*** New Manager Discussion ***

coatbrigpirate

I am not sure what you mean to be honest.

This bit...

No more Nicky Laws, Ian Blacks or Ricky Fosters. No rubbish. No mediocre journeymen. From now on it must be quality. Real quality.

You had a wee dig at me because I suggested a cathro as a no 2 to Magath.

Same principle applies - go for quality managers.

Yet on another thread you are talking about going for a rated Spanish manager!

Be consistent.

A new manager will be appointed when King and co are certain they have identified the correct man to take us forward.

He has said that he won't be rushing to appoint a new manager because he wants to make sure he gets the decision right.

He had three years to think about it.

I can't see a new manager being appointed till King is given the green light as chairman, how can we approach any top coach/ manager when the club is still unsure who is actually running it?

We're stuck with Ken for a while to come, bye bye promotion

That should all have been sorted before he got in, Why the delay on his part.

Yes it should have been sorted, but it seems Mr King does nothing in a hurry it has to be thought about.

The clubs sinking and urgency is required

He's just in the door FS! Hardly the boards fault the mess we are in on the park.

Thorsten Fink?

Didn't do too well with Hamburg but he had an excellent record with Basel, who play in a league which is probably a lot more comparable with Scotland in terms of quality and difficulty to manage in than the Bundesliga is.

Not sure about Fink but FC Basle is definitely a club we could learn alot from. Young, fast, exciting team with an incredible in-stadium atmosphere. Like a smaller version of Shakhtar Donetsk.

A new manager will be appointed when King and co are certain they have identified the correct man to take us forward.

He has said that he won't be rushing to appoint a new manager because he wants to make sure he gets the decision right.

What have they been doing for the last 3 or 4 months that they have known they were getting the club?

There is a big problem in getting a new manager. There are managers of a very good calibre would come to Rangers in the top league, who wouldn't look at us twice in the championship. That is an issue, and we need promotion this season to take us forward. Staying in this league only compounds the issues we face.

Next manager should be Glenn Hoddle. Hed bring a bit a flair back, good coach good contacts he wudna have let Charlie Telfer go. McLeod would be worth 20 million after a preseason on the training ground wae Hoddle

Fuck off!

There is a big problem in getting a new manager. There are managers of a very good calibre would come to Rangers in the top league, who wouldn't look at us twice in the championship. That is an issue, and we need promotion this season to take us forward. Staying in this league only compounds the issues we face.

A fair point to make, however I think the size of the rebuild and no doubt lack of money available to bring in players is just as equal a turn off if not greater for some of these "very good calibre" managers. I think for this very reason its going to have to be an up and coming manager who wants to make a name for themselves or someone that can see further ahead than the next season i.e. the bigger picture of European nights at Ibrox.

Some managers would perhaps prefer a blank canvas and the freedom to redefine a club from the way they train to the style of play as well as establishing a solid youth development programme and scouting network. I doubt however you'd ever have seen Dick Advocaat walk into the managers position had we been in the position we find ourselves now.

It's not an easy call and I agree with King saying they have to take their time for the appointment of the long term manager. It depends on how badly the current board want to get up this season. If they think that we can survive next year in the championship then I reckon they'll stick with McDowall until the end of the season. If they want up then I think the short term solution is Stuart McCall on a 3 month deal. If he exceeds all expectations then maybe give him another year, but personally I think a change of mentality is required at the club now that we can only do if we clear out about 75% of the personnel we have on and off the field (off the field needs to be 100% removal in my mind). This will take time, so it all comes down to wanting to get out of this division at the first time of asking......my money is on Cathro and Wotte/Magath in the summer with McDowall in charge til then.

A fair point to make, however I think the size of the rebuild and no doubt lack of money available to bring in players is just as equal a turn off if not greater for some of these "very good calibre" managers. I think for this very reason its going to have to be an up and coming manager who wants to make a name for themselves or someone that can see further ahead than the next season i.e. the bigger picture of European nights at Ibrox.

Some managers would perhaps prefer a blank canvas and the freedom to redefine a club from the way they train to the style of play as well as establishing a solid youth development programme and scouting network. I doubt however you'd ever have seen Dick Advocaat walk into the managers position had we been in the position we find ourselves now.

It's not an easy call and I agree with King saying they have to take their time for the appointment of the long term manager. It depends on how badly the current board want to get up this season. If they think that we can survive next year in the championship then I reckon they'll stick with McDowall until the end of the season. If they want up then I think the short term solution is Stuart McCall on a 3 month deal. If he exceeds all expectations then maybe give him another year, but personally I think a change of mentality is required at the club now that we can only do if we clear out about 75% of the personnel we have on and off the field (off the field needs to be 100% removal in my mind). This will take time, so it all comes down to wanting to get out of this division at the first time of asking......my money is on Cathro and Wotte/Magath in the summer with McDowall in charge til then.

Good points. If only Kenny McDowell would make it a lot easier for everyone if he could get us promoted.