Alleged Plagiarism of RFC articles by Evening Times

Ace

Do you really think the lawyers would care though? He's probably just pissed off they copy and pasted his report but I'd say the Evening Times were the unprofessional ones, not him.

They're obligated by contract to care, also they didn't seem to have a problem letting the BBC know of their mistakes when they called Rangers a new club?

Also: You've contracted yourself by saying the ET are the unprofessional ones, not him, when just before that you said "He's probably just pissed off they copy and pasted his report", which is what lead Dickson to act unprofessional in the first place...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still completely unprofessional from Dickson. Yes social media matters; But it'd of been more professional if Dickson had reported the offense to the right people, let the lawyers take care of it and then from the Club's official twitter (which has much more exposure) point out the offense for example: "Rangers Lawyers look into plagiarism from @TheEveningTimes"

Dickson shouldn't be tweeting things like that from his personal twitter account.

You keep mentioning our lawyers. When have the clubs lawyers stepped in to do anything about the bias and infactual reporting over the asset saleand everything that came after? or EBTs?

He's raised it because they also have previous for it. A lawyer's letter would simply be a more costly way of achieving the same goal. Personally, I think with things like this that public shaming and questioning their professional integrity is going to get it done a lot quicker than involving legal teams.

The ET are the ones who've acted in bad faith here, though you wouldn't know it.

They're obligated by contract to care, also they didn't seem to have a problem letting the BBC know of their mistakes when they called Rangers a new club?

Also: You've contracted yourself by saying the ET are the unprofessional ones, not him, when just before that you said "He's probably just pissed off they copy and pasted his report", which is what lead Dickson to act unprofessional in the first place...

Yes they did. They seemed to have a massive problem with it judging by the complete lack of any action at all.

He's raised it because they also have previous for it. A lawyer's letter would simply be a more costly way of achieving the same goal. Personally, I think with things like this that public shaming and questioning their professional integrity is going to get it done a lot quicker than involving legal teams.

The ET are the ones who've acted in bad faith here, though you wouldn't know it.

He still shouldn't be the one raising it. Makes him unprofessional for raising it on his personal twitter account. Like I say, The ET probably don't know who Andrew Dickson is, nor will they bother replying to him, and I'm pretty sure they have more followers on twitter than him, so it'll go relatively unnoticed, it's only Rangers fans that follow Dickson that'll be like "Oh copying bastards"

If the club had raised the issue on their official twitter account, more people would take interest.

You keep mentioning our lawyers. When have the clubs lawyers stepped in to do anything about the bias and infactual reporting over the asset saleand everything that came after? or EBTs?

Our lawyers doing their job doesn't make the news very often, though they probably do a lot more than you think. If the issue was raised with the right people at the club, I'm pretty sure the ET would receive that "On behalf of Rangers Football Club" letter.

That's a completely different issue though. What the BBC reported was intentionally inaccurate, this was just laziness from the ET. I don't think it was malicious.

Just because he's pissed off doesn't mean he handled it unprofessionally. Lots of people use Twitter to try and shame companies and make them bow to public opinion.

And it's not as if he called them cunts. He asked them to explain and gave some context.

That's a completely different issue though. What the BBC reported was intentionally inaccurate, this was just laziness from the ET. I don't think it was malicious.

Just because he's pissed off doesn't mean he handled it unprofessionally. Lots of people use Twitter to try and shame companies and make them bow to public opinion.

If it had been Rab Boyle it would have been praised on here but since it's Dickson...

He still shouldn't be the one raising it. Makes him unprofessional for raising it on his personal twitter account. Like I say, The ET probably don't know who Andrew Dickson is, nor will they bother replying to him, and I'm pretty sure they have more followers on twitter than him, so it'll go relatively unnoticed, it's only Rangers fans that follow Dickson that'll be like "Oh copying bastards"

If the club had raised the issue on their official twitter account, more people would take interest.

Our lawyers doing their job doesn't make the news very often, though they probably do a lot more than you think. If the issue was raised with the right people at the club, I'm pretty sure the ET would receive that "On behalf of Rangers Football Club" letter.

So for 18 months did the BBC just ignore these letters? Obviously that 'on behalf of Rangers' carries some weight behind it.

If they don't know who he is, why have they taken the article down already?

Would a lawyer have it down already? Or would it be more likely that they'd have waited until 5pm tomorrow to send the letter, billed the club £500/hour for the whole day for it to still be up next Friday?

But he has handled it unprofessionally. You're right, lots of people do use Twitter to try and shame companies and make them bow to public opinion, but it doesn't work very often. Especially with the way Dickson's went about it, which just reeks of attention seeking, and "YOU COPIED MY STORY WAAHHH!"

Anyway I'm done arguing for the night lads.

Dicksons been unprofessional, goodnight.

But he has handled it unprofessionally. You're right, lots of people do use Twitter to try and shame companies and make them bow to public opinion, but it doesn't work very often. Especially with the way Dickson's went about it, which just reeks of attention seeking, and "YOU COPIED MY STORY WAAHHH!"

Anyway I'm done arguing for the night lads.

Dicksons been unprofessional, goodnight.

We shall agree to disagree.

If they don't know who he is, why have they taken the article down already?

Would a lawyer have it down already? Or would it be more likely that they'd have waited until 5pm tomorrow to send the letter, billed the club £500/hour for the whole day for it to still be up next Friday?

It'd almost be as if a letter from a lawyer had no additional weight over a letter from an individual.

I've found the Evening Times has been by far he best paper to read with regards to us in the last 2 years, there has been a lot less cheap digs than the big 2 papers - felt it has been quite sympathetic to the club on certain issues.

I'd imagined the club had a strong rapport with the paper, wonder if this will strain relations

They haven't been left with much of an article now... more like a paragraph! And they still managed to keep the opening paragraph from the official site as their lead-in header. It is rather embarrassing.

http://www.eveningti...ndly.1404663854

KRIS BOYD made a scoring return to the Rangers side as they came from behind to draw 1-1 with Brora at Dudgeon Park.

http://www.rangers.c...ers-1-1-rangers

Even when we are 100% in the right, clearly and obviously, still more fans on here would rather side with the media than the club.

Things becoming more perverse by the minute.

This (tu)

Whatever people think of Dickson, the Evening Times has plagiarised an article directly from Rangers and all people want to talk about is Dickson... doh

Not having any great knowledge of the ethics involved in sports journalism and based on the facts presented here it appears to me that Andrew Dickson is justified in expressing his dismay in whatever way possible at the unsanctioned use of his work even though the article was done on behalf of his employers.

Is it acceptable within this type of business to make capital from another,s effort providing that the source of origin is mentioned somewhere in the copy even though there has been no permission from the writer to do so?

Is it common practice for a newspaper to utilise this slipshod method of reporting to save the expense of having to send someone to a match themselves but still profit from not doing so?

Not having any great knowledge of the ethics involved in sports journalism and based on the facts presented here it appears to me that Andrew Dickson is justified in expressing his dismay in whatever way possible at the unsanctioned use of his work even though the article was done on behalf of his employers.

Is it acceptable within this type of business to make capital from another,s effort providing that the source of origin is mentioned somewhere in the copy even though there has been no permission from the writer to do so?

Is it common practice for a newspaper to utilise this slipshod method of reporting to save the expense of having to send someone to a match themselves but still profit from not doing so?

It's neither acceptable nor common practice to simply lift a full article and pass it off as your own