New Striker?

I don't see why we can't rely on someone like Calum Gallagher next season, instead of bringing in another high wage 30+ year old.

I don't see why they can't both be relied on.

If we have any aspirations of winning the SPL we need at least two, probably three, strikers capable of hitting 20 goals per season in the SPL.

I don't see Little, Shiels, Daly or even Clark doing that.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why they can't both be relied on.

If we have any aspirations of winning the SPL we need at least two, probably three, strikers capable of hitting 20 goals per season in the SPL.

I don't see Little, Shiels, Daly or even Clark doing that.

We need to start relying more on youth and not bringing in players like Boyd who command a hefty wage and who will be frankly too old to make an impact when we need to start looking at challenging Celtic. Youth needs to be the focal point of the first 11, not guys like Boyd, Daly, Black etc.

A strike force of Ryan Hardie/Tom Walsh/Danny Stoney and Calum Gallagher would have sufficed this season, and should do next season.

We need to start relying more on youth and not bringing in players like Boyd who command a hefty wage and who will be frankly too oldest to make an impact when we need to start looking at challenging Celtic. Youth needs to be the focal point of the first 11, not guys like Boyd, Daly, Black etc.

A strike force of Ryan Hardie/Tom Walsh/Danny Stoney and Calum Gallagher would have sufficed this season, and should do next season.

maybe with a different manager 2 years ago. Not even close now. Your dreaming with that selection.

maybe with a different manager 2 years ago. Not even close now. Your dreaming with that selection.

I concur, the manager's the main problem here, but Boyd should not be signing for us now.

Look at Dundee United, the average age of their team on Saturday was 21...

Ours was 28....:anguish:

We need to start relying more on youth and not bringing in players like Boyd who command a hefty wage and who will be frankly too old to make an impact when we need to start looking at challenging Celtic. Youth needs to be the focal point of the first 11, not guys like Boyd, Daly, Black etc.

And if they don't score enough goals then what? No doubt the same people who beat McCoist with every stick possible would be berating him for not having a striker with any experience.

The opportunity to bleed a squad of kids is all but gone now and even when it was there you still need to get a balance between youth and experience, especially going into the top flight.

To me a 3 year deal worth less than 1.5 million for a player who is likely to score 60 goals during that time (with 40 of them coming in the top flight) isn't too expensive or excessive even considering his age.

Honestly Boyd was bad enough as a player first time round, wait until we see him as a player under the dugout duds tactics, upfront himself with hardly any service or movement .... and paying over the odds for the priv for someone who walked out on us too ...

can't wait :\

And if they don't score enough goals then what? No doubt the same people who beat McCoist with every stick possible would be berating him for not having a striker with any experience.

The opportunity to bleed a squad of kids is all but gone now and even when it was there you still need to get a balance between youth and experience, especially going into the top flight.

To me a 3 year deal worth less than 1.5 million for a player who is likely to score 60 goals during that time (with 40 of them coming in the top flight) isn't too expensive or excessive even considering his age.

The chance to bleed youngsters is not gone, and this mentality of signing knackered has-beens on fat wages is only going to regress us as a club.

The prospect of watching Kris Boyd isn't much better than Jon Daly to be honest. We need to move on and start to develop an entertaining style of play that people want to watch, not this dross we've been served up over the last few years as a direct result of this signing policy you support.

The chance to bleed youngsters is not gone, and this mentality of signing knackered has-beans on fat wages is only going to regress us as a club.

The prospect of watching Kris Boyd isn't much better than Jon Daly to be honest. We need to move on and start to develop an entertaining style of play that people want to watch, not this dross we've been served up over the last few years as a direct result of this signing policy you support.

the chance is long gone.if it ever existed.

The chance to bleed youngsters is not gone, and this mentality of signing knackered has-beens on fat wages is only going to regress us as a club.

Just because I think Boyd would be a good signing it doesn't mean I support the overall signing policy.

I've said all along that I wanted us to blood youngsters, but supplement it with a couple of experienced players too so we achieve a balance and I stand by that but I think that opportunity is long gone now.

When we were dumped into SD3 the pressure was off. It was the chance to allow the names mentioned on here every week an opportunity to get 100-120 games under their belts so they were established by the time we reached the SPL.

Now we are a season away from the SPL and with every season we get closer to the SPL the expectations of the majority of the support will grow too.

The idea of bleeding a team of inexperienced kids to go into a league where it will be back to a case of bettering celtic defining our season among the majority of our support is the stuff of fantasy now.

Just because I think Boyd would be a good signing it doesn't mean I support the overall signing policy.

I've said all along that I wanted us to blood youngsters, but supplement it with a couple of experienced players too so we achieve a balance and I stand by that but I think that opportunity is long gone now.

When we were dumped into SD3 the pressure was off. It was the chance to allow the names mentioned on here every week an opportunity to get 100-120 games under their belts so they were established by the time we reached the SPL.

Now we are a season away from the SPL and with every season we get closer to the SPL the expectations of the majority of the support will grow too.

The idea of bleeding a team inexperienced kids to go into a league where it will be back to a case of bettering celtic defining our season among the majority of our support is the stuff of fantasyof now.

It shouldn't be, and if we're going to succeed as a club in the long term, then we as a support need to believe in and demand that philosophy to be implemented.

It most certainly existed, and still does, if only we had a competent manager who had faith in youth and not tired old former players.

but we dont. With ally the chance is gone.

Boyd will do a job and a good one I think, but the chance to redevelop the way we think is gone.

If you think rangers should field gallagher/hardie and walsh next season your off your fuckin head .thats a risk as a club we wont take as inconsistent performances arent tolerated at ibrox,we need garunteed promotion.

It's because of Neanderthals like you that this club will forever be stuck in the dark ages, I despair. :anguish:

Am I the only person who thinks Boyd for 7k a week isn't actually that bad a deal.

Cribari takes home an alleged 8k a week so him out & Boyd in would still create a saving of 1k a week.

When you consider we are paying those sort of wages on the likes of Shields\Black and Mcculloch is apparently on 10k a week then the deal doesn't look that high for one of the most clinical strikers I have seen play at Ibrox. I really hope he has been signed.