Radical Managerial Suggestions

The thread on Billy Davis has set me thinking about just how painfully obvious the suggestions for Rangers manager always are. Do they really need to be ex-players or at a stretch Scots we know/believe to be Bears?

Billy Davis, Terry Butcher, Derek McInnes… each one has had success but equally can't dodge notable failures on their CVs. A cup win here, promotion from a lower league there but no experience of handling the pressure of a genuinely big club, no real experience in Europe.

We need someone to do what Paul Le Guen tried to do and overhaul the culture of the club, the style of play, the scouting network and the youth academy. We need a back room staff and youth coaches there on merit not because our list of potential appointments (rarely) stretches beyond guys the current manager has worked/played with.

There can't be many who wouldn't agree the last couple of years have been a missed opportunity. If we are to have any chance to return to the standards of previous years the professionalism of the club simply must be improved. Constantly talking of "2 or 3 more players" will take us nowhere. Work with what you have and improve what is coming through.

I don't think I'm saying much that most of the board wouldn't agree with. Criticising is easy though, coming up with realistic suggestions far harder. So let me stick my neck out...

Glen Hoddle

Hear me out… The guy has managed big clubs. He has also had success (Swindon) with a small club. He has managed his country at the World Cup and indeed only lost his job due to his religious views. He knows how to handle the press. He tries to play good football and seems like a football intellectual who understands crazy concepts like tactics and using subs to change the shape/pattern of a game.

Most importantly for me is the football academy he established in Spain to give discarded players a second chance - Ikechi Anya being the most obvious example I can think of. He has seemingly turned down jobs before because this is his focus. Could he say no to one last big job? A club crying out for a youth development focus?

Feel free to shoot me down. If you do though please suggest an alternative and why you think they represent the radical change most of us crave.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a reason that Hoddle hasn't managed in nearly a decade. He simply isn't very good.

According to him he has turned down 20+ opportunities to focus on the academy.

I have no particular liking for Hoddle I just think he is an interesting candidate who meets a lot of my criteria.

We've not progressed in how we play or think about the game in two decades. Football has moved on.

Maybe we could really go mental and have someone like Hoddle as Sporting Director and someone else as head coach.

You clearly stated 'most of us' which is complete gueswork is it not?

What do you base this on?

It's that reading thing again GF, if you look at the OP you will see that he states 'most of us', I used this phrase, putting it in quotation marks to emphasise that I was quoting it, and emphasising that the OP could not possibly speak for 'most of us'. I was being facetious, you were just being a bit dim. Situation normal :thumbup:

It's that reading thing again GF, if you look at the OP you will see that he states 'most of us', I used this phrase, putting it in quotation marks to emphasise that I was quoting it, and emphasising that the OP could not possibly speak for 'most of us'. I was being facetious, you were just being a bit dim. Situation normal :thumbup:

Both sides who say 'most of us' are way off the mark. The OP and anyone who try to get a guage of what the fans on a whole think base it on nothing.

It changes on here game by game. One loss or draw and the number jump to one side then again same when we have a good result or display.

Aye those rookie managers have worked terribly for us in the past.

I'm not talking about the past, i am talking about currently.

Ally McCoist has showed nothing in his time here to suggest to me he can get our place back at the top. He made an arse of it when we were on a equal footing with them never mind being where we are now.

I can guarantee you 'most of us' aren't. Maybe if you ever went to a game you'd find out what 'most of us' think.

I can guarantee 'most of you' can't read and 'most of you' have no idea how often I go to the game (tu)

Both sides who say 'most of us' are way off the mark. The OP and anyone who try to get a guage of what the fans on a whole think base it on nothing.

It changes on here game by game. One loss or draw and the number jump to one side then again same when we have a good result or display.

Eureka :thumbup:

I'm not talking about the past, i am talking about currently.

Ally McCoist has showed nothing in his time here to suggest to me he can get our place back at the top. He made an arse of it when we were on a equal footing with them never mind being where we are now.

When has McCoist challenged with them on an equal footing? When Whyte was kidding us all on that we had millions to spend? Or later that season when we sold our best player and lost another to injury?

He would say that though, wouldn't he? :lol:.

I don't disagree.

Listen guys my bad for saying "most". I should have said "many" or "a sizeable section of our support". If you're happy to go on as we have been in recent times that's fine. If you want genuine change I'd welcome suggestions.

Im being serious when I say this, but I sometimes wonder if the PLG "revolution" wouldn't be ideal for now. A top to bottom overhaul, be professional, be fit, be serious....and adopt professional habits as a club and as staff.

Would be very intersting...(never happen but still....)

When has McCoist challenged with them on an equal footing? When Whyte was kidding us all on that we had millions to spend? Or later that season when we sold our best player and lost another to injury?

Before administartion.

He had the same squad that Smith had which won the title the previous year.

He already blew Europe twice, lost the lead in the SPL and got punted out the cup by Falkirk before anything happened.

That does not fill me with optimism given how much the tables have turned now, we have also had 2 and a bit seasons of utter souless football being played which again leave me thinking he is 100% not the man for the job.

We will not be on an equal footing for quite sometime unless a manager pulls a masterstroke and McCoist has proved thus far he isn't capable of such feats.