Nicky Law "needs a break"

bawsburst

Rangers star Nicky Law: I need a break, it's tough being constantly told how s*** you are!

THE Cheque Centre PFA League One Player of the Year award nominee has told fans he's looking forward to a holiday - and that hopes that he doesn't bump into any of them on his travels!

JS30670524-2974210.jpg Nicky Law: I’m going to Egypt for 10 nights and Italy for two weeks with my family. I hope there are no Rangers fans there to tell me we’re s***!

NICKY LAW needs a break – to get away from being constantly told Rangers are s***!

The former Motherwell midfielder has hardly missed a game in his first season for the Ibrox side.

But he admits the criticism has taken more of a toll on him than the workload over the last six months.

Law was yesterday named as one of four candidates for the Cheque Centre PFA League One Player of the Year award.

Team-mates Jon Daly and Lee Wallace were nominated alongside him after going through the league campaign unbeaten so far.

But even that impressive run hasn’t stopped the flak from flying this season – and Gers took more stick after losing the Ramsdens Cup Final to Raith Rovers then crashing out of the Scottish Cup to Dundee United.

That’s why Law is counting down the days to his summer holiday as he learns about the demands of being a Rangers player.

Gers suffered more criticism for their performance against Forfar on Tuesday – despite a 3-0 win – and Law said: “It’s tough constantly being told you’re s*** for six months!

“I’ve missed about two games this season so I could do with a break physically and I’m looking forward to getting away from it mentally.

“Nobody would want to go to work and be told how s*** you are so the thought of six weeks off is nice.

“I’m going to Egypt for 10 nights and Italy for two weeks with my family. I hope there are no Rangers fans there to tell me we’re s***!”

Englishman Law admitted it has been an eye opener at Ibrox and said: “It takes getting used to playing for Rangers. With the Press and the scrutiny over where Rangers are there’s even more spotlight on the club and it has been difficult.

“Being told how rubbish you are for six months despite not losing a league game is strange. We know that how we’ve played since Christmas hasn’t been good enough.

“We’ve huffed and puffed and got over the line in games despite not playing well which is different from the early part of the campaign when we were on it and scoring freely.

“We’ve dropped and when we needed it for the cup games it was hard to get that performance back. This is the most scrutiny I’ve been under, completely different to anything before.

“I played for Sheffield United in the Premier League but I was a teenager so you just go out without a care in the world. Then at Rotherham, Bradford and Motherwell the focus isn’t as intense as it is at Rangers where someone has an opinion on every move you make.

“It’s such a massive club but you need to get used to it. People say it can take a year or two to adapt to a club like that and it has been a strange season. It will be nice to get some time off.”

Law knows it’s only going to get tougher next season in the Championship as Gers bid to return to the top flight.

The 26-year-old said: “We’ve won the last two league campaigns fairly comfortably and a lot of people probably think it will be the same again.

“We’re under no illusions how close it will be because the sides we’ve faced this season have been good and I haven’t seen a massive difference from the teams I played against with Motherwell.

“Falkirk had good young players and we scored two late on in a cup tie that could have gone either way. Raith beat us and they were organised.

“It will be an exciting league and we’ll need to improve considerably. Four or five teams will fancy their chances. People want to see a tight league and it will be interesting if another team from the top flight comes down.

“But with the players we have, and hopefully the manager can add to that, we’ll be back up there again. Even if the manager didn’t add we feel like we can compete at the top end and the aim will be to win the league.

“Hearts will be in it and you’d fancy them to challenge. If any of the other Premiership clubs dropped down then they would make it even more competitive.”

Gers will go an entire league campaign unbeaten if they avoid defeat in their last four games.

But Law admits they need to start playing better.

He said: “When we drew with Stranraer on Boxing Day it was like ‘We’ve drawn, we can’t win every league game.’ Since that game we’ve been flat.

“It’s hard to put your finger on it but when you’re 20, 30 points clear and you know you’ve wrapped up the league it’s hard to go out every week and do the business.

“The manager has needed to get us going at times. A big part of his job has been keeping us motivated. He won’t let us slack.

“Even before the Forfar game on Tuesday he said if we dropped an inch we would be coming off.

“We don’t want to go out and play poorly. We want to score five and six but it’s not possible. People say you’re playing postmen and butchers but Rangers being in these leagues has highlighted how many good players are at this level.”

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can kinda see where's he's coming from

He's probably our most talented player IMO and needs a little more time to get used to these pressures

I think we will see a much more consistent law next season after a break and pre season - even better with a new manager too

Understanding now the pressures of playing for Rangers - it's not as easy as they thought before signing.

The 'I need a break bit' is probably tongue in cheek. Cue the offended though.

How can anybody be offended with that interview. The poor guy goes to the Rhebel to complain about Rangers supporters telling him the truth about the standard of play. These supporters lay out good money to watch this rubbish and just as a reminder that's where the money comes from to send you on your holidays. Try not to think of the supporters scrimping to pay their St for the season ahead while your lying on the beach. If you don't realise that you are playing for more than the wage packet maybe you should go somewhere else. WATP

The pressure does not come from our opponents. It comes from the fans, other teams' fans accept drops in standard and the odd mediocre result, we don't, never have, never will.

That is a lot for players to take in, for most of them they clearly have been shocked by it.

Couple of things in that he maybe should not have said.

"When we drew with Stranraer on Boxing Day it was like 'We've drawn, we can't win every league game.' Since that game we've been flat.

"It's hard to put your finger on it but when you're 20, 30 points clear and you know you've wrapped up the league it.s hard to go out every week and do the business."

Its even harder to sit freezing in the stand, 30 quid lighter and watch highly paid players go through the motions while now obviously not giving a toss.

If you think that's pressure then just wait until next season. We, the fans, expect high standards from Rangers. Doesn't matter that we've gone unbeaten in the league so far. Aye it's good but we could do better. We could always do better. If you're not up to it then you just don't understand what it means to be a Rangers player.

It's not enough to just get promoted season after season until we're back at the top. We want to see great football, winning every game by as many goals as possible. If we're 6-0 up then we expect you to score another goal. We should be winning every competition we're in be it Ramsdens, Scottish cup or league cup...whatever. Fans won't be totally happy unless we're crowned champions of europe.

Couple of things in that he maybe should not have said.

"When we drew with Stranraer on Boxing Day it was like 'We've drawn, we can't win every league game.' Since that game we've been flat.

"It's hard to put your finger on it but when you're 20, 30 points clear and you know you've wrapped up the league it.s hard to go out every week and do the business."

Its even harder to sit freezing in the stand, 30 quid lighter and watch highly paid players go through the motions while now obviously not giving a toss.

That doesnt sit well with me.

If he and the others feel like that then they are failing to do their jobs to their best levels.

If I turned up at work and done a half arsed job just because I had met my deadline for the month then I'd be sacked.

Looks like we have more leeches than I thought at our club.

I just think of that guy playing with Stirling(?) who is in the fire service and was at the Clutha before playing football or the countless other opponents he has faced this year doing two or three jobs just to pay the bills! Boy doesn't know what pressure is! So sick of all the excuses!

I just think of that guy playing with Stirling(?) who is in the fire service and was at the Clutha before playing football or the countless other opponents he has faced this year doing two or three jobs just to pay the bills! Boy doesn't know what pressure is! So sick of all the excuses!

It's like they are trying to make us all feel sorry for them despite the fact they have the easiest gig going.

They are bing paid top money for playing against the poorest players in Scotland and take the huff when the fans question their efforts?

Guys like Nicky Law need to remember how lucky they have it and try to act with a bit of dignity instead of crying about critisism which is certainly worthy of them.