Simon Lappin on trial for 2 weeks

Adoniram

For the record he's a left midfielder, not a left back nor a left winger. His assets are his ability to take a good free kick and corner which is something we don't possess in the first team or in the reserves or the youths or anywhere.

We need service from wide areas. We have one real winger - Templeton. McKay is a striker and Aird is a good lad who tries very hard but could be doing with help on his final ball. Simon Lappin for me is a decent signing in fairness if we get him on decent wages. If Lappin can play on the left, Temps on the right then we have 2 decent wide midfielders. Plus Lappin could help Aird etc with their final ball.

I will stress that it's only a decent signing if he's not on staggering wages.

Can I suggest, were we to get him, this is how it would go.

Lappin (all left peg) will be given the right side of the pitch to "wander" (Ally's words), meanwhile Temps, all right peg, will continue to "wander" (same author, same instructions) down the left side.

McCoist couldn't manage a menage in Elgin.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he any better than Stevie Smith?

Are his free kicks any better?

Stevie Smith is a left back who can fill in temporarily at left mid. Simon Lappin is a left mid who can fill in temporarily at left back. Can't compare the two but if I wanted a left back i'd choose Smith and if i wanted a left mid i'd choose Lappin.

I'd say his free kicks are better in all honesty however Stevie Smith's free kicks have actually improved since he joined us.

Can I suggest, were we to get him, this is how it would go.

Lappin (all left peg) will be given the right side of the pitch to "wander" (Ally's words), meanwhile Temps, all right peg, will continue to "wander" (same author, same instructions) down the left side.

McCoist couldn't manage a menage in Elgin.

Perhaps however plenty of other teams have successfully used inverted wingers. I'm an old fashioned person and I prefer wingers who are left footed to be on the left and same for right footed ones however inverted wingers does help to narrow the midfield which supports the central midfielders and makes the midfield a tighter unit. It can also help if we use full backs who can get forward. Lee Wallace is great at this however Foster isn't so much. If the left side was Wallace with Lappin in front then when Wallace goes galloping forward, Lappin will be there as a cover which I think is sensible.

If you're seeing it the way I am, it's very hard to be critical of the manager and signings. We can be critical of tactics and the way the team is set out, but I doubt for one minute McCoist would be signing many of these players at all if he had the choice. Our "marquee signings" have been Miller and Boyd to placate a lust for "quality" despite being past it. and the rest are fillers that would never get near a Rangers reserve team, but might just get us to the next level.

And if you're going to bleat about "he signed them" then I agree, he did. But who else is there to sign? This is where we're at guys, until financial stability is achieved or a sugar daddy rides in. Another manager might get us playing a better system that suits some of the players, but the base quality of what we have isn't going to increase much.

If you're seeing it the way I am, it's very hard to be critical of the manager and signings. We can be critical of tactics and the way the team is set out, but I doubt for one minute McCoist would be signing many of these players at all if he had the choice. Our "marquee signings" have been Miller and Boyd to placate a lust for "quality" despite being past it. and the rest are fillers that would never get near a Rangers reserve team, but might just get us to the next level.

And if you're going to bleat about "he signed them" then I agree, he did. But who else is there to sign? This is where we're at guys, until financial stability is achieved or a sugar daddy rides in. Another manager might get us playing a better system that suits some of the players, but the base quality of what we have isn't going to increase much.

Then don't sign anyone, save the money, work with what he has and give youth a chance. Keep the money for when we really need it.

Then don't sign anyone, save the money, work with what he has and give youth a chance. Keep the money for when we really need it.

You really think that would have worked? Seriously? We've had some decent youths, but good enough to get us through two divisions, one in particular of happer throwers? The first defeat or three would have been accepted but by the time christmas came and we were sitting half way up the league the cries for Ally's head would have been louder than they are now, all demanding signings!

For the record he's a left midfielder, not a left back nor a left winger. His assets are his ability to take a good free kick and corner which is something we don't possess in the first team or in the reserves or the youths or anywhere.

We need service from wide areas. We have one real winger - Templeton. McKay is a striker and Aird is a good lad who tries very hard but could be doing with help on his final ball. Simon Lappin for me is a decent signing in fairness if we get him on decent wages. If Lappin can play on the left, Temps on the right then we have 2 decent wide midfielders. Plus Lappin could help Aird etc with their final ball.

Mckay is neither a striker or a winger. He's most effective behind the strikers, but more importantly he is a creative player, striker winger or not.

Mckay is neither a striker or a winger. He's most effective behind the strikers, but more importantly he is a creative player, striker winger or not.

Trust me, he is a striker. It is where he has always played with Rangers. Due to his pace and because of our other strikers he has been used out wide but his best position and the one he has been trained to play in is as a striker.

Also define creative. He's got buckets of pace but his final ball is lacking at times. He's not the best crosser of the ball and he isn't going to split defences apart with silky through balls. However he will beat the man in front of him in a race and he will score goals as well.

we don't have a single player who can take a corner or free kick- I hope ally never hires you to defend him

Trust me, he is a striker. It is where he has always played with Rangers. Due to his pace and because of our other strikers he has been used out wide but his best position and the one he has been trained to play in is as a striker.

Also define creative. He's got buckets of pace but his final ball is lacking at times. He's not the best crosser of the ball and he isn't going to split defences apart with silky through balls. However he will beat the man in front of him in a race and he will score goals as well.

There's a video of him floating about that shows him doing all those things.

we don't have a single player who can take a corner or free kick- I hope ally never hires you to defend him

I'm not defending McCoist. I'm talking about Simon Lappin and what he could bring to our team. Perhaps you should re-read my comments with regards to taking corners and free kicks. We DON'T have anyone who can currently take them but Lappin can.

I know we're frustrated and angry but read the comment before trying to have a dig.

There's a video of him floating about that shows him doing all those things.

All those things? Crossing the ball and splitting defences? He's a cracking wee player who has fantastic potential, but his main assets right now are his skills and his pace not his technique. He is though not the finished article by a long stretch but he has excitable potential.

All those things? Crossing the ball and splitting defences? He's a cracking wee player who has fantastic potential, but his main assets right now are his skills and his pace not his technique. He is though not the finished article by a long stretch but he has excitable potential.

Yes all those things. Setting up chances from the byline, corners, defence splitting passes and a few screamers from outside the box.

A glory hunter is someone who disappears when the going gets tough.

Rarely missed a game myself when Greig was manager. Anyone who's old enough will tell you how desperate those times were.

Tbf though he has stuck around while Rangers have been at their lowest ebb it hardly constitutes glory hunting.

A good manager gets the best out of his players and ensures the very best of attributes are rewarded. I truly believe there is no need to sign any players to sort out the problem - it's just a case of papering over the cracks.

There is no need to spend money when all you need is a proper manager managing a squad that is far more resourceful than competitors. Ally is trying to spend his way to success when he should be managing his way to success.

Stevie Smith is a left back who can fill in temporarily at left mid. Simon Lappin is a left mid who can fill in temporarily at left back. Can't compare the two but if I wanted a left back i'd choose Smith and if i wanted a left mid i'd choose Lappin.

I'd say his free kicks are better in all honesty however Stevie Smith's free kicks have actually improved since he joined us.

great, two useless waste of spaces to fill in for positions that we are actually looking good at

stunning from ally once again

If only there was some way to find out if he was without making a commitment to sign him.... Any ideas?

Stevie Smith can do a job at this level.

We don't need a replacement

It's probably the one area of the team that doesn't need strengthened

So what exactly is the point other than the likely departure of our prime asset?

I'm not defending McCoist. I'm talking about Simon Lappin and what he could bring to our team. Perhaps you should re-read my comments with regards to taking corners and free kicks. We DON'T have anyone who can currently take them but Lappin can.

I know we're frustrated and angry but read the comment before trying to have a dig.

you state that there is not one single player at any level at rangers who can take a corner or free kick,if this is true then Simon Lappin ain't gonna make a blind bit of difference to our fuck fest of a set up

Tbf though he has stuck around while Rangers have been at their lowest ebb it hardly constitutes glory hunting.

no no he's right, im a gloryhunter

fuck supporting them in the lower leagues, fuck championing a new youth focused set up back in division 3, fuck championing us saving up money for our inevitable return to the top division

nope baws to all that, instant success for me :dry:

Stevie Smith can do a job at this level.

We don't need a replacement

It's probably the one area of the team that doesn't need strengthened

So what exactly is the point other than the likely departure of our prime asset?

he met ally on a wuestion of sport once, ally feels he needs to give him a job now (tu)

Maybe lightning could strike twice and Alistair suffer the same fate as DW.

Sheffield United sign Cardiff City's Simon Lappin on loan

Sheffield United have signed Cardiff City midfielder Simon Lappin on a one-month loan deal.

The 30-year-old former St Mirren and Norwich man has not appeared for the Bluebirds since joining them on a permanent deal in January.

He is likely to make his debut for the Blades against Crawley on Friday.

Boss David Weir told BBC Radio Sheffield: "He's been successful in this league and he's a leader. He adds to our depth in a number of positions."