☸ The 2014 Brazil World Cup Thread ☸

People say Messi had a better team round him. This is because of the arrogance of the post-92 Premiership fans.

Guys like Valdano and Burruchaga and Batista were legends. If Messi's Argentina had players with this ability and mentality, they would have won it.

Mascherano and Zabaleta notwithstanding, the rest of them under-performed massively.

Aguero may be big in Manchester... but he did nothing in this tournament. Same with Higuain. I think they buckled under the pressure. Messi did not... but no man can win a world cup single-handed. No man. Not even El Diego.

You missed out Ortega. Also, I think it's slightly harsh on Aguero, he's a fantastic footballer. The only thing is he is far too injury prone and clearly was nowhere near fit.

You missed out Ortega. Also, I think it's slightly harsh on Aguero, he's a fantastic footballer. The only thing is he is far too injury prone and clearly was nowhere near fit.

Ortega?? Why should I mention him? I was comparing the class of 1986 and 2014.

If Argentina had a Veron, or a Pastore at supposed potential they probably would have won.

Their midfield bar Masch is embarrassing

I would agree with this, man. An unbelievable opportunity lost. Once Di Maria was out of form and then injured, it was done and dusted. No attacking intent when you play breaker-uppers like Biglia beside Masch. Gago was disappointing and, like we said before, Pastoré could have made a difference. Banega would have just been a sitting passer too. Only Pastoré could have done it. He is the closest to Verón and Riquelmé that we have.

Mascherano is immense and he can pass all day long... but he doesn't have a killer pass like the guys you mentioned.

The whole world cup Messi had to drop back to get the ball... Perhaps this is what he wants. But Argentina don't have a Xavi.

If Argentina had a Veron, or a Pastore at supposed potential they probably would have won.

Their midfield bar Masch is embarrassing

Honestly, I think they just needed their players to be in better form.

You don't need to ask questions of their defence, their only in form player was Mascherano. If you get Messi, Lavezzi, Higuain, Di Maria & Aguero giving you an 8/10 every game they probably would have won.

Honestly, I think they just needed their players to be in better form.

You don't need to ask questions of their defence, their only in form player was Mascherano. If you get Messi, Lavezzi, Higuain, Di Maria & Aguero giving you an 8/10 every game they probably would have won.

Okay, I agree. The defence and keeper over-performed, you are right about that, for sure. Messi was still easily the best attacking player.

I would agree with this, man. An unbelievable opportunity lost. Once Di Maria was out of form and then injured, it was done and dusted. No attacking intent when you play breaker-uppers like Biglia beside Masch. Gago was disappointing and, like we said before, Pastoré could have made a difference. Banega would have just been a sitting passer too. Only Pastoré could have done it. He is the closest to Verón and Riquelmé that we have.

Mascherano is immense and he can pass all day long... but he doesn't have a killer pass like the guys you mentioned.

The whole world cup Messi had to drop back to get the ball... Perhaps this is what he wants. But Argentina don't have a Xavi.

(tu)

Aye fair enough.

Though it's hard for an attack to operate without a decent playmaking CM. They had none at all which is strange.

Ps half cut on a bus down to London if my posts get gradually worse

You're spot on, mate. Whether Sabella could have took them to a final with a playmaker in the centre is a different matter. I think they done the best they could but three of the Fantastic Four from qualifying just never showed up.... As ever on these shores, Messi gets it tight for the supporting cast of Aguero, Higuain and Di Maria being shite.

Germany deserved to win - they have been incredible throughout the whole tournament, and slaughtering Brazil 7-1 alone was reason enough for the virtually the whole world to cheer them on in the final.

Deutschland in Dreamland!

Tim Vickery is a brilliant journalist. I would pay to hear him and Marcotti.

They really know their stuff.

I think Marcotti is a bit patronising and sarcastic sometimes. There's occasions when he has made me want to turn off The Game podcast because he's so insufferable.

Vickery is (tu) though.

It's their first ever world cup as a Unified Country - but the Federal Republic of Germany have won the World Cup 4 times.

The guy is an arse it was said many times that was the case...He's just looking for attention as he's gutted his beloved scumbag of a nation lost.

Argentina_2935012b.jpg

Royal-Navy-TAURUS-_1366125i.jpg

:thumbup: