Would you take another year in the Championship...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We, as Rangers fans, wouldnt accept this. As we need instant success. Its the reason the board have spent so much on player wages. We need to climb through the leagues ASAP.

We wouldnt have afforded a new manager ANY time to build a team and gradually work up the leagues in maybe 5 or 6 years.

Depends, if a new manager comes in, they would also get the chance to bring in new players as half of ally's team is out of contract (if they got to spend the same amount on wages of course). I dread ally getting us up and offering the likes of Smith, Foster, Mohsni etc new deals :anguish:

Another year in the Championship? We might not have a choice (with or without him)

Without him at least we would have the best chance.

I doubt any other manager out there would leave two natural wingers on the bench and play a left back and a central defensive midfielder in their place.

That's the kind of moronic decisions we are dealing with here.

To the 7 guests

Yer giro's just arrived,fuck off

To the rest of you,there is no doubt we will get into the SPL with or without McCoist,that's when the real work begins as we will have to clear out the dead wood and bring in 6 or 7 quality players to take us back where we belong.

It's a very good question. And one which may yet - if matters on the pitch carry on as they have been so far this season - be one that is increasingly asked as the season unfolds.

Responses may hinge on what is meant or intended by 'take' (another season). If the medicine is dished out or self-dosed whereby we find we are simply not good enough to be promoted this season whether or not Ally remains the manager then there would be little option other than to 'take' another season. Maybe more than another season as there would surely need to be a dismantling of the current squad and rebuilding based on whatever was affordable. Failure to win promotion this season could be very costly for the Club and there would be every probability of severe budget cuts in response.

There is no certainty whatsoever that if Ally left that a credible experienced manager could be appointed who would turn this around and lead the Club to promotion. The buffeting factors affecting the Club such as risk or running out of money before the end of the FY, no certainty about future investment, continued fan unrest with boycotts and reduced match day attendances, protests and so on coupled to a massively under-achieving squad of players would be a severe challenge for the very best managers - who would not be affordable, and they may not want to manage in the overall toxic-like environment with the added pressure if unhealthily intense media spotlight. To adapt a phrase - the choice between the devil you know who may or may not deliver and the devil you do not know whe equally may or may not deliver. In both choices they'd be blamed if we did not win promotion. And at this uncomfortable stage in the season a Board may look at changing jockeys on the horse may be too risky. I still think that results will determine the decision and that the timing of sticking or changing would not be before Dec / Jan so that if we are still in with a chance then there is enough of a season to make a difference, and if it seems that we may not then its enough time for the newbie to start to dismantle the squad and build for another season.

Would the Support in general remain loyal if we had to 'take' another season? A much harder question than it should be. We have already seen the effect of a boycott and match-day absentees and that is before it becomes clear whether or not promotion can be won. If they can walk away this season so far then there is no solid reason to believe they would return if performances mean another season in the Championship. Perhaps more likely would be a further reduction in ST sales next season which equals less income whicm means less able to attract players who might help get us promoted and so instead of the rising we all talked about a few seasons ago the reality would be football decline until at some future stage it could be halted and reversed.

I think we are entering (if not already in) very choppy waters where the loyalty of supporters could be severely tested. The Board must surely sense this. So must the Manager. Whether they can take action to avoid that sort of testing taking place is - in my veiw - highly doubtful given recent perfomances and events. Taking the medicine of further seasons in the Championship would be very tough indeed and may result in a Rangers we are not familier with - a Rangers that is so weakened as to be less than also rans firstly in Championship and then when eventually promoted, in the top league.

I sincerely hope we do not have to face the sort of testing that I've described above. But right now I have very low confidence that the Manager and team can deliver and just a low confidence in the effectiveness of the CEO/COO/Chairman and entire Board to galvanise the Club into action to respond to the football and financial challenges.