Alex McLeish on life after Rangers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember on the BBC forum there was a massive groundswell of people wanting George Burley to get his job during his last season.

I was an internet virgin then so wasn't aware of that, I just remember the mass exodus to the pub at half-time every second week.

Had my season ticket at that point and IIRC there were some fans at the front door wanting him out?

As said above, he seemed to work wonders with Advocaat's team but he couldn't really build his own, although he had some inspiring signings like Prso.

He touches on an interesting point- people say we went bust due to overspending.

However, since McLeish, we were consistently outspent by Celtic, and we rarely spent good money on players

That's over 10 years of relatively frugal spending before going bust. Weird.

People who say we went busy due to overspending are speaking shit tbh. It was the BTC that initially threatened us and Whyte not paying PAYE that eventually caused the liquidation event.

IIRC the only reason Lloyd's tightened their grip and started running things in 09/10 was because their was a change in management/ownership at and the new honcho wouldn't/didn't give us/Murray as good a credit facility as the old guy did so they called in what we owed them to pull it into line.

That might be completely wrong, and if it is I'd like to be corrected, because that has always been my understanding of it.

I was an internet virgin then so wasn't aware of that, I just remember the mass exodus to the pub at half-time every second week.

Had my season ticket at that point and IIRC there were some fans at the front door wanting him out?

As said above, he seemed to work wonders with Advocaat's team but he couldn't really build his own, although he had some inspiring signings like Prso.

Yeah it was crazy. I remember the day he was sacked by Hearts the board was full of go and get him now type posts.

The idea of a groundswell of support for George Burley to manage us now is hilarious tbh. :mutley:

Yeah it was crazy. I remember the day he was sacked by Hearts the board was full of go and get him now type posts.

The idea of a groundswell of support for George Burley to manage us now is hilarious tbh. :mutley:

Haha yea, the way that Hearts team stormed to the top during that period I can understand why some would be calling for that.

We had some mention Levein at one point too, as a replacement for Walter.

In hindsight he did a wonderful job with what he had. His last season was awful (qualifying for latter stages of UCL apart). His own signings were a very mixed bag, but considering the constraints he was working under it wasn't too bad. Not sure I'd take him back though...

i met big Eck pre match in Bratislava, a great guy, with the Firmest handshake i have ever received.

overall i thought given the financial restraints he had to endure (compared to others) that he did a reasonable job.

however i thought the night we lost 2-0 at home to Auxerre in the Europa, when a draw would have let us qualify for the knock out stages, was a pretty poor result, tactically naive that night.

this is down partly to the the "fans" get the ba up the park mentality, chasing a victory, (when a draw would have done us) leaving us open at the back for the counter attack, which was our downfall.

i met big Eck pre match in Bratislava, a great guy, with the Firmest handshake i have ever received.

overall i thought given the financial restraints he had to endure (compared to others) that he did a reasonable job.

however i thought the night we lost 2-0 at home to Auxerre in the Europa, when a draw would have let us qualify for the knock out stages, was a pretty poor result, tactically naive that night.

this is down partly to the the "fans" get the ba up the park mentality, chasing a victory, (when a draw would have done us) leaving us open at the back for the counter attack, which was our downfall.

Memories a bit hazy but did Boumsong no make a balls up that night that contributed to the opener?

Was there similar naivety away to Panathinaikos a season before when we just had to keep the ball in the corner flag, but we tried to score, lost possession they counter attacked and scored a late equaliser?

Never be forgiven for going 10 games in a row without a win and finishing 3rd in a 2 team league for me. Started well but when the wheels came off it was horrible.

10th game was against Falkirk iirc think we let a 2-0 lead slip and around 200 protested outside ibrox.

Football wasn't much better standard than it is now, we would be going backwards again if he was back in charge.

Look forward not back.

Great guy, and a half decent manager considering the restrictions he was under, loves the Rangers, but that is not enough to be calling him back now. New blood is needed when we choose our next manager, and hopefully we get the right man to move us forward.

:7325:

We were unlucky not to get to the last 8, out on away goals but i remember one of Villarreals goals was dodgy at Ibrox.

Man offside sort-of/maybe not interfering with play I think?