Ticket notline

4 o'clock before I got in queue "you are 40 in queue, 36 30 ,28 and so on was dreading getting cut off incase I had to listen to that Andy Cameron song 1 more time

That's completely different to what I got when I phoned. The automation told me it was too busy then hung up, repeatedly until it rang for about 5 minutes then some guy answered. No queue. Weird.

4 o'clock before I got in queue "you are 40 in queue, 36 30 ,28 and so on was dreading getting cut off incase I had to listen to that Andy Cameron song 1 more time

Phone bill should be good.My wife kept phoning for me and around the same time as you mate was told you are 40th in the Q....etc...etc...etc....

Then lo and behold got through and we got in the family section no probs..my son and i.

This was her last attempt ..but i had my options covered by phoning our bus convenor...who was going to sort us out in our time of need..

Leaving our seasons with him next year......

Booked mine online about 6pm, no probs

I can't help but think if we had known how many we had been allocated it would have helped. If we had announced there was enough for just about every s/t holder then the carnage of the first few hours online could have been avoided. Lessons to be learned.

Let's say that the Manchester Ticket Office had 100 operators working yesterday. (number chosen for arithmetical convenience, not through any insight into call centre staffing levels).

Let's say each call lasts a convenient average of 6 minutes.

In one hour, the centre will process 1000 customers. (no loo-breaks today, team!)

So to sell 25,000 would take 25 centre-hours at maximum capacity.

Bottom line - if there are 15,000 impatient Bears on the line at 09:00, there's no possible cost-effective way to get them all through in an hour, so massive queuing is inevitable.

Also, I've noticed far fewer reports on here of the system failing completely this time round - so that's progress! :D