Strong Words from Young Will

Big Al 55

Good to see him blog about the football, have to agree with this one;

How Are The Mighty Fallen

DECEMBER 7, 2014 / BILLMCMURDO

I have to be honest and say that yesterday was heartbreaking to watch as a Rangers supporter.

Rangers were rank rotten – and that is being kind – but to see the sparsely filled stands and feel the sombre mood on a bitterly cold, wet day was very hard to take.

Make no mistake – we are watching a club on life support, possibly in its death throes and dying a cruel, horrible death.

Too melodramatic and negative? Maybe so but if you want to argue against it, give me good reasons because I sure could use them, as could thousands of others.

When Rangers eventually scored yesterday, people around me actually turned away in embarrassment because it was a goal Cowdenbeath did not deserve to lose against a woefully inept Rangers eleven. In fact, if the plucky Fifers had any kind of goal threat, the result would have arguably been very different. In every other area of the pitch, they more than matched Rangers for pace, technical ability, tactics and confidence.

As I watched the torment on the park, it was difficult to not ponder how this clueless bunch are going to perform in places like Easter Road in coming weeks without shedding more points to leave themselves hopelessly adrift in the Championship title race. Not to mention the fastly approaching cup tie against Celtic, who don’t have their own troubles to seek but who have to be stick-on favourites for the match. Gers fans can only hope for a clear-out at Parkhead in the January window to bring some kind of leveller.

The words of the blog title haunted me as I tried to keep warm against the harsh winds that buffeted a bleak Ibrox. This was the once mighty Glasgow Rangers I was watching. A club shorn of its very spirit by greed and vainglory, humbled in its arrogance and haughtiness, with many of its once loyal fans riddled with fear and loathing for its present regime. The mighty not just fallen but being trampled upon.

Contrary to one media report I read, the team WERE booed off the park, though the mooted anti-McCoist protest didn’t materialise. You have to wonder if it was because people decided it wasn’t the done thing for Rangers fans to do or just apathy and an expression of the mounting sense of resignation within the fan base.

It has to be said – Rangers fans have stopped dreaming and hoping. And the vast majority have certainly stopped believing. Cynicism, suspicion and hostility form the mindset of thousands of bluenoses at the present time. This is all made worse by the implicit understanding that a run of good results will not really change anything – nor will this cure the core diseases that ravage this once powerful institution.

Rangers are sick at heart. The answer is a strong leader but there is no-one on the horizon who fills that role. Everyone involved is hanging on to their own sphere of power and influence at the club. There is no Willie Waddell, no Bill Struth or Jock Wallace to rally the Ibrox battallions and have them face the same way instead of train their guns at each other.

Yes, there is Mike Ashley. I am confident that he will step forward and provide both leadership and funding to steer Rangers away from the rocks and back to ruling the seas.

But in all honesty I have to say that the margins are so fine at this very critical juncture that he might do so just too late to prevent a shipwreck.

And let there be no doubt – what’s left of Scottish football will drown in the wake.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there is Mike Ashley. I am confident that he will step forward and provide both leadership and funding to steer Rangers away from the rocks and back to ruling the seas.

But in all honesty I have to say that the margins are so fine at this very critical juncture that he might do so just too late to prevent a shipwreck.

That doesn't make sense.

How can you be confident in Ashely yet think he might be too late?

Is he saying Ashely, the billionaire and shrewd businessm doesn't know what he is doing?

Looks like Young Will got the "Rangersitis" part wrong again.

Aye and telling moshni he is fucking useless and being asked to sit down and stop shouting was a joke. Then to have a cunt called Kevin take me outside and speak to me before asking me to return to me seat so the rest of the boys around me don't go mental

This is the state of our club. He said they were on high alert to deal with ally protests. I said nothing sectarian racial of feck all. Because I was being animated . Ffs most bears were.

Added to that someone took not well in the east enclosure and they fucking stewards stood at the corner doing feck all. Someone had to run back along the stand to go get a stretcher.

This is where we are as a club. D is functional, inept and to be honest a letter is going into ibrox on Monday not that I expect a reply. Fucking joke

How do you see this whole sorry saga panning out Mr B? eg where do you honestly see us in 12 months.

Here's where I would like to see us

Get rid of the remnants of the board associated with the old regime

Get rid of the management team

Rebuild the whole ethos of the football side of things including youth & coaching

Ban those fans for life who have profited from our troubles (we all know who they are)

Run the club as a business

Bring back the Billy Boys