*** New Manager Discussion ***

coatbrigpirate

Good points. If only Kenny McDowell would make it a lot easier for everyone if he could get us promoted.

If we had to finish second then I would say we don't stand a chance. Even if we finish 4th I think there is a slim possibility that we might get lucky in the play-offs but there will be no margin for error.

Many have said if McDowall stays in charge we won't go up but I think even someone like McCall would struggle to turn this around. The players seem set in their ways so unless someone comes in and pulls the rug from under the team and starts to play younger players and more attacking and direct players e.g. templeton, then I can see us struggling to get the kind of performances required to get through the play-off schedule.

What I do think will be happening now is some number crunching (after looking at our books of course to see where the money has gone/is going) to determine a budget for Premiership and also for Championship....hence the rallying call for fans to return to the matches.

This bit...

No more Nicky Laws, Ian Blacks or Ricky Fosters. No rubbish. No mediocre journeymen. From now on it must be quality. Real quality.

You had a wee dig at me because I suggested a cathro as a no 2 to Magath.

Same principle applies - go for quality managers.

Yet on another thread you are talking about going for a rated Spanish manager!

Be consistent.

I am consistent. We need quality players and a quality manager. It's as simple as that. I only questioned whether Cathro would be happy swapping being Number 2 at Valencia for being Number 2 at Rangers. I doubt he would. I doubt anyone would tbh. I don't have a problem with you thinking we need or you wanting a quality manager for Rangers. That's what we need afterall. I want Rangnick or Jemez in charge. Rela quality. Frankly the idea of a Stuart McCall or Terry Butcher makes me sick.

If we had to finish second then I would say we don't stand a chance. Even if we finish 4th I think there is a slim possibility that we might get lucky in the play-offs but there will be no margin for error.

Many have said if McDowall stays in charge we won't go up but I think even someone like McCall would struggle to turn this around. The players seem set in their ways so unless someone comes in and pulls the rug from under the team and starts to play younger players and more attacking and direct players e.g. templeton, then I can see us struggling to get the kind of performances required to get through the play-off schedule.

What I do think will be happening now is some number crunching (after looking at our books of course to see where the money has gone/is going) to determine a budget for Premiership and also for Championship....hence the rallying call for fans to return to the matches.

I feel it is a matter of necessity that we go up this season. The disappointing aspect to today was that the players didn't take the events of yesterday into the game. I still feel someone like McCall could get something extra even from this squad.

He's just in the door FS! Hardly the boards fault the mess we are in on the park.

So over the past months he has taken no interest in the football club only winning the keys? Unlike almost every other Bear who have done nothing but talk about how shite the team and management are and how change was needed.

Only now that he's got the keys does he start thinking about who should be our new coach.

I don't care who is sitting in the boardroom, I do care about the club, the football is more important than any director

I love how this Kings only in the door stuff is expected to fly...I mean before they came into taking over they knew we were in a mess on and off the park!

I think surely he is saying one thing in that he's going to take his time but in reality he knows who he wants to bring in and will do so quickly!!

At least I hope that's the case,not like he's came into this blind on the football front!

I feel it is a matter of necessity that we go up this season. The disappointing aspect to today was that the players didn't take the events of yesterday into the game. I still feel someone like McCall could get something extra even from this squad.

It goes without saying that there would be a honeymoon period with a new manager, that might just be enough to get us over the line. I don't know enough about McCall's man management to know whether the players would buck up. What needs to happen is to knock the crap out of them mentally, break them down to the point where they feel so ashamed and are nearly in tears, to then rebuild their mentality in the correct way. The last 3 years have been like a school classroom where the teacher doesn't show up.....have a joke in training, eat what you like and as much as you like, stay at posh hotels the night before a game etc. etc. I think a poster mentioned the sand dunes......my thoughts exactly, this squad have been treated with kid gloves for far too long and someone has to lay into them. The alternative is dragging along as we our now watching the last faint hopes of promotion disappear and wait until we can get rid of everyone and start from scratch in the summer, giving Cathro his full pre-season that he stated he wanted.

With a crystal ball we could see which decision is better in the long run and I know many think another season in the Championship would end us, maybe it will, or maybe it could be a blessing in disguise allowing the club to re-align correctly for long term success rather than short term gain. McCoist's signing policy from July 2012 showed a complete lack foreward thnking as he looked at the short term gain i.e. 3 promotions and to hell with it after that. I just don't want the same type of short sightedness coming back to haunt us in another 2-3 years.

If the new Board believed that bringing in a new manager - even on an interim basis - would materially improve the prospect of a shower of massively underperforming players being (suddenly and immediately) transformed into credible play off winners then they would make a move. But sadly from what the new Board seem to be saying they only think that promotion might be possible with some extra effort and enthusiasm from within existing resources (well that's my take on what they are saying anyway).

In so doing they (the Board) are setting their most important football priority is to find the right manager / coach who can build a team to deliver the football ambition. And they are not going to be hurried or hustled into this. The season will now be what it will be with no real intervention of any note or any substance. Those who have failed - and its a lot - will (I guess) simply leave at the end of the season and eventually be forgotten other than having earned the inglorious tag of being a player in the worst Rangers squad in the history of the Club.

Maybe they will receive an offer of help from someone who could step in at very little cost (maybe just expenses and an honorarium if he managed to turn it around and lead us to promotion). Who? Walter S? Felix M? What would there be to lose if they Board has already taken the view that its focus is predominantly on finding the right long term manager? One thing is virtually for sure - carrying on with McD and the current coaching team does not lead to promotion and may not even lead us to play off places. Just how bad can it get? Well at current rates of lack of progress - quite a lot worse actually.

3 to 4 months?

The EGM only got called at the end of January. He knew he had the support to be elected onto the board about three weeks ago.

They knew they were getting the club when the EGM was called. He said as much himself. That was why he called it. What have they done, even in the last month to find a new manager? Looks like hee haw. We have never been more desperate.

They knew they were getting the club when the EGM was called. He said as much himself. That was why he called it. What have they done, even in the last month to find a new manager? Looks like hee haw. We have never been more desperate.

Well if you watched his recent interviews and press conferences, you'll hear him saying that they are in the process of finding the right man.

Well if you watched his recent interviews and press conferences, you'll hear him saying that they are in the process of finding the right man.

"In the process" and now "McDowall will be in charge until the summer" It's not good enough. The club needs direction. We need to know the level of ambition they are willing to show, are they going for a mediocre McCall or are they going for a man befitting our club like a Rangnick? Does King mean business or is he just happy to have his feet under the table and battling it out with Dundee Utd and Aberdeen for 2nd and 3rd place.

3 to 4 months?

The EGM only got called at the end of January. He knew he had the support to be elected onto the board about three weeks ago.

But he's never in all the time he's been planning taking control who he'd like to see as manager or consulted with anyone in the know who might be candidates for the job, only now is he thinking about it.

Yes, I call that forward planning

"In the process" and now "McDowall will be in charge until the summer" It's not good enough. The club needs direction. We need to know the level of ambition they are willing to show, are they going for a mediocre McCall or are they going for a man befitting our club like a Rangnick? Does King mean business or is he just happy to have his feet under the table and battling it out with Dundee Utd and Aberdeen for 2nd and 3rd place.

Again, if you watched his interviews you would know.

His plan is to make sure that we get at least second in our first season back in the PL. He says that he thinks that's an achievable target.

Then once we are the second best club in Scotland and back in the EL, the plan will be to go after Celtic which he believes will take a few years.

I am consistent. We need quality players and a quality manager. It's as simple as that. I only questioned whether Cathro would be happy swapping being Number 2 at Valencia for being Number 2 at Rangers. I doubt he would. I doubt anyone would tbh. I don't have a problem with you thinking we need or you wanting a quality manager for Rangers. That's what we need afterall. I want Rangnick or Jemez in charge. Rela quality. Frankly the idea of a Stuart McCall or Terry Butcher makes me sick.

Fair enough - we are on the same page after all.

Aim high and go for someone a bit different and less obvious.