PC Improvements

Mor3los_1

I bought the 270X Hawk and I love it, the thing is nearly silent and plays all the game in ultra mode. However graphic card prices have dropped in the last few months.

Try this website:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

It's good for building your own machine, it'll tell you if there is any incompatibilities plus find the cheapest place for the part.

If you really want to look at hitting the next level in terms of pc gaming I would look at 144hz monitors and gfx cards that can run the game at the needed 60-70fps. These allow gaming with basically 0 response time or input lag and look stunning. There is also the option of going for a multi monitor setup or an even higher resolution than 1080p. A hell of alot of gaming monitors are available now with different non standard rez's

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up getting a 1TB WD Black. Think i will probably just add it as a 2nd internal HDD so i have a combined 1.5TB.

Scrap that, looked inside and i don't seem to have a spare power connector for another hdd and it will be difficult to find because of the cable management inside. Got Acronis free from Scan so backed up my data and will just swap.

Ended up getting a 1TB WD Black. Think i will probably just add it as a 2nd internal HDD so i have a combined 1.5TB.

Scrap that, looked inside and i don't seem to have a spare power connector for another hdd and it will be difficult to find because of the cable management inside. Got Acronis free from Scan so backed up my data and will just swap.

You can pick up a small capacity SSD for peanuts at some point and use it as your boot drive. Run your games from the WD black. Honestly, an SSD effects load times and that's it. The money is better spent somewhere else in the system where it may be needed more. I made this mistake so you could learn from it :D

You can pick up a small capacity SSD for peanuts at some point and use it as your boot drive. Run your games from the WD black. Honestly, an SSD effects load times and that's it. The money is better spent somewhere else in the system where it may be needed more. I made this mistake so you could learn from it :D

Had a look at SSD and some very good prices at the minute. Will wait a wee while and grab one.

really cant recommend an SSD enough. Dont know if it was this thread or another but I put one in my brothers computer and it is just fantastic in terms of boot up speeds and the prices are reasonable. eBuyer do daily deals and more often than not they have a different capacity SSD on every day, I think my brother got a 128GB and it cost something like 80 or 90 quid. You can pic up 256's a lot cheaper now too. Still mind when they first came out :anguish:

really cant recommend an SSD enough. Dont know if it was this thread or another but I put one in my brothers computer and it is just fantastic in terms of boot up speeds and the prices are reasonable. eBuyer do daily deals and more often than not they have a different capacity SSD on every day, I think my brother got a 128GB and it cost something like 80 or 90 quid. You can pic up 256's a lot cheaper now too. Still mind when they first came out :anguish:

I would certainly recommend SSD's as well, but only for operating systems and therefore only smaller capacity ones. Unless you have hundreds to spend on 250 gig+ then I think the money is better spent elsewhere in your system; especially if you are in need of a better GPU, CPU or PSU.

I would certainly recommend SSD's as well, but only for operating systems and therefore only smaller capacity ones. Unless you have hundreds to spend on 250 gig+ then I think the money is better spent elsewhere in your system; especially if you are in need of a better GPU, CPU or PSU.

Cant disagree, they are a hell of a lot cheaper now though. I just got a macbook with a 128ssd, havent had much chance to use it yet but it starts up and boots steam before it can even connect to the internet :lol:

Cant disagree, they are a hell of a lot cheaper now though. I just got a macbook with a 128ssd, havent had much chance to use it yet but it starts up and boots steam before it can even connect to the internet :lol:

Round about the end of summer last year I had about 300 quid spare to spend on the PC. I defo needed a new GPU (for Battlefield) but I also really wanted an SSD, long story short because I bought a larger capacity SSD than I really needed I had to scrimp on the GPU and a year later Im back where I started looking for another GPU :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

eBuyer is pretty good and they have good daily deals. What I would suggest if you have the money (and they can be very cheap) is an SSD. I put one in my brothers computer and the boot up speed is incredible. When we first installed it, he was sitting on a chair a couple of metres (if that) away and I was at the couch with the computer on the floor. I pressed the on button and by the time he got out the chair and by the time he was over and looked at the screen the computer had booted up! Im going to get one when I get back from America, itching to see how Football Manager works on it!

Don't get your hopes up.

I've got an SSD and my FM2014 first team still lost 2-1 to Nottingham Forest :anguish:

• 1 year later...

Its funny that i made this thread 2 years ago and i'm still running the same setup as i was :lol: Priorities came first and ended up not having the money to spunk on my computer build, now i do though. Looking at getting a GTX 970, can get it for under £250 which seems a pretty good price to me. Also need to upgrade my PSU, any good deals going about does anyone know?

4 hours ago, Tak3rNo1 said:

Its funny that i made this thread 2 years ago and i'm still running the same setup as i was :lol: Priorities came first and ended up not having the money to spunk on my computer build, now i do though. Looking at getting a GTX 970, can get it for under £250 which seems a pretty good price to me. Also need to upgrade my PSU, any good deals going about does anyone know?

Look at AMD's new RX 480. The 4gb card is under £200 and the 8gb variant is under £230. Only reference cards out there at the moment, but aftermarket ones will be on the way.

It's not a huge jump over the 970 in terms of performance mind you.

The Rx 480 looks like the best card for it's price point.  The aftermarket ones should be out within a couple of weeks but also the gtx1060 is supposed to be out by the 2nd week of July with probably a slightly higher price than the rx480 

16 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

You can get good deals on PSUs from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4616304.htm

I bought an EVGA 850w G2 a few months ago for only £80.  They deliver for free or you can pick it up in a store if you're in a hurry.  If you're on a budget I would look on Gumtree. 

I didn't even know that Argos sold computer parts, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tak3rNo1 said:

D and PSU sorted, all i need now is a good price on a Graphics card.

Overclockers have an aftermarket Sapphire rx 480 for £250

Whilst a gtx 970 may be tempting you.. it's worth remembering it's a 2 year old GPU that's mainly designed for DX11. With DX 12 and Vulkan round the corner the rx 480 should start to pull away... Nvidia's gtx 1060 is due out later this month which promises gtx 980 performance.. however despite the rumours of a RRP of £240, i reckon it will be closer to £300 for an aftermarket card given how the gtx 1080 pricing turned out. At 1080p there will not be a lot between the rx 480 and the 1060...

Your choice.. but i'm personally going with the 480 here.

edit // seems Doom is now supporting Vulkan. With that API update the rx480 has seen a performance increase of around 28%, which means it's now significantly out performing the 970 in Doom.

Going forward more games will use Vulkan given it supports Windows, Linux and OSX.. whilst DX 12 is only on windows.