Our main rivals for the season - training regime

dan_ger

Doing two and three training sessions in a day. I'm not really sure how Rangers are going about it but it looks like our main rivals for promotion doing everything they can to get the edge.

Maybe they are doing too much but this is a bit of a concern and we don't have as many youngsters. However, most of our player look off the pace. I'm not an expert and don't want to have a go without all the info. Now that we are back to full time pro football, are our player training sessions being stepped up?

Neilson said: “We’ve got a really young team who still need to develop and learn the game.

“I still believe that the more you train, the better you will be. It doesn’t need to be two hour sessions [in the afternoon], it can be 45 minutes or an hour.

“Last week we geared up for the Rangers game in the morning sessions and in the afternoon we did technical things to develop the players.

“A lot of the time a player will come through a youth team training double sessions and get to the first team at 19 or 20 and think they’ve made it.

“They then go on to the usual first team training programme which is come in at 10am, leave at 12, and for a young player that won’t develop them.

“You often see they’ll be in the first team for six months and then they’ll fall back again so it is important we continue to work them and help them improve the things they aren’t so great at.

“I think [not training enough] is an issue we’ve had over the years but I think that’s changing.

“Up here and down in England we are starting to look more at the European model where a lot of them train in the morning then go away and come back in again in the evening.

“It can be difficult here with the weather and the light and over the winter period it can be really difficult but we will instil it in them that that’s what we do – we train in the morning, have lunch, and then we train again.

“There are times we’ll do triple sessions as well, just to make sure the fitness is there.

“In Scottish football, and British football in general, we are ten to 15 years behind the continental teams in the workload put on players.”

Asked if he was concerned about a ‘burn out’ effect on his team Neilson said his backroom staff would monitor fitness levels to try to prevent it becoming an issue.

The Hearts boss added: “It’s something we have to look at. We have John Hill the sport scientist here and he looks at the workload of it. We have a lot of things we can monitor it with.

“It will be gradual, it is not as if we come in and hit them with double or triple sessions that are really intense. It takes three or four months to build them up to the level where they can do it consistently.”

http://sport.stv.tv/...hind-europeans/

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we get real fan representation and interaction that we are promised, things like training regimes shuold be disclosed within reason.

Even a statement like the Neilson one would do, on the club website.

It is logical to deduce that we are either not doing the technical stuff or we have bad discipline or both e.g. Black very rarely gets a shot on target and is wasteful at free kicks. If he was in a disciplined regime he would be told not to even attempt it but he does.

I noticed Ally kept Templeton up when defending a corner...

Its a start ????

Against hearts we had every man back for corners in the 1st half, then the 2nd half came and they got a corner which Templeton stayed up around the half way line and they scored.

Guys on here have been moaning about our training for years, it's nothing new. Our lack of the basics, corners, free kicks and defending set pieces is atrocious.

Indeed, Walter was no better.

That's why you need a clearout when someone steps down, it pisses me off watching teams who have clearly worked on drills in training then you have Black blast the ball off the wall or high into the stand, time and time again.

I'll be interested to see how Hearts youngsters get themselves geared up for playing away to Cowden, Raith and Falkirk. We all know how we've faired against Forfar, Albion and Stenny with young players. It's atrocious that my argument depends on their youngsters being as ill prepared as we have been and not a good sign at all.

In fact the worse we get, the better they may become.

I said a while ago that Neilson is a typical example of the new approach many younger managers are taking, with regards to training, diet, recovery periods etc, changing to a more continental model. The more you practice the better you become, not exactly rocket science but as Paul Le Guen found to his cost this doesn't please some people.

We on the other hand have a manager who belongs in a different era, both tactically and how we train and prepare for games. When for instance was the last time you watched us try something different at set plays ?. Do we work on this and if not why not ?.

Standing still is going backwards and we are going backwards at a rate of knots.

We really need some new ideas on the training and playing front. However, don't know if Hearts would be my guiding light on this (even though they managed to beat us by a late goal on Sunday - one swallow doesn't make a summer).

I appear to be one of few on here who would not get rid of Ally at present - more to do with the potential disruption this would cause to our season rather than any confidence in his managerial skills. However, in the short term, I would definitely like to see one of our two first team coaches replaced by someone with different experience to the manager (preferably continental experience). Might be time for Wallace to suggest this course of action to Ally, with threat of a sting in the tail if he doesn't.

We really need some new ideas on the training and playing front. However, don't know if Hearts would be my guiding light on this (even though they managed to beat us by a late goal on Sunday - one swallow doesn't make a summer).

I appear to be one of few on here who would not get rid of Ally at present - more to do with the potential disruption this would cause to our season rather than any confidence in his managerial skills. However, in the short term, I would definitely like to see one of our two first team coaches replaced by someone with different experience to the manager (preferably continental experience). Might be time for Wallace to suggest this course of action to Ally, with threat of a sting in the tail if he doesn't.

Guys on here have been moaning about our training for years, it's nothing new. Our lack of the basics, corners, free kicks and defending set pieces is atrocious.

To be fair, although we lost a goal on Sunday from corner, we do have reasonable record of defending them compared to others. However, pulling everybody back invariably means that we give the opposition a second chance to attack us from the cleared ball. Cannot see we would lose much defensively if players such as Templeton & McLeod were to be left upfront (or at least on the edge of the box).

Despite the negativity of this tactic employed by McCoist, and Smith before him, it has largely stemmed the number of goals from corners we used to experience under McLeish and Advocaat ( I'll not even mention Le Guen whose team was a shambles defensively).