Sporting Integrity

quinty

April 2008, nearly 6 years ago, it was certainly a different time. Rangers were about to play Fiorentina in the Europa League. Following postponements for international fixtures, waterlogged pitches and the death of Motherwell midfielder Phil O'Donnell, Rangers faced a backlog of fixtures. The SPL sought to navigate a course through the difficulties and produced two sets of fixtures, dependent on whether Rangers defeated Fiorentina.

The SPL cited 'the preservation of Sporting Integrity' in their decision. However, as Martin Bain pointed out at the time, only one club was being asked to play four games in eight days, so where was the Sporting Integrity? Bain pointed out that the last time a Scottish team reached the UEFA cup final, in 2003, a fixture was moved to give them a full week to prepare. Rangers had asked for the season to be delayed until 27 May, it was, in fact delayed until 22 May, but this disappointed two teams in particular. Celtic chairman, Peter Liewell cited the Integrity word in his comments. In a rambling statement which covered. an 11 day gap between their last two fixtures, the last of which was Dundee Utd on 18 May, inconvenience to their supporters, and players being required for International duty he said:

"The league must not be compromised by changing the rules during the course of the competition and these decisions must not be made on an ad-hoc basis. Therefore, we oppose the decision and feel, in fact, that it has compromised the integrity of the competition"

Dundee Utd chairman, Eddie Thompson said he was deeply concerned by the four day delay in playing the final group of matches when his team were due to face Celtic.

6 years ago, the SPL is now the SPFL, Eddie Thompson has passed away and the definition of Sporting Integrity has changed.

Rangers should have never agreed to the ambulance chasing bastards wanting the Old Firm game called off for ODonnell

They had McGeady, Boric and Nakamura out and shat it

Fast forward a few short months their club legend Burns dies and it's let's go and play the next game and beat Dundee United and win the league for Tommy

Horrible cunts and as usual we let ourself get trampled on by bending over

Rangers should have never agreed to the ambulance chasing bastards wanting the Old Firm game called off for ODonnell

Fast forward a few short months their club legend Burns dies and it's let's go and play the next game and beat Dundee United and win the league for Tommy

At the time the game was called off, we were flying. Never been more confident of beating Celtic with their players injured/suspended - I took the decision to postpone in good faith initially but can see now exactly what it was about

At the time the game was called off, we were flying. Never been more confident of beating Celtic with their players injured/suspended - I took the decision to postpone in good faith initially but can see now exactly what it was about

Some of us didn't need benefit of hindsight mate valuable lesson learned for the rest regarding tarrier behaviour and lack of moral fibres

Some of us didn't need benefit of hindsight mate valuable lesson learned for the rest regarding tarrier behaviour and lack of moral fibres

Agreed

Sad that even THEY would stoop so low as to exploit a death for sporting advantage

We would have humped whatever team they put out. They knew it and PODs death was like a belated Xmas present to them.

Excellent find, quinty.

It would have been good if that quote about sporting integrity had come from the DU chairman.

As someone mentioned the whole postponement of the OF game did stink of a fix as they had men out but no one who could have any influence on matters would ever come out and say such a thing.

The thing that gets me about all this is the lack of decorum from the top down. Recent events between the SFA and DU are a prime example. As much as I like DU being made arses of, the SFA have came out with something about DU saying they only wanted 8,000 tickets and DU have counter claimed they have been mis-stated on this and that they actually said they would initially take 8,000 and go from there if they need more.

To me, what Thomson said about being misquoted actually seems true when you listen to his explanation. Now, I don't really care about Thomson being misquoted but what I do care about is the fact that someone from the SFA is actually willing to twist words like that. Surely they should be upholding some pride/decorum/integrity (if I dare use that word) and not twisting people's words to suit themselves.

It's just an example of how dodgy the governing bodies can actually be.

But, anyway, get it roond yeez ya bunch of greeting faced whingers. It was decided ages ago so just get on with it, sh1t happens.

Excellent find, quinty.

It would have been good if that quote about sporting integrity had come from the DU chairman.

As someone mentioned the whole postponement of the OF game did stink of a fix as they had men out but no one who could have any influence on matters would ever come out and say such a thing.

The thing that gets me about all this is the lack of decorum from the top down. Recent events between the SFA and DU are a prime example. As much as I like DU being made arses of, the SFA have came out with something about DU saying they only wanted 8,000 tickets and DU have counter claimed they have been mis-stated on this and that they actually said they would initially take 8,000 and go from there if they need more.

To me, what Thomson said about being misquoted actually seems true when you listen to his explanation. Now, I don't really care about Thomson being misquoted but what I do care about is the fact that someone from the SFA is actually willing to twist words like that. Surely they should be upholding some pride/decorum/integrity (if I dare use that word) and not twisting people's words to suit themselves.

It's just an example of how dodgy the governing bodies can actually be.

But, anyway, get it roond yeez ya bunch of greeting faced whingers. It was decided ages ago so just get on with it, sh1t happens.

Erm.

Who then was actually telling the truth?

Erm.

Who then was actually telling the truth?

Well, I really don't know for certain but, as I said, IMO Thompson was telling the truth that he said they'd initially take 8K but maybe more if they had the demand as opposed to just an outright 8K.

You summed up the events of that time quite succinctly - their hypocracy knows no bounds!!

Exactly.

Who do you think is telling the truth?

True, I might have jumped in a wee bit with my thoughts as to who was telling the truth. But, regardless of that, there is still a lack of decorum in the guys running the clubs and Football Associations.

Going back to our Europa cup run do you not think if these guys had any pride they would have made allowances for the fact that we were in the running for a European cup and allowed for the fixtures to be moved.

Who do you think is telling the truth?

True, I might have jumped in a wee bit with my thoughts as to who was telling the truth. But, regardless of that, there is still a lack of decorum in the guys running the clubs and Football Associations.

Going back to our Europa cup run do you not think if these guys had any pride they would have made allowances for the fact that we were in the running for a European cup and allowed for the fixtures to be moved.

Sometimes the truth is difficult to determine but the following statement doesn't appear to be devious to me
Statement regarding semi-final ticket allocation

Tuesday, 18 March 2014

In response to recent speculation and comments made by Dundee United officials, the Scottish FA is compelled to clarify the club’s ticketing allocation for the forthcoming William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final between Rangers and Dundee United at Ibrox.

At the pre-operations meeting held on Tuesday, 11th March, Dundee United were made an initial offering of 11,063 tickets, allocated in the entirety of the Broomloan Road Stand, the Govan West corner and a section of the Govan Stand Front and Rear.

The number was offered on the basis of Dundee United’s ticket sales for recent semi-finals. For last year’s semi-final against Celtic at Hampden Park, with a 12.45pm kick-off, Dundee United received an allocation of 10,686 tickets and sold 6783.

For the 2010 semi-final against Raith Rovers at Hampden Park, with a 3pm kick-off, Dundee United were allocated 11,806 tickets and sold 9969.

The Dundee United official present stated that in order to ensure a maximum attendance, in the first instance the club would not require the additional allocation in the Govan West corner, Front and Rear and, instead, would prefer the Broomloan Road stand, capacity 8012.

He was invited to revert to the club for confirmation but declined. Notwithstanding the present allocation of 8012 – as requested by the club – Dundee United retain first option on the Govan West corner, and a section of the Front and Rear, an additional 3051 seats.

Should the club a) request that additional allocation and b) sell it, then there remains the opportunity to extend the allocation subject to agreement between the clubs and the relevant police and stewarding advice.

Sometimes the truth is difficult to determine but the following statement doesn't appear to be devious to me

That seems pretty fair to me. So why was Thompson saying they were misunderstood? that seems like they're all saying the exact same thing.

No dignity whatsoever.

I just hope that if the same ever happens to us nobody at Rangers acts in this way.

That seems pretty fair to me. So why was Thompson saying they were misunderstood? that seems like they're all saying the exact same thing.

No dignity whatsoever.

I just hope that if the same ever happens to us nobody at Rangers acts in this way.

I don't really know. Maybe he's just trying to manipulate the truth to his own advantage?