Wee quiz

quinty

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3: 23

5: zenit,unirea urziceni, crvena zvezda,az alkmaar,zaragoza,zabrze,zurich,vladikavkaz, zalgaris kanaus,sturm graz

Can't believe the only ones I could think of at first were FK Zeta and Gornik Zabreze. There are loads.

Grasshoppers Zurich, FK Zeta and Gornik Zabrze are all correct, Unirea is wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Unirea_Urziceni

That is definitely a z

Ha ha ha

The early years at Millburn

The Vale’s continuing high profile in Scottish football was demonstrated in November 1888 when the team was invited to take part in a match against Rangers as part of the Glasgow International Exhibition of that year. The Exhibition was held at Kelvingrove on a site now largely occupied by Kelvingrove Museum and Art Galleries. An Exhibition Sports Ground had been laid out just across the Kelvin from the Exhibition site on land long since occupied by University and Western Infirmary buildings.

It was a floodlit match and you would have thought a Glasgow November night was perhaps less than ideal to trial what was a new type of floodlights. You would have been right. However, the Vale were already pioneers in playing under floodlights. In October 1878 they had played Third Lanark under electric lights at the first Cathkin Park, in the very first floodlit game to be played in Scotland. Apparently this game was played with the use of a single spotlight which followed the ball in the way a spotlight follows an actor about the stage. Even allowing for the fact that some reflecting equipment did not arrive from the continent in time for the match, this type of floodlighting was unlikely ever to catch on. So there were high hopes ten years later when a new system called “Well’s Light” was being tried out, and it was under this system that Rangers and the Vale played as part of the Glasgow Exhibition. Although this floodlighting was an improvement, it was not a success and floodlights had to wait another 60 years before being widely used in Scotland

http://www.valeofleven.org.uk/football05.html

The 11 I mean 12 I have are, Graz AK, Sturm Graz, ViktoriaZizkov, Internazionale, Zeta, AZ Alkmaar, Gornik Zabreze, Vladikavkaz, Anzhi Makhachkala, Zenit St Petersburg, Partizan Belgrade, Zaragoza, FC Zurich, grasshoppers Zurich,

Fuck, that's 14.......

The 11 I mean 12 I have are, Graz AK, Sturm Graz, ViktoriaZizkov, Internazionale, Zeta, AZ Alkmaar, Gornik Zabreze, Vladikavkaz, Anzhi Makhachkala, Zenit St Petersburg, Partizan Belgrade, Zaragoza, FC Zurich, grasshoppers Zurich,

Fuck, that's 14.......

Can't remember us playing partizan Belgrade

Red star Belgrade are now called Fudbalski Klub Crvena Zvezda Beograd, does that count ?

Quinty was the club a rifle or shooting club or something like that

Well done, the Ibrox Rifle club, members included Alex Craig, to my cairns, James Bowie, jimmy Gordon, Herbert Lock

Very impressive chaps