Hynd Ready For Ibrox Return

Bothwellbear

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7476-hynd-ready-for-ibrox-return

Hynd Ready For Ibrox Return

Written by Rangers Football Club

1eaed31c75082b1f03fe03e36c99484a_XL.jpg

ROGER Hynd will be a guest of the Club at tomorrow's game against Dumbarton and the former Rangers star is looking forward to seeing the Sandy Jardine Stand in person for the first time.

The Light Blues unveiled a lasting tribute to Sandy before the recent Hearts game and Hynd, who featured in the 1967 Cup Winners’ Cup Final defeat to Bayern Munich, says his old team-mate would be immensely proud of the honour.

He told rangers.co.uk: “It is a great tribute and Sandy deserves it more than anybody. It really is fantastic that the stand now carries his name. Fans can see it at every match and it means he will never be forgotten.

“I can’t believe Sandy has gone. He was just a young lad when I was at Ibrox but he was good enough to get into the 1967 Cup Winners Cup’ Final team and he never looked back. He was a true gentleman and had a wonderful career at Rangers.

“Sandy never changed. He always looked, sounded and acted the same way. He really was a gentleman and his passing is such a loss.”

Hynd himself is battling cancer and he has praised the work of the staff at the Prince & Princess of Wales Hospice, where he attends as a day patient once a week.

He said: “The staff at the Prince & Princess of Wales Hospice really are something special. I really mean that. I go there every Wednesday and it is a great benefit to me.

“They all have such a positive outlook and they really cheer me up. I can go in feeling down but I come out smiling. The staff and volunteers look after me so well and I can’t thank them enough for all that they do.

“It is a wonderful facility and they help so many people.”

Roger will take in this tomorrow’s game from the Director’s Box and he hopes Ally McCoist’s side can build on their impressive 8-1 Petrofac Training Cup victory over Clyde last night. Kris Boyd and Lewis Macleod were the star men for the Light Blues and he is backing Boyd to fire his old side back to the top flight.

He added: “Kris has always been a good goal-scorer and I am really pleased to see him on target for Rangers again.

“I saw a lot of good movement and diagonal runs from him last night. He has learned and developed from his time away from Rangers and he will always get into positions to score. He and Kenny Miller are two good players who can cause defenders problems this season.

“I was also impressed with Lewis Macleod and he has a great chance of succeeding at the highest level.

“I like to see old fashioned wingers playing, getting crosses in and creating chances and I am sure Boyd and Miller will score a lot of goals this season if we keep playing like we did last night.

“I am really looking forward to coming back to Ibrox this weekend. I have not been there for a couple of years so I am delighted to return and hopefully we can see a few goals too.”

Rangers will also pay tribute to a host of Team Scotland Commonwealth Games athletes tomorrow.

The Club has invited a variety of medal winners to attend the Dumbarton game and Roger is delighted they will all take a well-deserved pitch bow at half time.

He said: “I think that’s great. They really did Scotland proud. The Games were run really well but the performance of the athletes was the icing on the cake. I loved watching them all compete and I look forward to seeing them at Ibrox this weekend.”

Centre half played at centre forward that night in 67. Ally's tactics are nothing new,

Didn't realise Sandy played that night.

Scot Symon was like Ally a Rangers legend. Unlike McCostalot, auld Scot, was a very good manager and a strict disciplinarian (if you discount his tolerance of Slim Jim's antics).

Hope Roger has a great day --- never understood the decision to play him up-front - he was as mobile as a statue. Always wonder how we would have fared had we kept wee Jim Forrest? Just hope Ally is not planning to offer Roger a game alongside Boyd. :D