"Army of Scouts"

Rangers legend Mols: We'll give McCoist a knock-off scouting army of ex-players

Former Rangers hero Michael Mols insisted an army of ex-Ibrox players are ready to provide Ally McCoist with a worldwide scouting network on the cheap.

McCoist has already described the absence of a scouting system at the financially-stricken club as ‘unacceptable’ as he prepares for life in the Championship with the newly-crowned League One winners.

But Mols, who took in Saturday’s 2-1 victory at Arbroath, revealed that a global collective of Light Blue icons like himself would be willing to offer their services in keeping an eye on foreign markets

McCoist’s planning for next season has hit a major hitch as he awaits the outcome of chief executive Graham Wallace’s 120-day review into the club and the production of a financial blueprint by the under-fire board - while tycoon Dave King waits in the wings with a potential £50million investment.

But Dutchman Mols insisted there was a ‘simple’ solution to McCoist’s scouting woes at least. ‘There are so many ex-Rangers players all over the world,’ he said. ‘For instance, you have Claudio Reyna in America, Arthur Numan, Bert Konterman and Ronald de Boer in Holland, Lorenzo Amoruso in Italy.

‘You can use these contacts better if you need some players. They can look for players or provide information if the club wants to know something about a player. I know more about the Dutch market and Lorenzo knows the Italian players more than anyone else.

‘Use the contacts and all the former players will be eager to give something back to the club. Would these former players want to be involved? Without a doubt. No problem.

‘Everybody is eager to help. The Dutch guys always meet up for Legends games and we had a tournament in Moscow recently where we saw the likes of Jorg Albertz, Rino Gattuso and Pedro Mendes.

‘(We) always talk about the club and the situation. It’s true we reminisce, but there is a certain kind of bond that exists. You have the same history with the club. Once a Rangers, always a Ranger,’ said Mols, who played up front for the Ibrox side in the cash-rich days of the Dick Advocaat era.

Despite admitting to some difficulty in understanding the complexity of his old club’s situation, Mols expressed his doubts over the motives of the current board and demanded greater clarity on finances for the fans.

‘The only thing I hope for is that the people in charge - or those who are going to be in charge - have the right intentions,’ he said. ‘I have the strange feeling they are just trying to make money instead of bringing Rangers back to where they belong.

‘It is better to be open so the fans and other people don’t have too many questions. There are just too many questions right now and no answers.

‘It is difficult to understand because I am in Holland and do not have all the information. But not even the Scottish supporters know what is really happening, and that is a shame for a club as big as Rangers.

"I knew the club would have to start over from the bottom, but the situation is not really improving after two years. That is the strangest thing.’

Mols said he knew King from the tycoon’s time in the boardroom at Ibrox, but warned it would take more than finance alone to return Rangers to a position of power.

‘I remember him (King) but I don’t know him personally,’ said Mols. ‘I know he is a Rangers man and I hope he has the right intentions for the club. An investment would be a start but it’s not just to do with money. It has to do with getting the right players, giving players time to develop and bringing the team to a higher level.’

There is no need whatsoever for a scouting network at the moment.

Ally needs to be managed by his line manager for the next while.

The squad he has now should be more than capable of getting the job done next season, it's just nonsense this shit.

There's always a need for a scouting network....

There's always a need for a scouting network....

Not immediately man, it needs to be built up over the next couple of years. And probably very slowly.

Get Ally performing, I really don't think we need guys all over Europe spending the club's money until this time next year.

Not immediately man, it needs to be built up over the next couple of years. And probably very slowly.

Get Ally performing, I really don't think we need guys all over Europe spending the club's money until this time next year.

We still need scouts, preferably you want scouts all year round, every year, and if you can do that on the cheap then it's a bonus. They can be out scouting young talent, or talent to buy in the next transfer window, but being one step ahead in the scouting network is crucial, and beneficial.

There is no need whatsoever for a scouting network at the moment.

Ally needs to be managed by his line manager for the next while.

The squad he has now should be more than capable of getting the job done next season, it's just nonsense this shit.

Totally disagree with your first point. NOW is the time to start scouting players not for the championship which I concur we should be capable of winning with the current squad, but we need to start identifying Bosmans for when we are in the top flight.

Fraser Aird is an example of talent spotted by a former player and recommended to the club.

I don't know if it would work the same way

Mols etc obviously mean well but we need guys who spend their life's going to Africa, Yugoslavia, Far East and putting the hours in and doing the homework on players - I don't think this is what Mols and co have in mind with all due respect to them

Mols etc obviously mean well but we need guys who spend their life's going to Africa, Yugoslavia, Far East and putting the hours in and doing the homework on players - I don't think this is what Mols and co have in mind with all due respect to them

I had that thought initially when reading this; It comes off more like;

"We'll go to a few games every now and then in our home countries, and if we spot someone who looks half decent, we'll give you a shout"

We definitely do need a scouting network, maybe not a big one now due to our financial position but we do need one. We need some scouts that are full-time and spending the large amount of hours in Eastern Europe, USA, Central America or whatever aswell as quite a few in Scotland but that will obviously come when the finances are there. What Mols is saying is that the ex-players can always help with their own knowledge or notify the club if they see or hear about a good prospect. This can be done on top of having a proper scouting network. Saying we don't need one is ridiculous as we will be just left behind by other clubs if we don't.

numan should be the manager

his dutch buddy scouts

we'd save a fortune

and

wait for this..........

actually play some football, for the first time in 10 years!

Numan right now is the Manager of the Dutch National B Team (Atleast he was) so we'd definitely play football under Numan, and his Dutch scouting buddies would definitely come in handy, the question is though - Would he be willing to give up the position of Dutch B Team Manager, and come to Rangers? And would Rangers even be interested in Numan, there's also the question of wages etc.

Numan right now is the Manager of the Dutch National B Team (Atleast he was) so we'd definitely play football under Numan, and his Dutch scouting buddies would definitely come in handy, the question is though - Would he be willing to give up the position of Dutch B Team Manager, and come to Rangers? And would Rangers even be interested in Numan, there's also the question of wages etc.

of course he would be interested

we could get all sorts of quality appointments for half of mccoist's still super-inflated salary

Problem with Africa and the Far East is that unless you go for established players you may run into issues with obtaining work permits. Lots of untapped talent in the 'newer' EEC countries - Romania, Bulgaria, Latvia, Estonia..............

p.s. Yugoslavia, where's that??? :sleep:

Problem with Africa and the Far East is that unless you go for established players you may run into issues with obtaining work permits. Lots of untapped talent in the 'newer' EEC countries - Romania, Bulgaria, Latvia, Estonia..............

I'd send scouts to Belgium first to be honest.

The talent Belgium produced in the past few years is incredible. Benteke, Kompany, Lukaku, Hazard Mignolet, the list goes on.

I reckon they're even in with a shot of winning the World Cup this year.

Mols. :praise:

This!! :praise:

Seems to me like he was more getting at the fact that if the club need any extra information or that about a player from the relevant country, that they'll help!

Mols went in to the game fairly early on Saturday, stopped for every fan :D

Aye I know was just using them as examples

Ok Serbia/Montenegro then

"McCoist’s planning for next season has hit a major hitch as he awaits the outcome of chief executive Graham Wallace’s 120-day review into the club and the production of a financial blueprint by the under-fire board - while tycoon Dave King waits in the wings with a potential £50million investment"

Who writes this shite? Do they even read it back to themselves first anymore?

That is a great gesture by mols as it isxa very good idea but ajax have several regional scouts who work on a volunteer basis, thats what we should aim for as a building block.

I would scout for rangers in my free time as a volunteer.