The current squad would win the Championship

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And Neil Woods

Neil Woods had a great goal scoring record if I remember. Think he was 18 when he signed with a view for the future. Unfortunately we never got the chance to see that because he picked up a bad injury.

Jimmy Nicholl also signed before Roberts and Lindsay Hamilton too, but Colin West was one of the very first along with Woods.

Davie Kirkwood signed a bit later as I recall.

If I remember right Souness publicly criticised two right backs , Hugh Burns was one , after conceding goals at the start of the season . One was against Bayern in a friendly , can't remember the other !

Within a week , he resigned Jimmy Nicholl . Didn't mess about did Mr Souness !

If I remember right Souness publicly criticised two right backs , Hugh Burns was one , after conceding goals at the start of the season . One was against Bayern in a friendly , can't remember the other !

Within a week , he resigned Jimmy Nicholl . Didn't mess about did Mr Souness !

He certainly did not. (tu)

I'm more talking about where they were purchased or loaned from. Many of the title winning players were from other SPL teams and bear in mind that the average standard of player has plummeted for almost all clubs, including the scum. Many SPL players won the SPL for us. We've taken some of the best players from Killie, Hearts and United. We are simply not far away from the current "top standard" which isn't as good as it was.

Our teams often included players like Bartley, Doiuf and McCulloch.

Wallace is unquestionable BTW.

I wouldn't say we've taken the best from Utd, we took what indeed was a major player for them but they also lost Johnny Russell and Willo Flood, what they've done is replace them and look stronger for it, Nadir Ciftci is a far superior footballer than Jon Daly, we might have took one of their beat players at the time but they've went out and got better players, we on the other hand are stuck with what was once one of their main players but wouldn't get in their team now.

I wasn't doubting Wallace's standard by the way, I was merely placing him in the current squad because thats where he is, he wasnt in past squads that have been successful, he's the one player from this squad who would get into past successful Rangers teams

I also dont agree that the standards are a lot lower, that mob have lost a lot of quality in losing Ki, Hooper and Wanyama since we've been goneand they'll definitely lose Van Dijk and Forster before we return to the top flight, they have money to spend tho albeit they wasted most of it last summer but by all accounts theyll likely recoup all of that off the back of selling that Dutch lad but Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Motherwell in the last 18 months have improved dramatically as have teams like St Johnstone and ICT, with guys like Stevie May, Billy McKay and Aaron Doran these teams would be extremely dangerous against this Rangers team.

We are a long long way away from the standards required to challenge at the top of the Premiership, Dundee Utd were clinical at Ibrox lasr week, some say we played well, we did in parts but it looked like a usual scottish club in Europe playing with their hearts while the opposition played with their heads, the week before that mob weny up yo Tannadice and toyed with them, thats the difference in standards, its not nice to admit but its vital to see it for what it is now and do something about it so we give ourselves a fighting chance to genuinely compete when the time comes

I wouldn't say we've taken the best from Utd, we took what indeed was a major player for them but they also lost Johnny Russell and Willo Flood, what they've done is replace them and look stronger for it, Nadir Ciftci is a far superior footballer than Jon Daly, we might have took one of their beat players at the time but they've went out and got better players, we on the other hand are stuck with what was once one of their main players but wouldn't get in their team now.

I wasn't doubting Wallace's standard by the way, I was merely placing him in the current squad because thats where he is, he wasnt in past squads that have been successful, he's the one player from this squad who would get into past successful Rangers teams

I also dont agree that the standards are a lot lower, that mob have lost a lot of quality in losing Ki, Hooper and Wanyama since we've been goneand they'll definitely lose Van Dijk and Forster before we return to the top flight, they have money to spend tho albeit they wasted most of it last summer but by all accounts theyll likely recoup all of that off the back of selling that Dutch lad but Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Motherwell in the last 18 months have improved dramatically as have teams like St Johnstone and ICT, with guys like Stevie May, Billy McKay and Aaron Doran these teams would be extremely dangerous against this Rangers team.

We are a long long way away from the standards required to challenge at the top of the Premiership, Dundee Utd were clinical at Ibrox lasr week, some say we played well, we did in parts but it looked like a usual scottish club in Europe playing with their hearts while the opposition played with their heads, the week before that mob weny up yo Tannadice and toyed with them, thats the difference in standards, its not nice to admit but its vital to see it for what it is now and do something about it so we give ourselves a fighting chance to genuinely compete when the time comes

See, I think they just look better but the rest of the league has gotten weaker. Also, "clinical" is huge flattery. One shot was deflected and the keeper gave away an open stroll to goal. They were clinical with one shot and so were we. Not all goals, despite media assertions otherwise, are clinical. We certainly weren't clinical on at least two occasions, to be fair, but that just highlights how the game was there for the taking.

If we played Utd again with Bell, Wallace, Templeton and Little, I'd be pretty confident of our chances.

One or two players could make us better than them.

I don't rule out the need for change when we get to that level, but I think we overstate it. It's more a case of a few changes, rather than an urgent need to overhaul the entire squad, melodrama aside.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this, Dean Sheils and Ian Black and Jon Daly are decent SPL players but thats it for me, they wont make the difference over a 38 game season.

As for Dundee Utd and playing them again, unlikr a lot of fans I do watch a lot of Scottish Football, I don't think Dundee Utd were anywhere near their best against us, now that could be down to a number of factors, McCoiat's tactics could have been a factor, the big crowd might have had an effect as well or a few of their players might have just had an off day with such weight of expectation on their shoulders... who knows, even though many felt we did play well, I felt that every time Utd went forward we'd lose a goal, they're a positive side, every pass seems to be made with a positive purpose.

Our best chance was with it being at Ibrox but if we played them their again anytime soon those players will now know what they're in for, it was going into the unknown for a lot of them last week.

even counting Bell, Templeton and Lee Wallace I still feel we'd need 5/6 players well above our current standards before we can seriously challenge for the Premiership title.

I do think Nicky Law can be a good player for us in a Premiership title challenging side, I feel he has the potential to improve but other than Lee Wallace I don't think anyone is of that standard, talking regulars of course, guys like Bell, Templeton and Foster could make half decent squad players, Templeton should be a star but I fear the 3 years he'll be with us before we get back to the top will be seen as 'coasting years' and I'll be surprised (altho' pleasently) if he becomes a better player than the one he always threatened to be while at Hearts