Next manager odds

Oh, and a Brit hasn't won the UEFA cup as a manager since Keith Burkinshaw with Spurs 30 years ago.

Bobby Robson was the last British manager to win a European trophy...with a foreign club 17 years ago, George Graham was the last British manager to lift a European trophy with a British club, 20 years ago.

So no, european managers are not overrated. British ones are!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not having that at all. There are only 3 or 4 clubs who can win the league and with foreign owners they are going to go foreign. For every successful foreign manager there are skip fills of fucking shit ones.

If you want to continue with what we've been for the past 15-20 years a club that will challenge for honours with the bheggers no problem, but do fuck all in Europe bar the odd rarity, then by all means get a Brit in.

If you want to be a club that wins trophies in scotland, and competes in Europe, get a foreigner in. The stats and facts speak for themselves.

If you want to continue with what we've been for the past 15-20 years a club that will challenge for honours with the bheggers no problem, but do fuck all in Europe bar the odd rarity, then by all means get a Brit in.

If you want to be a club that wins trophies in scotland, and competes in Europe, get a foreigner in. The stats and facts speak for themselves.

Erm, not they don't. Really, they don't.

If McCoist leaves it won't be anybody radical who comes in.

The short list will probably look something along the lines of McInnes, McCall, Warnock, Davies & Levein.

wouldn't be surprised if McLeish was interested too, can't see us going for McIness or McCall simply because of paying any monies due to their current clubs

GOAT "Or he could just perform better than McCoist...I'd be willing to be any manager in Scotland could do that with our squad."

And to do that he'd still have to meet the criteria I've posted. Personally I think that yourself and some others on here have let your bias against McCoist cloud your judgement.

I see Stuart McCall is favourite to be the next Rangers manager at the moment. To be fair I think that would be a decent appointment. Was a great player for the club, would probably jump at the chance and has done a good job at Motherwell.

Interestingly, Brian Laudrup is right up there too. Personally, I would be more than happy for the club to take a chance on someone like Laudrup. Not got any previous managerial experience as such, however, you would think he would have everything required to be a top manager. Through his reputation as a player he will have contacts worldwide, comes across as very intelligent, and he has done a significant amount of youth coaching since leaving Rangers which can be no bad thing. Would try to play the game the right way too.

Van Bronckhorst would be a good long shot, been assistant at Netherlands u21 and Feyenoord, may see it as a good opportunity to get his first chance of being manager at a big club.

Whoever is appointed next I think we need a clear out and to start a fresh. We had a great opportunity starting at the bottom to get the correct infrastructure and philisophy in place, and to bring through younger players. We haven't really achieved any of this, we have brought in several average has beens from the spl and the brand of football has been poor, with still no scouting infrastructure in place. Regardless of what happens in the Scottish Cup (hopefully we win it!!) the board has to thank McCoist for his efforts and look to make a positive appointment for next season.

Not saying he wouldn't be a good manager but, does this not sound very similar to Ally McCoist?

Plgs problem was that he didn't understand the British game or the mentality of the British players. A foreign manager that has the funds to bring in the players he wants or a foreign manager that has managed in the UK would be OK.

If McCoist leaves it won't be anybody radical who comes in.

The short list will probably look something along the lines of McInnes, McCall, Warnock, Davies & Levein.

Sssh. Don't mention Levien. He has sent out a 4-6-0 formation previously.

Erm, not they don't. Really, they don't.

No British manager has ever won the champions league other than Ferguson and only one other British manager has ever won the Premier League other than Ferguson and even then that was 20 years ago. Those are the FACTS.

GOAT "Or he could just perform better than McCoist...I'd be willing to be any manager in Scotland could do that with our squad."

And to do that he'd still have to meet the criteria I've posted. Personally I think that yourself and some others on here have let your bias against McCoist cloud your judgement.

Bias against McCoist? :lol:

Love of Rangers is what 90%+ of this forum would call it!

think appointing a foreigner at this moment in time would be a gamble we can't really afford at this time,whereas McInnes imo would be pretty much risk free maybe once we're on a sounder footing we could look at foreign management but at the minute i think its a risk we can't afford

Aye we need a foreign manager PLG was such a massive success. (tu)

I don't care really if the next manager is British or a foreign coach I just want someone to take he club forward playing some decent football.

For every PLG, I'll raise you a Wim Jansen and Dick Advocaat.

At least PLG tried to change it all, shame some of our players never let him.

Was that not the rumour a while back, Green was going to get rid of McCoist and bring him in?

aye but the Super Ally brigade soon put a stop to that,Green was right all along but too many blinkered fans couldn't see it,can't believe some still haven't woken up they are partly to blame for this mess also

Sick of this pish abotu people being in the "ally oot brigade" or biased towards him.

He's a fucking joke as a football manager Rangers legend or not he's not got it. John Greig got the same kind of reaction when he was our manager did he not?

Just because Ally has been through it all ie Admin etc.....doesn't gaurentee him a job at Rangers for years to come.

I don't know why anyone would keep him as our manager just because of who he is. Just sounds brainless to me.

No British manager has ever won the champions league other than Ferguson and only one other British manager has ever won the Premier League other than Ferguson and even then that was 20 years ago. Those are the FACTS.

Obviously you are counting the European Cup only in it's 'new reincarnation'. Not one but four Scottish managers have lifted Europe's top prize. Nationality does not guarantee success. English managers = 7 wins so that'd be 11 wins for British managers which takes the UK to the top of the class. That's a fact, Jack.

Sadly many of these famous wins were in the 70's and 80's.

Obviously you are counting the European Cup only in it's 'new reincarnation'. Not one but four Scottish managers have lifted Europe's top prize. Nationality does not guarantee success. English managers = 7 wins so that'd be 11 wins for British managers which takes the UK to the top of the class. That's a fact, Jack.

Sadly many of these famous wins were in the 70's and 80's.

Have you read my posts on this thread?

Please read them.

For every PLG, I'll raise you a Wim Jansen and Dick Advocaat.

At least PLG tried to change it all, shame some of our players never let him.

I agree with your last sentence but his record since leaving Rangers has been abysmal.

Wee Dickie as much as I loved what he tried to do at Ibrox was all about big money signings that we really could not afford. Both his ego and that of SDM brought us much pleasure but cost us a lot of cash.