Ray McKinnon: Play like that against DUTD you have no chance

Bothwellbear

Brechin City boss Ray McKinnon tells ropey Rangers: Play like that against Dundee United in the cup and you have no chance

RANGERS scraped by against Brechin City yesterday and Glebe Park boss and former Dundee United star McKinnon says they will have to play a lot better to beat his old club in the Scottish Cup semi-final.

Lee Smith/Action Images JS34071641-3276784.jpg Nicky Clark scores at Glebe Park - but McKinnon's Hedgemen ran them close

RAY McKINNON thought Rangers get out of jail for the second time at Glebe Park this season against his Brechin City battlers.

But he insists the Light Blues won’t escaping a beating if they turn in the same type of performance against Dundee United in the Scottish Cup.

Ally McCoist’s side once again had Nicky Clark to thank for leaving the Angus ground with all three points as the substitute’s ninth goal of the campaign clinched victory.

The striker was also the hero when Rangers visited The Hedgemen back in October – when his first goal for the club edged a thriller as McCoist’s men came from two goals down to win 4-3.

Clark’s 66th-minute header yesterday from Jon Daly’s cross sent the League One champions 32 points clear and stretched their unbeaten run to 38 games after Robert Thomson’s second half strike had equalised Fraser Aird’s opener.

But it was far from classic stuff from McCoist’s men, who lost Nicky Law and Ian Black to injury.

Yes they clocked up their 19th victory in a row on the road but it was against a side that had won just once in their last seven, couldn’t fill their bench due to a crock crisis and then lost two more players to injury in the first half.

Jeff Holmes/PA Wire JS34071033-3275054.jpg Robert Thomson celebrates his goal against Rangers

That’s why McKinnon insists Rangers must raise their game when they meet Dundee United in the Cup semi-final at Ibrox in April.

McKinnon – who had two spells at United as a player – said: “If they play like that today they will lose, no doubt, because Dundee United are a really decent side going forward.

“They are young, energetic, they have good players and goalscorers.

“It is difficult for Rangers coming to places like this and raising their game week in, week out. I get that.

“But they will need to raise their game against Dundee United and they certainly have decent enough players, enough to win the game. But if they play like that against United, they will get beaten.

“You can see what Dundee United can do in the Premiership, they are scoring goals for fun.

“They have two solid midfield players in Paul Paton and John Rankin, good pros, and they will play up against Nicky Law and that all day long. Up the other end, if Rangers are not switched on then it could be very tough for them.

“The last time they came here they got away lightly and we probably never created enough chances to win it today, although I didn’t think we deserved to lose on the balance of play – but that’s why they are champions.

“It was really tough for us playing 18-year-olds at left-back and a 19-year-old at right back, who is a winger, but I can’t fault them. They were excellent.”

SNS Group JS34073244-3275037.jpg Rangers midfielder Ian Black is stretchered off at Glebe Park

This was the day when Rangers finally conceded a goal away from home in the league after five months, 12 games and 1184 minutes. But Brechin City reckon they should have had the chance to score earlier than they did.

The last goal Gers conceded on the road in League One was at Glebe Park when Alan Trouten netted to put his side 3-1 up in October before the Ibrox side turned it around. And it was the same player who was involved in the big moment yesterday as he ran in on goal after a slack passback from Richard Foster only to go down under Cammy Bell’s challenge after he’d knocked the ball past the Gers keeper.

But referee Andrew Dallas was having none of it and booked the former Ayr man for diving.

That infuriated City and to make matters worse Gers went straight up the other end and broke the deadlock through Aird after 23 minutes.

Trouten said: “It was a massive point in the game because if we get it and score we go one up and we can either hold on to that or press for more.

“We started well and were probably the better team at that stage.

“It was either a penalty or a corner. I think by the look on Cammy Bell’s face, he thought it was a penalty. The referee said after it that it was either a dive or a corner but it was never a dive.

“There was definite contact but he maybe touched the ball as well so he can give a corner. And I was definitely fouled in midfield before they got their goal.”

But Brechin played a part in their own downfall at the opener as Black’s pass looked harmless only for Jonny Brown to let it hit off him before he fell over, allowing Aird to nip in and finish.

McCoist lost Law to injury soon after and then his side lost their rhythm.

City defenders Paul McLean and Brown hobbled off before the break but the home side were back level four minutes into the second half.

Lee Wallace gave sub Greg Cameron too much time to get his cross in from the right and the Gers defence were slow to react as Thomson swept home.

Black then left the field on a stretcher with an ankle injury following a Graham Hay challenge but his replacement, Clark, nodded the winner with his first touch just seconds after going on.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me thinks he's saying that just cause we beat his team but he's absolutely right.

We're absolutely shit most games. We're RANGERS and we're struggling against these wee part time teams? C'mon man! We have a huge multi million wage bill with players who are experienced in the top league and even europe. What the fucks going on?

Unless we raise our game and Ally brings his head out the clouds then Dundee are gonna fuck us. Again. We have what it takes but do the players care enough to go out there and play to the rangers standard?

“It is difficult for Rangers coming to places like this and raising their game week in, week out. I get that.

“But they will need to raise their game against Dundee United and they certainly have decent enough players, enough to win the game."

I suppose the sub-editor could have created the headline:

Brechin boss says Rangers WILL beat United

But I doubt it would grab the attention as much.

“But they will need to raise their game against Dundee United and they certainly have decent enough players, enough to win the game."

I suppose the sub-editor could have created the headline:

Brechin boss says Rangers WILL beat United

But I doubt it would grab the attention as much.

Did you miss this bit...

" But if they play like that against United, they will get beaten."

No. I guess you don't understand sub-editing and headline making.

Your sub-editing and headline make no sense considering he said play like that and United will beat you.

That's why you are posting on here and not writing for a rag I spose....

He's just speaking the truth and i'm not sure we'll be able to raise our game, we struggle to play a game of football as it is.

And those saying Utd are over rated, they will be fired up against us and will go for it from the off, i just can't see us doing the same.

(tu)

I have read some belters recently with our fans saying "Look at United they are pish, nothing to fear" ect...

What do you think United and their fans are saying when watching our games like yesterday?

They will be rubbing their hands together at the prospect

(tu)

I have read some belters recently with our fans saying "Look at United they are pish, nothing to fear" ect...

What do you think United and their fans are saying when watching our games like yesterday?

They will be rubbing their hands together at the prospect

Exactly, they'll be out to embarrass us in this game and will not be fearing us at all due to our pish football.

People writing off Utd are kidding themselves on, even if people have bigged them up too much it doesn't matter because we are fucking rotten.

this is no real surprpise - we have been really shite for ages and are relying on the forlorn hope that we will suddenly "raise our game" cause its the cup and DU and all that. However imo the players and the management aren't giving a toss about the cup - they see their job as done already but I am sure they will have all have the "we made the semi finals - which isn't bad considering" quotes all lined up and raring to go.

I mean, what more do the fans want? its pretty much mission accomplished isn't it?