Alex McLeish on life after Rangers

That was a horrific team. Let's not forget Nieto, Vanolli and Capucho!

He also signed Maniero, Mladenovic and Bernard as well. Although he also brought in Boyd, Novo and Prso.

More shite players than good really.

Seems to be a common theme with his time as manager things were either really good or really bad :lol:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People who say we went busy due to overspending are speaking shit tbh. It was the BTC that initially threatened us and Whyte not paying PAYE that eventually caused the liquidation event.

IIRC the only reason Lloyd's tightened their grip and started running things in 09/10 was because their was a change in management/ownership at and the new honcho wouldn't/didn't give us/Murray as good a credit facility as the old guy did so they called in what we owed them to pull it into line.

That might be completely wrong, and if it is I'd like to be corrected, because that has always been my understanding of it.

We originally had our credit facility with Bank of Scotland but Lloyd's were forced by the government in to a takeover in the midst of the financial downturn/crisis. This resulted in a lot of financial reviews and "belt tightening".

I still believe that Lloyd's were a driving force behind the sale to Craig Whyte - they saw an easy way out and pushed David Murray to take it.

We originally had our credit facility with Bank of Scotland but Lloyd's were forced by the government in to a takeover in the midst of the financial downturn/crisis. This resulted in a lot of financial reviews and "belt tightening".

I still believe that Lloyd's were a driving force behind the sale to Craig Whyte - they saw an easy way out and pushed David Murray to take it.

I blame Lloyds for that sale too. I don't imagine Murray was duped like he said he was. He probably heard what Bain and Johnston were supposedly saying about Whyte but I imagine the bank saw that there was money in his account (from Ticketus) and forced the sale through as they knew they would get their money and didn't care who was taking over!

So not too far away from what I thought 'went down'. Had that Muir (I remember him being hated because he was the banks man) that sat on the board not been so prudent that it had got us back on a level footing by the time we sold to Whyte though?

He done an amazing job in his first 18 months, after that even the highs we felt under him were felt through luck. Helicopter Sunday was won thanks to McDonald and the last 16 of the cl was won on the lowest ever points tally. Good man manager, poor tactician.

McLeish was a good man who conducted himself with dignity while he was in charge at Rangers.

He gave us some of the best days I've ever experienced while following the club and he consistently beat a Celtic team considered to be their best for 30-odd years while operating at a fraction of their budget.

His time was up though and the time was right for him to move on.