The rangers report - ....the ideology that fails rangers....

scarkev

Really good summation of Sunday and how we have been performing in general! No doubt the usual excuses will be trolled out but I would be interested for those posters to provide a counter argument and not the usual deflection!

Zonal marking yer having a laugh, have wee look how pop corn teeth got on in C/L at home to Milan and away to Barca using it, remember watching Glen Hoddle totally rip them to bits, sorry not for me, 1 does the writer have any coaching qualifications, 2 how many years has he played, coached or managed a team

Anyway got to go, got a championship winning team to support, championees, championees o wee are wee are wee

Really good summation of Sunday and how we have been performing in general! No doubt the usual excuses will be trolled out but I would be interested for those posters to provide a counter argument and not the usual deflection!

With all due respect, both sides can play the game of accusing the other of excuses and deflection. I've already given a counter argument which usually results in what you'd call deflection from some of the Ally out people. There have been counter arguments, you just like to call it deflection.

I'd agree with the blogger that Ian Black's attitude left a lot to be desired.

I'd disagree with some of his points:

33 shots on goal does not equate to 'one clear cut chance' which Daly squandered. 33 shots on goals would suggest plenty of clear cut chances. a shot on goal being in itself a chance.

Championing zonal marking at set pieces is also a little naive, witness the unwashed's attempts in this years CL, yes it is a tactic, but yes it is risky and I'd need to be convinced that it is a better tactic than ours, or any other for that matter.

Also, they are happy to criticise the use of statistics to back McCoist, then they go on to use statistics to back their argument. So which is it? Is the '75% of Champions League teams' also 'hiding the most important things'?

If you're trying to suggest that 'modern' Rangers supporters would (or even could) dispense with the idea that we must win then you show a complete lack of understanding about our support.

Fill the team with promising youngsters to develop them whilst playing pretty football? Aye, it'll be fine until they start to lose.

Can you imagine how things would be just now if McCoist wasn't even winning?

:7325:

I'd agree with the blogger that Ian Black's attitude left a lot to be desired.

I'd disagree with some of his points:

33 shots on goal does not equate to 'one clear cut chance' which Daly squandered. 33 shots on goals would suggest plenty of clear cut chances. a shot on goal being in itself a chance.

Championing zonal marking at set pieces is also a little naive, witness the unwashed's attempts in this years CL, yes it is a tactic, but yes it is risky and I'd need to be convinced that it is a better tactic than ours, or any other for that matter.

You clearly fail to grasp the definition of a clear cut chance....although I would concede I felt sheils chance from inside the box was pretty clear cut the vast majority of our shots were speculative at best and often well wide of the mark from ambitious distances.....the author is right that we did not manage to carve them open often at all.

The zonal marking thing is a preference that I don't agree with but the concept of leaving players in advanced areas is something I constantly post about! Players such as Templeton, aird etc offer very little defensively at set pieces but could be very useful as an outball or to start counter attacks!

If you're trying to suggest that 'modern' Rangers supporters would (or even could) dispense with the idea that we must win then you show a complete lack of understanding about our support.

Fill the team with promising youngsters to develop them whilst playing pretty football? Aye, it'll be fine until they start to lose.

Can you imagine how things would be just now if McCoist wasn't even winning?

:7325:

I think slit of the anger comes from how we are playing and the money we are spending on seasoned pros.....if we were developing a more expansive style if play with a less experienced squad and there were signs of progress I'm convinced the vast majority would accept poor results a lot easier, not that at this level that would be an issue!

With all due respect, both sides can play the game of accusing the other of excuses and deflection. I've already given a counter argument which usually results in what you'd call deflection from some of the Ally out people. There have been counter arguments, you just like to call it deflection.

I am happy to engage in discussion and debate on counter arguments, unfortunately too often those arguing (including our manager) fail to take relevant factors into account like the level we are currently playing at....

I am happy to engage in discussion and debate on counter arguments, unfortunately too often those arguing (including our manager) fail to take relevant factors into account like the level we are currently playing at....

Well many only take the relevant factors that suit them, otherwise it's deflection. For example, when discussing McCoists record v lower league clubs compared to Prem teams results vs lower league clubs (McCoists being much better) suddenly people are prepared to 'make excuses' for the PREM teams, in a way they ridicule people for making similar types of 'excuses' to defend McCoist.

if we were developing a more expansive style if play with a less experienced squad and there were signs of progress I'm convinced the vast majority would accept poor results

Not a chance.

I've been following Rangers for decades and never, ever has it been the case that poor results were accepted.

Good results aren't enough in many situations, either. Just ask McCoist or Smith or Wallace or...

absolutely spot on the no out ball from set pieces is something that infuriates me

Aird/Shiels/Temps - perm any two from three, put them on opposite touchlines at the halfway line.

Primary one book of tactics FFS

:(

Not a chance.

I've been following Rangers for decades and never, ever has it been the case that poor results were accepted.

Good results aren't enough in many situations, either. Just ask McCoist or Smith or Wallace or...

Then how is the club ever going to progress out of the way we play now? We'll forever play ugly and win and not develop more young players. The whole point in the blog is that the win at all costs mentality is setting the club back in a way and thay fans are getting bored of watching us grind results out against part timers.

Well many only take the relevant factors that suit them, otherwise it's deflection. For example, when discussing McCoists record v lower league clubs compared to Prem teams results vs lower league clubs (McCoists being much better) suddenly people are prepared to 'make excuses' for the PREM teams, in a way they ridicule people for making similar types of 'excuses' to defend McCoist.

But I think this is where a lot of these issues arise from.....certainly from my point of view I'm not disputing the results, it's the performances and lack of progress that I take issue with!

Not a chance.

You conveniently missed out an important part of my post there!

But I think this is where a lot of these issues arise from.....certainly from my point of view I'm not disputing the results, it's the performances and lack of progress that I take issue with!

Yes, and my point is that with a 11-4-5 record (in the last 2 years), I think we can assume that the Prem teams also struggle to perform well against the same opposition we are up against. It is not as easy to perform well against the part time teams as suggested, for whatever reason (and I have my suspicions as to what those reasons are).

Then how is the club ever going to progress out of the way we play now? We'll forever play ugly and win and not develop more young players. The whole point in the blog is that the win at all costs mentality is setting the club back in a way and thay fans are getting bored of watching us grind results out against part timers.

The must win attitude helped us secure world records. But, you think it will 'set the club back'?