SPL Stats on twitter - Europe 2014/15

http://splstats.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/european-spots-201314/

Probably the best summing up I've seen, hopefully clears this up for some people.

There is an extra element of uncertainty added this season due to the situation surrounding Rangers. Under UEFA’s rules, they would not appear to be eligible to compete in Europe until 2015/16 at the very earliest due to the “three-year rule” in Article 12 of the UEFA Club Licensing rules which state that “Any alteration to the clubÂ’s legal form or company structure (including, for example, changing its headquarters, name or club colours, or transferring stakeholdings between different clubs) during this period in order to facilitate its qualification on sporting merit and/or its receipt of a licence to the detriment of the integrity of a competition is deemed as an interruption of membership or contractual relationship (if any) within the meaning of this provision.”.

This rule is not absolutely clear cut, and it is possible that the SFA could support an application from Rangers (as the FAI did for Derry City in similar circumstances in 2012), but the precedent of Derry suggests that any appeal would be unsuccessful. It therefore seems unlikely (though not impossible) that Rangers would be allowed to compete in Europe next season should they win the Scottish Cup.

"It therefore seems unlikely (though not impossible) that Rangers would be allowed to compete in Europe next season should they win the Scottish Cup."

Sounds like they are hedging the bets, could we be in for another act of extortion to get their backing? Perhaps 60% of any finance generated, after all we have been robbed already domestically via the five way agreement so why wouldn't they chance their arm as regards our playing in Europe.

As much as id love to see us in the Europa next season i honestly don't think we are ready yet, id still take it obviously but it could be a difficult experience and we could easily get hammered by any half decent team.

Maybe so, but the income generated, even for a short period of time in the competition, would be gratefully received!

Maybe so, but the income generated, even for a short period of time in the competition, would be gratefully received!

Not sure if it's changed but the UEFA Cup (now Europa league) wasn't worth anything financially until usually post group stage, in fact, in the short term it probably costs the club to compete before the relevant income is paid at the end of the season.

If I'm reading that correctly does that not mean Pacific Shelf should not have competed in Europe for three years after the bonnet took over.

UEFA's rules are updated regularly, I don't think they had this rule back then. It also blatantly doesn't say anything as simple as "you can't compete if you don't have 3 years accounts" and there doesn't appear to be any mention of 3 years within that rule or any other

Not sure if it's changed but the UEFA Cup (now Europa league) wasn't worth anything financially until usually post group stage, in fact, in the short term it probably costs the club to compete before the relevant income is paid at the end of the season.

It's financially viable on a game by game basis for any team with a large stadium and fanbase to fill it

We may lose heavily(most likely would) but let's face it we've had far worse even when we were considered to be a force.

The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned, it's ingrained in our clubs history and lifts us as fans on to a different level as well.......oh and as an added bonus it would show publicly that UEFA consider us as one and the same.

Derry City are not the same calibre as us. As proven numerous times, money comes first for UEFA. The support we would take, our tv appeal, the interest our story has generated worldwide, our history and tradition, all make us a tasty proposition that I think they would struggle to turn down.

Derry City are not the same calibre as us. As proven numerous times, money comes first for UEFA. The support we would take, our tv appeal, the interest our story has generated worldwide, our history and tradition, all make us a tasty proposition that I think they would struggle to turn down.

I think we might get some support along those lines, obviously we would need to win it first.

Would be interesting to see what the SFA do

Wouldnt hold my breath on them supporting us

Yeah definitely this,

you can imagine their statement:

"The SFA are unable to support Rangers proposal as we are currently touring Japan"

For me - IF we win the cup - the SFA will make a case for us, knowing that we'll likely be unsuccessful anyway.

Unless certain clubs / people started shouting about sporting integrity. Remember, the rules don't necessarily matter when it comes to Glasgow Rangers - they can always be rewritten or mis-interpreted!

For me - IF we win the cup - the SFA will make a case for us, knowing that we'll likely be unsuccessful anyway.

You are spot on mate .As to be seen to be building bridges and hope that all the softies in our support buy into their new found warmth towards us .Never forget Never forgive should be our new motto

You are spot on mate .As to be seen to be building bridges and hope that all the softies in our support buy into their new found warmth towards us .Never forget Never forgive should be our new motto

Good motto, but the acronym nfnf would get the media in to a frenzy!

can`t see why the SFA would back us if it came to it.Why change habits now? They have shafted us and blackmailed us at every opportunity so,no thanks SFA/SPL poke it up your arse.

We stood alone with no help from anyone in Scotland and that is how we like it.