"This squad will struggle in the Championship"

Donald Findlay basically said as much yesterday and Chick Young echoes those sentiments in his column in the Daily Star (no laughing at the back) today.

Is it just me who doesn't see where this viewpoint comes from of how anybody can even try to argue it?

Bell, Foster, McCulloch, Wallace, Black, Law, Templeton, Smith, Shiels & Daly were all esthablished top flight players, and McCulloch aside, none of them are what you would consider veterans. Truth be told, most of them should be at the peak of their powers right now.

Then you have guys like Mohnsi, Aird, Hutton, Parelta, Faure & Little who are either not any great shakes or are unproven quantities but when put in context and compared to the standard of players in that league they are probably decent enough, if a little underwhelming.

That's a reasonable pool of players and that's without even considering the U20 team who are currently locked in a battle with Hibs & celtic for their league title, which suggests there are a number of players there too who are at least promising and could play their part over the course of a league season.

As I said at the beginning of this post, I have no idea where this viewpoint comes from. Everybody knows that this lot don't hold a candle to Rangers teams of the past and needs strengthened for going into the SPL, but what we have just now should be more than enough to get out the Championship and it's baffling to me that anybody can even attempt to argue otherwise.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My take......that viewpoint comes from someone who sees that although not world-beaters there is enough talent in and around the club to do well next season........but the author (Findlay?) has the same reservations that many of us have in that the manager is the problem and with him in charge we are rudderless.

Anyway...that's my take on it. ;)

The squad will struggle because of poor management. The quality of player however should walk the league and even finish comfortably in the top 6 of the Sphell. This is my main problem with what's going on at the moment. If we were playing like this with a team of youngsters I would be willing to give the management more time.

The main problem is Rangers are, tactically speaking, the easiest team to play against in Britain. The opposition know it is long ball to Daly and can set up accordingly. Raith proved that one of the poorer Championship teams can set up like this and stiffle Rangers. Granted results like Sunday will not happen every week but will be a big struggle.

Think this view point comes about because off the results in cup games against teams in leagues above us in the last two years, could someone put up all results in cup games against these teams, cheers in advance. Good results that come to mind are against Motherwell and and Falkirk but struggling after that.

I agree I think the squad of players are more than good enough to win the league but not with ally as manager. we need a manager who is tactical aware and who can play players to their strengths

Not someone who constantly plays players out of

Position and when they have been playing badly for weeks still plays them like ally does.

I think where we stand with the players and management team, we'll struggle in the first half of the season but should still end up winning it relatively comfortably though.

After that, it's anyone's guess but when looking at players this summer, I'd like to think we'll have one eye firmly on the top flight to start building a proper spine for when we get back.

The players are more than capable of winning the Championship and getting maybe ~mid table in the Premiership.

Ally doesn't have a clue what he's doing. He's useless. And the players just don't seem to care. We can't blame it all on Ally, what about the people on the pitch? Why aren't they "turning up" every week?

I may be acting too naive/optimistic but I think we'll see a different side to the team next year.

I think, or at least hope, that by playing against better calibre opponents the team will automatically raise it's standards.

I don't know why they have been performing on a sliding scale since September/October last year but I think it might have something to do with the fact that most humans beings are inherently lazy and will do just enough as needed to get by.