***The Official Ryder Cup 2014 thread***

As its less than 4 weeks away, and the captains picks have been done (we know McGinley's picks anyway), thought i might as well see what everyone thinks of it.

European Team

Rory Mcllroy

Henrik Stenson

Victor Dubuisson

Jamie Donaldson

Sergio Garcia

Justin Rose

Martin Kaymer

Thomas Bjorn

Graeme McDowell

Stephen Gallacher

Ian Poulter

Lee Westwood

Not kept up with the golf as much this year, but it looks like a very very strong european team, id still like to have seen Luke Donald in there given his experience in Ryder Cups especially the last one, but can understand why he wasnt chosen

Will be interesting to see the American team,

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bradley, Mahan and Simpson all picked by Watson. USA have a really strong team and I think they'll be more harmonious and have a better chance without Woods. In saying that Europe are really strong too and are rightly favourites. Certainly don't think it'll be a European walkover and has the makings of another classic.

Bradley, Mahan and Simpson all picked by Watson. USA have a really strong team and I think they'll be more harmonious and have a better chance without Woods. In saying that Europe are really strong too and are rightly favourites. Certainly don't think it'll be a European walkover and has the makings of another classic.

Both teams look on par with each other, silly as it sounds it might cone down to the course

If i was the european captain I'd have the rough as high as its allowed, the fairways narrower, reduce the american advantage off the tee

Both teams look on par with each other, silly as it sounds it might cone down to the course

If i was the european captain I'd have the rough as high as its allowed, the fairways narrower, reduce the american advantage off the tee

I'd sort of agree with that, but you'd be seriously handicapping your best player to do it.

I'd sort of agree with that, but you'd be seriously handicapping your best player to do it.

handicapping one player to possibly handicap the whole american team, they clearly didnt worry about mcllroy back in medinah when they shortened the rough to almost fairway length grass

the yanks have never been good playing out of bad rough and playing on narrow fairways, our european tour guys should be great at it by now lol

Got tickets for the Saturday and the Sunday :thumbup:

Hopefully it's a tight contest, I actually think both teams are well matched so expecting it to go right down to the last 1 or 2 games on the Sunday. (If it's effectively all over by the Saturday I'll be raging)

Hopefully it's a tight contest, I actually think both teams are well matched so expecting it to go right down to the last 1 or 2 games on the Sunday. (If it's effectively all over by the Saturday I'll be raging)

lucky bastard, can see it being almost level going into the final day, maybe a point or 2 swing in either direction

you'll certainly get your money's worth (tu)

Poulter is fucking awesome at the Ryder cup, he turned the last match giving Europe the impetus for the last day.

I'm glad he made it .The Ryder cup has been this guys pleasure dome .He is majestic in this tournament and who can forget two years ago .Unforgettable .Will be impossible to match that but I'm looking forward to it very much

a Lucky bastard .:-)))

• 3 weeks later...

I think the form of some players especially Reed, Simpson, Speith, Mahan and Mickelson has got to be a bit of a concern for USA. They all struggled badly towards the end of the Tour Championship. Europe are probably a little relieved Horschel and Kirk weren't picked as both are in the form of their lives!

Think Brian Barnes always believed that the Ryder Cup teams should be made up based on recent form. The current set up is based on performances from this year and the last few months of the last year plus the captains picks. If it was just on this seasons form what would you get?

Top 12 Americans in the PGA Tour money list(excluded Dustin Johnson because he ruled himself out)

Bubba Watson

Jim Furyk

Jimmy Walker

Chris Kirk

Billy horschel

Rickie Fowler

Matt Kuchar

Jordan Speith

Patrick Reed

Webb Simpson

Brendan Todd

Zach Johnson

Chris Kirk and Billy Horschel didnt make the side along with Brendan Todd. Watson has sacrificed a a lot of in form players in my opinion.

As for Europe, the top twelve in the Race to Dubai include Miko Illonen and Jimenez, there places are effectively taken by Westwood and Poulter.

Westwood and Poulter are my main concern for Europe. I know Poulter has a great record in the Ryder cup, but he was playing well in those years,Hes 54th in the Race to Dubai at the moment and 78th in the Fed Ex cup.His best performance was a second place back in March. But I think the US have more to worry about. Narrow European win.

i can see both sides of the argument tbh, you obviously would like guys in good current form, but as a captain you'd also wonder why the current good form guys weren't doing it for the rest of the year

maybe the captains wildcards should be cut out altogether, make it the top twelve