Gordon Parks. Daily Record.

simon

FRANK MALONEY, or Kellie as she is now to be known, took sporting reinventions into new realms this week.

You could have knocked out many a pugilist with a feather on hearing the former boxing promoter is now living life as a woman.

For a guy once memorably nicknamed the Mental Midget by Don King to announce he was a girl was a jaw-dropper alright.

But it was another less successful transformation which struck a chord last weekend amid the tabloid revelations of Miss Maloney’s transgender status.

As Rangers lost their opener to Hearts, something more damning than defeat prevailed.

It was the much simpler matter of watching a club waste two years attempting a makeover only to realise it had failed.

Reinventing themselves on The Journey from the depths of League Two has been beyond them and as a club they are no longer comfortable in their own skin.

Ally McCoist has missed more chances to reinvent the team both in philosophy and a more youthful approach.

Consecutive lower-league campaigns were open goals which should have been maximised to blood a new generation of Murray Park graduates. Instead it was a confusing group of players which was the face of Rangers against the Jambos.

Hearts had five academy graduates in their starting XI. Rangers fielded just one.

Jordan McGhee, Kevin McHattie, Billy King, Dale Carrick and Sam Nicholson have spent years at Tynecastle being reared in a youth system which speaks for itself.

It’s a testament to the work of former academy director John Murray who is now scouring for talent in his current role as chief scout.

As for Murray Park? Lewis Macleod was the sole starter as the League One flag was unfurled by skipper Lee McCulloch on Sunday.

One scan of the team sheet illustrated a professional perversity which saw two groups of players poles apart in terms of where they are in the game.

Richard Foster’s still trying to master the basic arts of the game while Marius Zaliukas looks every inch the player whose limitations restricted him to no more than 15 games in a disastrous spell at Leeds last season.

Lee Wallace remains the kid with the world at his feet who now, at 27, gambled all of his career on Light Blue only for it to come up red.

For David Templeton read Lee Wallace and you can also throw Nicky Law into that mix.

McCoist’s perseverance with Ian Black was shown up by both Morgaro Gomis and Prince Buaben who showed the Rangers playmaker how to break up play and press the ball with the minimum of fuss while passing it forward with a sense of purpose.

The one last hurrah pairing of Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller deserves immunity from criticism due to services to the game, club and country but their presence in attack is another depressingly short-fix measure.

McCoist wasn’t asked to reinvent the wheel when he accepted the job as boss, he only had to realign it.

Hearts have unearthed Osman Sow and Alim Ozturk from nowhere and the pair shone, another sad indictment of the chief scout post at Murray Park which continues to be vacant.

The way forward at Ibrox should have been simpler.

But then why couldn’t Frank just have changed her name to Frances?

The stupid Frank Maloney stuff aside. It's a very good article. Hearts have really made the most out of their opportunity and Ally has destroyed ours.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Lee wallace gambled his whole career in light blue and it came up red"

What a load of tosh!

Lee gambled, and so far it has come up silver, with two trophys in his cabinet, we are one game into the season and the doom and gloom merchants are out in force which is laughable.

also to compare our youth with hearts is a joke, just because they never played the first game? I certainly wouldn't swap our youth for theirs.

Particularly with it being Hearts.

That has completely destroyed the walls the Ally defenders were using as cover.

"Oh he's had a lot to deal with. ......admin.....no cash.....building a team from scratch......can't just use kids. ...pressure from off field.....he's done well to get this far with what he had....he needs more........It takes time......needs preseason......first full season"

We've heard them all.

Hearts went spectacularly bust, their very existence hung in the balance, lost their best players, lost their manager, got taken over and tho still skint built a team that skelped Allys in a matter of WEEKS, using mostly kids.

Allys poor tactics are still unchanged from the 3rd div and are as predictable as the sun rising in the morning.

This isn't about one game. We could see this coming years ago. It was happening then against pub teams so it didn't take Nostradamus to predict we would come unstuck against better sides and will continue to do so.

Ally couldn't motivate players to get into his boat if they were drowning with sharks circling.

I'm amazed he hasn't walked. I don't know if that's pride or greed holding him back but either way he is holding the club back.

It can't go on. We won't get better. We might win a few matches, but it will only be a short reprieve until he steps on the next land mine.

He should just go now before his legend status is tarnished forever.

The fans won't forgive him if he puts cash before the team.

Likewise the board must find a means to get rid if Ally doesn't leave.

This has now become THE top priority at the club and ironically is uniting the fans.

It must be done, and will be done.

The only questions are when and how much damage will be done meantime.

Mcoist has made us a Laughing stock.

Get him out of our Club now.

Fucking sick of him.

The article is spot on.

Any joker that thinks Mcoist is the right man for Rangers Manager needs to have a word with themselves he is pathetic.

3 years of his Pish and look at the State of our Team.

Horrendous.

What a load of tosh!

Lee gambled, and so far it has come up silver, with two trophys in his cabinet, we are one game into the season and the doom and gloom merchants are out in force which is laughable.

also to compare our youth with hearts is a joke, just because they never played the first game? I certainly wouldn't swap our youth for theirs.

Silver? Two trophies? Geez peace.

I agree with what was said about the tone of the article but the general content is pretty spot on.

I've always defended Ally for the past couple of seasons because there have been so many counter-arguments to criticisms, due to the nature of the opposition for the last two years, and I felt that this is the real test this season.

Now, I stick by this and my backing of Ally has waned severely but two games is two games and I'm going to reserve my complete condemnation of Ally for another couple of months until I know that kicking this legend of a man in the nuts- who has taken so much pressure during the past 3 years and loves this club so much- is gonna be worth it and the right decision to make.

I know that personal feelings for Ally don't outweigh the club but, as much as I can't stand the missed opportunity we've had, I'd just like to give him a couple of more games to prove us all wrong before I wash my hands of him.

What a load of tosh!

:lol:

Callum Patterson

Danny Wilson

Sam Nicholson

Billy King

Jamie Walker

Dale Carrick

All more than good enough to get a start for us..

:lol:

Callum Patterson

Danny Wilson

Sam Nicholson

Billy King

Jamie Walker

Dale Carrick

All more than good enough to get a start for us..

More than good enough but under current management they woluldn't get a look in because the overpaid dross Ally has brought in never get dropped.

Hard to argue with any of that.

Our youth team beat them in the cup final a few months ago yet Neilson still trusted a decent portion of them to not only play in one of the biggest games of their season, but also build his entire team around them.

Meanwhile we have our best youth team player upping sticks and moving to Dundee Utd because there is next to no chance that he will ever get a proper opportunity in the first team here.

Our club has been run farcically at board room level over the past couple of years but McCoists cheque book manager mentality has really hurt us too.

I agree with the sentiment of the article on the whole - we have wasted 2 years and if the young lads we had weren't good enough to step up to division 3 - then what was the point in having them at all?

However regardless of the defeat, its not as if Hearts were streets ahead and everything they done at the weekend vindicates their approach both on and off the park - to suggest that would be nonsense - that was one game and there is a long season to go.

However we can rehash the last 2 years all we want - its done and dusted and nothing is going to change anything - we have to focus on the next 2 years. It is therefore vital that the common denominator of these last 2 years - Ally McCoist - is gone as soon as possible.

Now the mhedia are saying what we have been saying for ages now, yet still, there are those who say, give him a few more games, give him until Christmas, give him this season.

When enough is enough, as is now the case, he has to go and go NOW.

What a load of tosh!

2 trophies in his cabnet??? Really?

Do you think when Lee signed for us he was dreaming of the day he'd win two tin pot part time Leagues in the lower tiers of Scottish Football? Its high time some people stop bullshitting themselves into believing that was some kind of achievment, it wasn't, it was a necessity but not an achievement.

Lee Wallace doesn't look like the same player he was 18 months ago, many on here don't think he's kicked a ball this year, playing at the level he has played at for the last 2 years has had a detrimental effect on him, he was so good its only natural that you begin coasting, sometimes if you coast for so long it becomes difficult to pick yourself back up again.