Leckie on Ally and walking away.

bawsburst

By BILL LECKIE

THERE’S a simple reason why Ally McCoist hasn’t been thrown to the wolves before now.

It’s because he’s a good guy. A lifelong class act.

I’m one of those who have argued McCoist was the ONLY man who could have held Ibrox together during its catastrophic financial meltdown.

But decency, a lightning wit and an aircraft hangar-ful of good deeds can only take a man so far.

Being the only voice of reason amid a cacophony of senseless yelling only resonates for so long.

So, you hear the sound of howling in the distance? That’s the wolves warming up for a feast.

Brownie points have finally run out. Rangers have got away with being rank rotten too long.

With the players they have, on the wages they pick up, too many performances since they dropped into the game’s bottom tier have been woeful.

The two titles in a row they have won are irrelevant.

Even with all the guff going on in the boardroom, a fan out of the East Enclosure could have achieved what McCoist has.

No, the real measure of his reign comes not in successes, but failures.

League defeats to Stirling Albion, Annan and Peterhead and 20 points dropped in draws with Peterhead, Berwick, Elgin, Annan, Stirling (twice), Montrose (twice), Stranraer and Stenhousemuir.

Beaten in knockout ties by Malmo, Maribor, Queen of the South, Inverness, Dundee United and Forfar.

Spared a humiliating home cup exit at the hands of Albion Rovers thanks to a goal that should have been disallowed all day long.

Ian Black is shellshocked after Raith defeat

And now this. A bumbling, classless, clueless two hours against Raith Rovers that ended in the defeat it deserved.

Gers were odds-on with the bookies. They put out a team full of guys on thousands a week at a stadium where three stands were roaring them to victory.

Yet they were abysmal, not just below par, not just six-out-of-ten-but-got-there-in-the-end. Truly bloody abysmal.

No effort to entertain. No shape. No passion. Most damning of all, no spark from the touchline to haul them out of their rut and over the line. Whenever the camera homed in on McCoist, it was clear he knew something was badly wrong. Trouble was, he didn’t know how to put it right.

Before extra-time, BBC Alba went trackside to analyst Jimmy Nicholl for his thoughts.

He said the one obvious throw of the dice left for Gers was to send on Dean Shiels and it didn't seem like rocket science.

Instead, it was teenager Calum Gallagher who got the shout. No offence to the kid, but Raith must have been delighted.

As for the ones who had been out there from the off? The ones who are meant to the big hitters? Where do you even start filleting them?

Bilel Moshni was a big, clumsy accident waiting to happen all day and which finally did at the winning goal.

Skipper Lee McCulloch was nowhere near the leader he’s held up as. Steven Smith looked like a guy who once had a chance of making it. Nicky Law the Motherwell midfielder was inventive with a constant goal threat, while Nicky Law the Rangers midfielder is scuffling around searching for form.

Jon Daly the Dundee United striker was unplayable at times, while Jon Daly the Rangers striker is one-paced and leaden.

On as sub lumbered Sebastian Faure, looking for all the world like a fan who had won a competition to play alongside his heroes.

The competition being one of pie-eating.

Then there is Ian Black, supposedly brought in as The Enforcer.

In truth he is nothing more than an angry wee man who spends matchdays waiting for nobodies to kick him so he can whine he’s being picked on.

It’s my understanding he costs Rangers £10,000 a week.

You could have picked anyone out of the Raith midfield, offered them a tenth of that and they would have sweated blood in return.

Black’s the snarling face of how wrong McCoist has got things on the field. I wrote from the start of last season his transfer policy was misguided.

McCoist should have been signing the best of the Second Division to win the Third, the best of the First to win the Second, solid pros from the top flight to win the First — and then look at tooling up for a return to the big time.

McCoist must pay price for final KO by Raith which stunned Gers fans

What an opportunity that would have been for good Scottish pros to prove themselves, as well as for a skint club to rebuild on a budget.

It’s an opportunity they have wasted obscenely — and if you want to argue the toss about that, I’ll give you two words — Emilson Cribari. Just the eight grand a week he’s on. That’s £400,000 a year. You could pay the annual wage bill at Albion Rovers eight times over for that. Nuggets like this damn McCoist’s time in charge.

It smacks of panic signings, of poor scouting, of an inability to either improve players or to move them on.

You watch Gers win at East Fife with a last-minute penalty, or come from behind to beat Arbroath at home, and you wonder what goes on all week at Murray Park, why they look disjointed on matchdays.

You watch the likes of Law and Daly go backwards at a rate of knots.

You watch the Easter Road stands empty like water down a plughole, and wonder how much longer the almost-blind loyalty of fans will last.

You can’t help but link it all with a common thread. A manager who is simply in the wrong movie.

Who knows, one day he might re-emerge somewhere else where the weight of reputation and history doesn’t hang round his neck like a ten-ton medallion and prove his worth in the dugout. Right now, it feels like McCoist really does need to do walking away. Before he’s running from a lynch-mob.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Leckie is a cnut, but he isnae far wrong with that piece.

He cant help but get a wee dig in but the general jist of the shambles that was Sunday is accurate.

Never thought I would ever be agreeing with that fud, It shows to me how bad things ON the park and the Standard of Coaching has dropped to a level that requires a Complete Overhaul.

I don't agree with his comments on the first signings when we were put in the bottom tier,

In the turmoil and with the transfer bans, we got what we could in the time available. Different story at the start of this season when things had settled down although we still had the remnants of that ban operating

We all know what Leckie is? But that is near enough spot on and how I have been feeling about Ally since he took charge,

I do not want Ally to be thrown to the wolves? It will get messy,

I hope we pump United and go one and win the cup then McCoist should step down.

But now is not a debate on the manager? We have a cup tie to win, and if we win it Sunday will be a distant memory.

But Ally must resign when the season is over, and by that when the cup run is over, we need a full new backroom staff in place as early as possible for next season.

But the players owe Ally a big performance, as Ally owes us a big performance.

Let's roar the team on and scum Utd,

Absolute pish. Does he really think 50000 would turn up and accept the signing of 3rd division players? Does he think I would pay £315 to watch players from the second division play players from the 3rd division.

Only Rangers class players should be signed.

Plus would rather have Gallagher over shiels any day.

You could be mistaken for thinking he would like to see our standards slip even further.His excitement is almost palpable.

Absolute pish. Does he really think 50000 would turn up and accept the signing of 3rd division players? Does he think I would pay £315 to watch players from the second division play players from the 3rd division.

You could be mistaken for thinking he would like to see our standards slip even further.His excitement is almost palpable.

Missing the whole point but what's new.

There is nothing the press would like more than the instability at Rangers of Ally was booted - that would sell a lot of papers - probably feed them all summer !

Apart from the gallacher comment its spot on. It makes me sad to read McCoist get slated in the press, even although I agree with what's said.

Nobody wanted it to turn out like this but he only has himself to blame.

He must go, Now!

McCoist should have been signing the best of the Second Division to win the Third, the best of the First to win the Second, solid pros from the top flight to win the First — and then look at tooling up for a return to the big time.

That would be a great point, Bill, if we didn't have 24 hours to assemble a squad before the transfer embargo kicked in. doh

Can't disagree with much of that article and although I don't think ally can nessecarily be blamed for all the signings or money they are on, certainly the signing philosophy and the way so many have regressed must come back on him.

Cant argue with any of that. The Gavin swankies and Rory mcallisters of the world would have got ys promoted out of these leagues and humped in the cups for a pittance of what we are spending on this shite.

ally do us a favour please swallow your pride and go. I don't care if we are manager less come Saturday, having one in the dugout doing fuck all is like having no manager anyway.

ally your time is up.

I am disgusted at the Money that's getting thrown at these guys in Blue Jerseys.

Our Team have been rotten all season and we have all witnessed how bad these players andmanagement are.

Its Fucking bad and I've had enough of these people throwing cash ,and buying shitty players.

They are Allys buys.