Playing against your own team in Champions League

ARockit

Interesting article about the Chelsea goalie on loan to Athletico Madrid.

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10759768/Champions-League-semi-final-draw-Chelsea-to-face-Atletico-Madrid-as-Real-Madrid-take-on-Bayern-Munich.html

I notice UEFA take a strong position on any team trying to stop a player they have loaned out to another team from playing against them in the CL. Did this situation not arise earlier this season involving "them"?

If Atletico were happy to take the player with the clause in place, then they should be happy to adhere to it.

Chelsea aren't stopping him from playing. But if they are due a fee for him competing against them they should be paid it.

UEFA do not have the power to overturn legal matters. A contract is a contract.

Still, I don't really care if he plays against us.

Football contracts aren't regular employment contracts, they're written in accordance with UEFA's rules. The only way the contract can be thereafter challenged in a court is if UEFA's rules were incompatible with the law in the first place, i.e. Bosman.

UEFA have the power to punish how they see fit clubs which have disobeyed the rules they signed up for when entering their competitions - so long as the rules were legal to begin with. If there's a legal rule out there that Chelsea could challenge this on, I'd be interested to read it.

Not that I think it'll make much difference either tbh, I see Chelsea winning.