"And Colin Stein scores !"

D'Artagnan

My gran wasn't too impressed with Colin Stein. Nothing to do with the player himself of course, but everything to do with the grandson who muddied himself on her back green in Anniesland trying to emulate the great man's latest goal every Saturday. The following day being Sunday, there was no way she would take her grandson to church looking anything less than respectful and appropriate for The Lord's House.

So the breeks were hand washed in the big kitchen sink, scrubbed at the knees with a scrubbing brush before being rinsed, and then wrung out on the huge brass taps. Depending on the weather they were either then hung out on the verandah, allowing the employees of Barr and Stroud, the factory directly across from my grandmother's tenement, to know that Colin Stein's young protégée was in residence. In the event of inclement weather, an extra lump of coal was placed on the fire and the trousers placed on a screen nearby.

Nowadays of course they would be straight into the washing machine and then the tumble dryer - Sorted.

Often we take for granted the things which makes life's journey far more comfortable or enjoyable. Having them taken away for whatever reason can leave us with the prospect of having to do things as in days gone by, a fact I was reminded of that recently.

Rumour reached me that our supporters bus, The Monifieth Loyal, had folded leaving me facing the prospect of a long solitary drive, to and from Ibrox drive every other week. (The fact that it would also mean an abstention from alcohol on match days was a minor matter. Honestly) It was not something I relished having discovered the considerable benefits of the local supporters bus. It was relief to read a few days later on Twitter that the rumours were totally unfounded and it was business as usual.

Whilst supporter's buses may be an alternative form of transport for those of us who can drive, for others they are the only form of transport available. For those in our community who are less than firm, less than able, the supporters bus with it's unique and personalised stops and pick ups is often the margin of success in them overcoming insurmountable difficulties. The sight of the infirm and disabled overcoming the cruel hand life has dealt them to watch their beloved Rangers, is one which is truly inspiring.

Then of course there is the “social” aspect of the bus. Yesterday at Gayfield I bumped into and old friend of mine I hadn’t seen for years who promptly introduced me to members and organisers of his bus. Let's just say every one of them were in particularly high spirits, I would imagine the crack on the bus home would have been worth the admission money alone. But it goes further than this. For those of who through work or other commitments have been forced to leave the mother nest of Glasgow for pastures new, the supporter's bus brings together a network of exiles who otherwise may have been strangers to one another, and the many considerable benefits which that brings.

The local supporter's bus offers many benefits, financial, friendship, social networking, information, opinions and convenience to name but a few. If you currently don’t travel via one I would encourage you to try it.

You will soon find it is not one of life's luxuries, after a few experience you place it in the “essentials” category - and there will be no going back to “the old ways”.

Back in the day near every pub in Partick had buses running, the Thornwood mostly had two and "kery oots" on board were expected and encouraged.

I was fortunate enough to have had a "peek" through the periscope rig at B&S, one of our staunch neighbours was a lense polisher, if I recall correctly the "target" was over in Blairdardie, happy days indeed.

Back in the day near every pub in Partick had buses running, the Thornwood mostly had two and "kery oots" on board were expected and encouraged.

I was fortunate enough to have had a "peek" through the periscope rig at B&S, one of our staunch neighbours was a lense polisher, if I recall correctly the "target" was over in Blairdardie, happy days indeed.

LOL !

Plenty of blue tinted spectacles being manufactured ?

LOL !

Plenty of blue tinted spectacles being manufactured ?

There was also a bus that went from the Whiteinch Prize Flute Band hall in Smith street, across from the Vanguard club which was Charles Connell's social club.

My uncle Eddie who led the WPFB used to take me and my pals on the bus, the bevvy would be flowing (shandy for us young uns) then the flutes and the drum sticks would come out and the bus would become a walk on wheels, great and memorable times.

Even queuing up outside The Sportsman Emporium for tickets was a great experience for the young uns the banter was always colourful and the youngsters were safe amongst their own.

Bang on guys (tu) I loved the Tannochside bus wae Jackie, my older brother and the mad yins on it, now its sometimes by car and occasionally a bus from Fife, but , by christ i loved those days........ :)

I can see this thread turning into a series of anecdotes - which is the best publicity the supporters buses could ever get (tu)

A shout out to the Largs bus. I wouldn't have been able to go to Ibrox, when I was just a lass, if it was for the Largs RSC and the bus. Still runs today and picks up bluenoses in other towns on the journey. Well done to those involved. :21:

Black Peters bus from Campbeltown had to be the best ever. 6AM pick up for a 6 hour run to Glasgow, carry outs that needed forklifts an atmosphere I have never experienced anywhere else. The noise and patter on that bus was amazing.

Stein was my first Rangers hero probably due to the hat-trick he scored against Hibs in his first game for us and my first game at Ibrox. Followed it up with another five in the next two games as well if I remember correctly.

Don't know how long you've been up there mate but I spent many a night at the Crown (or The Fort in BF) in the late 80s putting United fans right about why Narey and Hegarty would never be a match for Johnstone and Forsyth - great part of the world and loads of fellow bluenoses like me whose job took them there.

Stein was my first Rangers hero probably due to the hat-trick he scored against Hibs in his first game for us and my first game at Ibrox. Followed it up with another five in the next two games as well if I remember correctly.

Don't know how long you've been up there mate but I spent many a night at the Crown (or The Fort in BF) in the late 80s putting United fans right about why Narey and Hegarty would never be a match for Johnstone and Forsyth - great part of the world and loads of fellow bluenoses like me whose job took them there.

Yes Ive been known to frequent the said Fort Bar, my rendition of American Trilogy on the karaoke there, is still spoken of to this day ;-))

I used to travel on a number of buses in my younger days. The Rhinsdale from Baillieston used to pick me up at Sandyhills Road. Then there was the Eastmuir bus from the Kirk House pub opposite Killin Street and most often the All Blacks RSC which left the Gables pub. Loads of tales on these. Always the pre-match "sweep" and the hat round for the driver on the return journey.

My favourite memory of Supporters bus travel was on Christmas Day 1971 when we played Hibs in the league.

I was 15 years of age, and was only allowed to travel by my mum, if I could guarantee that I would be home and ready in time for the family Christmas Dinner at 8pm.

The pledge was made, and off I went with my pal Graham, aboard the Nithsdale Loyal from The New Regent Bar. The game was won when the aforementioned Colin Stein scored the only goal of the game in the dying minutes.

Unfortunately, our bus broke down before we had gotten out of Edinburgh, and by the time a replacement bus got us back, it was nearly 11 pm before I got in the house. My mum was raging and my Christmas dinner was cold...BUT I was happy, the Rangers had won, so i really didn't care !

i used to go with nithsdale then when you merntioned c.s. i mind the day of the 1,st for 10 year 1975 we broke down 1/2 way to the game and all the buses were packed but every one of us about 50 people got picked up mostly by car in time to see us beat the hibs ...rangers brtotherhood in action..

The first hat trick and the first game for us was against Arbroath in the cup.

Ah... the Supporters Bus. The best way to go and see the Gers. I remember back in the late 60's travelling on the Larkhall Supporters bus to a game against Partick at Firhill. As it was near Christmas time we got our complimentary wee bottle of beer at the Club before we started out, notwithstanding we had a skinful beforehand in the pub. The game was uneventful and on our way back the driver decided get us back to Larkhall via Carfin.

The committee members on the bus instructed everyone that there was to be no singing on the bus when we reached Carfin. The plan was to cruise through the place undetected. Wrong.

As we approached Carfin there was an almighty urge within the bus to give the 'Billy Boys' laldy. Which we did. The rousing chorus came to an abrupt halt when some twat lobbed a huge brick through the front window, just missing the driver by inches. We screeched to a halt and the driver was petrified, he couldn't move. I looked out the window and there were scores of mhanks surrounding the bus with bottles and bricks.

The patter on the bus was fuckin brilliant! One of the women near the front shouted out "go on then boys, get fuckin out and intae them"!!

An old guy at the back shouted back…"are you fuckin blin, there's hunners' of the fuckers out there"!

Anyway, we did hold our ground, and a bit of a Mexican standoff ensued. We received no casualties and made it safely back to base.

Great day out all round!!!

When I was down in Devonport I used to come up on the Plymouth bus

That was an experience

7pm start on a Friday night with a good session, meet up with the guys from Newquay

Bus left at midnight and picked up the Torquay rokits at Exeter Services, quick pick up at Taunton and we partied til you fell asleep.

Breakfast (with a pint) at Lesmahagow truck stop then in to Glagow for opening time.

Session before the game and overnight in Glasgow

Sunday morning departure timed to get in to the Black Bull at Lockerbie for opening time

2/3 hour session in there, carry oot then back to Plymouth stupid o clock on Sunday night

God knows how we made work on Monday

The club features in the seventy2 magazine out on 1st April

I hope the article is heavily censored

;)

for your Colin Stein, I will raise you an Ally McCoist, with a combination of Archie McPherson commentary coming out my mouth as I scud the ball of the community centre wall painted on goals. ........"Ally McCoist..........SCORES FOR RANGERS" ...YAAAASSS

happy days, .....my folks then proceeded to up sticks and move the family to England, where the roads are paved with gold (not). with my Dad telling me "we are moving to within throwing distance of another football ground I'll take you there"

eh? not for me Dad or you for that matter, televised games took off and my love for all things Rangers went up ten fold. the first big game I can remember watching in England was the cup final against the sheep when Cooper scored THAT free kick.

lucky enough I have an older bro who started working when he was 15 and spent all his money on Rangers,he soon joined the Citys Rangers SC and quickly had me under his wing as a young teen. we soon both had season tickets and travelled up every other saturday (although he was allowed to away games I wasn't). :-(

a great experience, and as you have said met some great ppl who were Scottish ex pats, who I still to this day can call my friends.

sadly the bus/club is no more and I gave my season ticket up in 99 and for me, I now just drive up with my twin boys, or I take my brothers kids up.

gone are the days of a half bottle of buckie and a few sneaky drinks in the Blue Star or the Rolls Royce. but I always have the memorys of 9 in a row,...bouncing like a real un!

one team and one team only......WATP.

A shout out to the Largs bus. I wouldn't have been able to go to Ibrox, when I was just a lass, if it was for the Largs RSC and the bus. Still runs today and picks up bluenoses in other towns on the journey. Well done to those involved. :21:

I thought you were a bloke

:matron: