managerial shortlist

KingKirk

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read an article recently about Bobby Williamson and what he has been doing on his football travels. Although an ex player, from long time ago, I would seriously consider him. Has worked in wide variety of places, often with little resources and done ok. A hard no nonsense man who wouldn't stand for the dross we are watching week in and out. I imagine the facilities at Murray Park would be far removed from anything he has had access to ever and just feel that someone with his clear passion for football is just what we are needing instead of going for someone who isn't currently managing or has no previous experience in the Scottish managerial game.

are you really try to compare levels? Smith failed down south and was successful up here. I suppose if you can only think negatively that's what comes out

Who compared levels at any point? I'm using his managerial history and his most recent role instead of pretending it never happened to make a point.

Read an article recently about Bobby Williamson and what he has been doing on his football travels. Although an ex player, from long time ago, I would seriously consider him. Has worked in wide variety of places, often with little resources and done ok. A hard no nonsense man who wouldn't stand for the dross we are watching week in and out. I imagine the facilities at Murray Park would be far removed from anything he has had access to ever and just feel that someone with his clear passion for football is just what we are needing instead of going for someone who isn't currently managing or has no previous experience in the Scottish managerial game.

Some interesting info: Williamson stepped down as manager for some Kenyan mob and Frank Nuttall who was the fitness coach at Rangers under Mcleish replaced him as manager a few months ago.

I'd love a manager and assistants who:

* subscribe, completely and unequivocally, to an attractive, modern style of play which involves moving the ball around quickly on the ground.

* are good coaches.

* are serious minded and detail orientated.

* are happy to accept scouts' recommendations on "value priced" players (young, touch, pace, can improve) from the lower leagues of England and Scotland, accept them into the club and work on their game and physical development.

I'd be excited if Rangers take a serious look, in this order, in the following places:

* English League 1.

* English League 2.

* perhaps the English Championship (although it is difficult to find good value in the Championship nowadays).

* the Scottish leagues. (Looking in Scotland could be "ok", but I feel there is more ambitous and professional talent in England.)

Alternatively, if time is really of the essence, perhaps there are people who are not currently in employment that could be looked at right now.

High quality people *are* obtainable at a reasonable price.

Cost:

* ~£300K/annum salary for the first team manager.

* Assistants on less.

* Money spent on scouting.

Please just open it up to applicants and appoint the best one.

None of this former player pish, need to get away from that.

I agree 100%, if Motherwell can attract 50 odd applicants for their job I would imagine our job would attract that x3, it might surprise us by the quality of manager interested, imo McCoists fastracking us to mediocrity.

There would be huge interest in the job out there. The Laudrup brothers would be good but the money is not there I suspect. I would give Billy Davies it till the end of the season and the same time looking to see who was interested. Letting Billly Davies know if he did a good job he would be in the frame for it permentaly

are you really try to compare levels? Smith failed down south and was successful up here. I suppose if you can only think negatively that's what comes out

The guy clearly just wants McCoist in charge. He's giving any excuse he can for not considering other managers.

Very serious. Turned the Scotland team round on its head using rhe same players but actually attempting tactics. Gives youth a chance.

It won't happen but for me he would be my favoured option.

Got to hand it to him, football wise, Scotland were in as bad a place as we are now. I did think he would improve them, but surprised at by just how much with such a limited pool of talent. Getting the best out of them and playing some attractive stuff. Great passion for the game, obviously a good motivator with tactical nous and actually knows how to play the game. Him and McGhee appear to be a good double act. TBH, I don't know where we go from here. The board room stuff is bad enough, but our on the field performance is soul destroying. Even though we weren't too bad up until the sending off yesterday, we are still sadly lacking in all departments. Even the fitness levels. I sit at Ibrox and choke on the thought that we pay so much in wages and get so little in return playing against painters and plumbers. I don't get it.

I just cannot believe that we have not improved in three seasons. I wish we were not facing the scum, as I fear we are going to be seriously turned over. We are light years behind them and they ain't no great shakes. If we get seriously turned over by them, our league form could take a further nose dive, God forbid. The tide needs turned and fast. A new manager brought in who would have an immediate impact. Doesn't need to be a tactical genius, but someone who doesn't do prisoners, a motivator and knows how the game should be played.

Laudrup Brothers would be great but sadly very unlikely ,,, R.De Boar and Van Bronckhurt even started taking coaching courses/roles ???

Shota Anveladze is another that comes to mind,,, has been asst to some big names in the game and now managing in Turkey,,not sure how his team did last season but a wee look at their table this season suggests after 9 games he is just off the 3rd place by a few points with a game in hand,, i suspect that team he manages dont have a massive budget either. Still might be a bit of a gamble and I would prefer experience at this stage.

for me it would be,,

Derek Mcinnes

Billie Davies

Alex Mcleish

Struart Mcall

or as someone else said,,, anyone but ally

Pains me to say it, but I can't see a de boer, Laudrup, Gio or a Averladze coming anyway near the post. Think a few of them would do a turn, but we aren't going to get them.

Best way forward is open up and accept applicants. There will be a few surprises and decent names in there I reckon. Interview the best ones, speak to a of them and see what they want to implement here (tu)