SunSport - Ashley plans managerial change

Captain Hilts

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thought this was worth sharing, probably more out of hope than expectation (tu)

SunSport understands Mike Ashley is pushing for a managerial reshuffle at Ibrox which would see Ally McCoist losing his current job.

The Englishman has sent feelers out to former Rangers manager Alex McLeish and former player Stuart McCall about fronting a new management team at Ibrox. McLeish, currently manager at Belgian side Genk, would act as Director of Football with former Motherwell manager McCall taking up the role of Head Coach.

Ashley has voiced his disappointment over the club's performances despite the large wage bill held by the squad. He feels the lack of spark on the pitch will heavily affect the brand, forecasting poor merchandise sales even if they did earn promotion back to the Scottish Premiership. He has instructed Ibrox advisor Derek Llambias to get the majority of the board on side with his plan as he looks to tighten his grip further on the Scottish Championship side. Ashley hopes to relieve McCoist of managerial duties and have the board offer him a seat at the table.

Sounds like complete guesswork.

The Sun like to invent sport stories. Iain King was always the worst culprit. He ran a story in 2005 that Alex Ferguson was being lined up to replace McLeish. Another belter was a photo shopped picture of Boyd in a filth shirt with the headline 'Bhoydy'. I'm calling bullshit on this one.

We live in hope.

Not sure Ally to the board would save money. Surely he won't go from whatever his salary is now to nothing as a board member without some sort of compensation.

McCall as a free agent should cost nothing other than what we would pay him but I would expect we would have to pay compensation to Gent plus a wage for McLeish.

Will Ashley bankroll this?

This is a pathetic attempt from the media to sell news. They have read our desire to replace Ally and put two and two together and got a spunk load of shit!

If Ashley thinks the fans want Alex and Stuart, he must be a numpty and we know he ain't. That and the fact McLeish is contracted as a manager and no owner would buy out a contract for a director of football.

I really, really doubt the Sun have any idea what Ashley's plans are. In years of being in charge at Newcastle he's defied everything the media have written - all the shit about Pardew etc.

Bull, Ashley's clever enough to use the mhedia when required. I mean you wouldn't have to be bright to outfox them would you?

Nonsense this won't happen. If they do get someone people in I hope they show more imagination. The only bit I liked was getting Ally on the board I actually think he would know how to deal with the likes of the SFA etc . He stopped Green from giving away out titles

Doubt it will happen.

McCall wouldn't be my first choice anyway. He had done decent at Motherwell on a limited budget, but managing a club like Rangers is a totally different ball game. I really don't think he'd be much better than McCoist, and I don't think he is the answer to pulling back the nine point gap and winning the Championship, or taking us forward long term.