have a big bearing on. The best thing that we can do is get the fans three points.”

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes wonder how far removed ally is from reality! He has a squad and budget that dwarfs most teams in the top flight never mind the championship and he wants to spend more? I'm sorry but a better manager could and should get more out our current squad and be able to streamline it. In an ideal world it would be good to bring in a few players but we are struggling and need to stop front loading our cash and instead build from within! We will win the championship comfortably with this squad if ally gets his finger out and does his job!

I see the spend, spend mentality remains with Ally, when is he going to realise that we need to develop our own players and identify young talent. Now if we he was to say something along the lines of "I need the scouting network sorted asap as that is the main thing that is stopping us from progressing." Then he would be totally right IMO.

I see the spend, spend mentality remains with Ally, when is he going to realise that we need to develop our own players and identify young talent. Now if we he

was to say something along the lines of "I need the scouting network sorted asap as that is the main thing that is stopping us from progressing." Then he would be totally right IMO.

Totally agree mate. We should be trying to scout out young talent with a sell on value, not SPL over 30 journey men.

Man for Man everyone in our squad should be able to walk the Championship next year (few obvious exceptions: Cribari, Smith, Foster, Peralta etc) and with some added youth, it should be a doddle.

Ally doesn't have much faith in our squad to be honest, nor has he let go of the "fuck" we need to spend mare money!" mentality.