PC Improvements

Mor3los_1

Currently i have a 500gb hardrive which i knew wasn't enough at the time but i had spent my budget and a Radeon 7870 2GB graphics card. Looking at upgrading both in the future and wondering which places have the best deals right now. I bought my PC from Overclockers but wondering what other best websites there are for PC components. Looking for a 1TB or 2TB HDD and roughly looking at spending £200 on a new Graphics Card so maybe £300 altogether. Thanks.

There's rumours of an announcement soon about new cards, so hold off at least until August/September if you can.

Having said that however, all the AMD cards have dropped in price quite dramatically since April.

The R9 290x was as low as 265 this past week.

Also worth keeping in mind that Aria, Dabs, Amazon etc end up competing with each other on price drops and would not be surprised to see that 290x drop a little further.

What power supply do you have?

As for retailers to use, it varies from day to day. i usually just keep an eye on hotukdeals to see whats what, but I've always found Scan, Amazon, Ebuyer and Novatech to be good. Not really used Aria, but they do some pretty sweet offers and deals now and again!

eBuyer is pretty good and they have good daily deals. What I would suggest if you have the money (and they can be very cheap) is an SSD. I put one in my brothers computer and the boot up speed is incredible. When we first installed it, he was sitting on a chair a couple of metres (if that) away and I was at the couch with the computer on the floor. I pressed the on button and by the time he got out the chair and by the time he was over and looked at the screen the computer had booted up! Im going to get one when I get back from America, itching to see how Football Manager works on it!

What power supply do you have?

As for retailers to use, it varies from day to day. i usually just keep an eye on hotukdeals to see whats what, but I've always found Scan, Amazon, Ebuyer and Novatech to be good. Not really used Aria, but they do some pretty sweet offers and deals now and again!

PC Power & Cooling 600w

Not 100% sure though as it isn't stated on my invoice and Overclockers no longer sell the PC i purchased.

PC Power & Cooling 600w

Not 100% sure though as it isn't stated on my invoice and Overclockers no longer sell the PC i purchased.

If you're thinking of adding an addition HDD and replacing your GPU with a 290x you might want to consider upgrading your PSU too.. If your PSU is the one that i think it is, you could maybe get away it.. But you really won't be leaving yourself much head room.

If you're thinking of adding an addition HDD and replacing your GPU with a 290x you might want to consider upgrading your PSU too.. If your PSU is the one that i think it is, you could maybe get away it.. But you really won't be leaving yourself much head room.

I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to computer components and changing them tbh. Not really adding an extra HDD as such, would be swapping out my 500gb for a 1tb or 2tb. All i've ever changed in a PC before was RAM, lol.

An upgrade of your PSU is essential in your case mate.

Did you have that 7870 before or after buying the PSU (I assume it came with the case/build)?

I just recently bought the EVGA nex 650w modular gold rated PSU in preparation for buying the 290x. Got a 10 year manufacturer warranty as well.

Don't fuck about with the PSU. Do some research on the PSU you are interested in and see who manufactures it.

An upgrade of your PSU is essential in your case mate.

Did you have that 7870 before or after buying the PSU (I assume it came with the case/build)?

I just recently bought the EVGA nex 650w modular gold rated PSU in preparation for buying the 290x. Got a 10 year manufacturer warranty as well.

Don't fuck about with the PSU. Do some research on the PSU you are interested in and see who manufactures it.

7870 came with the PSU. How easy is changing a PSU?

7870 came with the PSU. How easy is changing a PSU?

Piece of piss. Sit in the case and mount it.. From there you plug afew cables in and you're done. (cables only fit in 1 socket and they can only go in 1 way, totally idiot proof)

If you watch this video you'll see him installing a GPU and connecting the PSU to the motherboard + gpu.

http://youtu.be/gCohS0guaDE?t=1h38m15s

Surly the 290x is overkill for 1080p gaming? That's comparable with the GTX 780 which is overkill for 1080.

290x is overkill for 1080p, but when you consider the steady drop in its price and the coming announcement of new cards, it might be worth holding off just to see how far it will drop.

If it goes lower than 250 at any point then imo its more bang for buck than any card on the market.

If you are on a budget the 280x or 270x are really good value budget cards.

Also if you want a MASSIVE improvement in gaming and your computer in general then get a SSD drive. yes it will cost you more and get less storage but the speed is so much faster than a mechanical HD it's worth it

Think i will gradually make the improvements needed probably starting with a new internal hdd. Was gonna go for a 2TB but i've read that failure rates can be pretty high and tbh a 1TB would be more than sufficient for me as i store all the media files on an external storage. Looked at the GTX 770 and the minimum i need from my PSU is 600w so i'll need to go above that to give myself some room. I have a Bronze 600w so i think i'll get http://www.scan.co.u...fan-atx-v22-psu

or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CX750-Builder-Series-Bronze/dp/B008RJZR40

Think i will gradually make the improvements needed probably starting with a new internal hdd. Was gonna go for a 2TB but i've read that failure rates can be pretty high and tbh a 1TB would be more than sufficient for me as i store all the media files on an external storage. Looked at the GTX 770 and the minimum i need from my PSU is 600w so i'll need to go above that to give myself some room. I have a Bronze 600w so i think i'll get a Gold 750w here http://www.scan.co.u...fan-atx-v22-psu

A bronze rated PSU will suffice.. the medal rating system is aimed at power efficiency not build quality or reliability.

A bronze rated 750w PSU requires 915 watts from the mains.

A gold rated 750w PSU requires 863 watts the mains.

So you can save some money on your bills.. but nowhere near enough to justify the intial outlay.

A bronze rated PSU will suffice.. the medal rating system is aimed at power efficiency not build quality or reliability.

A bronze rated 750w PSU requires 915 watts from the mains.

A gold rated 750w PSU requires 863 watts the mains.

So you can save some money on your bills.. but nowhere near enough to justify the intial outlay.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CX750-Builder-Series-Bronze/dp/B008RJZR40

Your youtube man recommended that with his 2013 Gaming PC video. The video is pretty close to my PC except i didn't spend $400 dollars on the Graphics card, lol.