*** New Manager Discussion ***

coatbrigpirate

So do you know a lot about Cathro or did you just read it in the paper a few months back and convinced yourself he's the answer.

I don't know a lot about Cathro. I'm like a lot of fans who don't know much about any manager other than ones we've had since the early 90s as well as the obvious high profile ones down south and around Europe. I didn't think I was giving the impression that I was some kind of Cathro fanatic, or that I'd done my research and decided he was the best choice. My point about choosing someone who has proven themselves at a smaller club or in a smaller league and is ready to make the step up should make it obvious that I don't think Cathro would be the best choice. I even went to the effort of saying I appreciated it would be a big risk. Would I be saying that if I was convinced he's 'the answer'?

The only claim I made was that Cathro was a more inspiring suggestion (to me) than the others being regularly mentioned. I specifically used the word inspired because it reinforced the point I go on to make that the decision on who becomes our next manager should involve a level of creative thinking and foresight that is lacking from the uninspired names being trotted out right now. My point was that we should be looking further afield, trying to identify someone whose ready to make the step up to a more well known team, but not quite ready for the top teams just yet. If you take a look at the 'Names Outwith The Speculation' thread you'll see a lot on here agree with me. My whole point is that we should go for someone I've probably never heard of, so I'd already done the job of making the point you make that I don't have 'the answer'.

They probably got that from in here.

No chance. He is leaving his present roll because he does not want to work with a DOF, something that looks like we will most probably have. Also he will have some other English teams looking at them right now. No chance.

Doubt this is going to happen. The set up, as mentioned above, is going to be a head coach and a DOF.

I really want us to go for a foreign manager and allow him to make the changes that PLG wasn't. This is the time to completely change the club and that is the way to do it.

Do have a terrible feeling that it's going to be more jobs for the boys!

If we do this, which I hope we do, we need to have a coach and board with the balls to see it through.

Apparently they will look into it...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31780476

"Paul Murray has revealed the new regime at Rangers have been contacted by managers hoping to take over at the Ibrox club.

Murray, Dave King and John Gilligan ousted the previous board at Friday's extraordinary general meeting.

"There are lots of candidates coming towards us and offering their services," Murray told BBC Scotland.

"We've got some ideas of our own and we're talking to people within the game that we respect."

Kenny McDowall is in interim charge of Rangers following the resignation of manager Ally McCoist, who is on gardening leave until the end of the season.

McDowall has also handed in his notice, but Murray insists the new board will not rush the decision to appoint a new boss.

"Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowall are employees of the club, we have to sit down with them when the dust settles and find out what they want to do," added Murray.

"We'll sit down with Kenny, he's been working under incredibly difficult circumstances, and we'll have that conversation next week.

Im in the Cathro camp. I'll be honest and say i dont know much about him other than what iv read on here, but he sounds like he has fresh ideas and lets face it he wont be any worse than the current/ past management team. Id take Warburton/Weir aswell. If Davie could do half as much as a coach as he did as a player im sure it could only be good for us

The last quotes I read from Cathro, he stated he wanted three years out of his stint in Valencia as Assistant Manager before returning to the UK at a lower level at the very start of pre-seaaon to become a manager in his own right.

http://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29463560

Warburton and Weir also worked with a technical director so this could be an ideal team for a complete rebuild. Not a director of football in the sense of being Warburtons boss but setting up the coaching throughout the club and ensuring cohesion from youths to first team.

Here's a wee article,

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11748/9718079/how-mark-warburton-and-his-close-knit-team-guided-brentford-to

After Brentford confirm manager Mark Warburton will be replaced at the end of the season, Sky Sports journalist Lyall Thomas, who has reported on Brentford for several years, introduces you to the men that made the club successful...

Mark Warburton, in his first managerial role, has guided Brentford to their highest league position in over half a century and established them as credible contenders to reach the top flight of English football for the first time in almost 70 years.

Despite this, owner Matthew Benham - a life-long Brentford supporter who bought the majority sharehold in 2012 - believes the philosophy of Warburton and his immediate staff cannot take the club any further.

Warburton has not been the figurehead at the top of a pile but more the nucleus of a close-knit group of people carefully selected not only for their talents and previous achievements but also for their personalities.

Here we take a look at the men that have helped take Brentford from mid-table in League One to Premier League contenders inside just 14 months, but are no longer wanted by the club.

Mark Warburton - Manager

The London-born former investment banker was regarded as one of the best academy coaches around long before he took over from Uwe Rosler in December 2013. Warburton is from the same school of thought as Brendan Rodgers, Sean Dyche, Malky Mackay and Aidy Boothroyd, all of whom he worked with in a four-year spell at Watford and remain his close friends.

Warburton was overlooked for the Brentford manager's job when Rosler was hired in 2011, becoming the club's sporting director instead, and it was in this role that he built the footballing infrastructure that proved so successful.

Not only did Warburton strive for one of the best medical departments in the country, but he fully embraced sports science and cutting-edge player analysis software, creating an environment from which his players have thrived on the pitch.

Warburton also signed a string of promising youngsters from Premier League clubs either on loan or permanently, all of whom have contributed to the club's success. Everton duo Jake Bidwell and Adam Forshaw, Harlee Dean from Southampton, Nico Yennaris and Jon Toral from Arsenal, Tottenham's Alex Pritchard and Chelsea's George Saville are to name the most prominent.

He has also honed the talents of Alan Judge when others could not and turned Andre Gray from a talented non-league goalscorer into one of the most dangerous forwards in the Championship.

Frank McParland Sporting Director

McParland is another highly-regarded coach and scout previously employed by Rafael Benitez to head Liverpool's academy and is credited with having spotted and developed Raheem Sterling and Jordan Ibe, among others.

His long-standing connection and shared ideas with Warburton during their time in England's youth system meant he was the perfect fit to take his place as sporting director in 2013 and he picked up where Warburton left off in signing players that would help take Brentford to where they are.

McParland has been placed on gardening leave by the club.

David Weir Assistant Manager

Former Scotland international Weir joined Brentford as Warburton's assistant after an unsuccessful spell as Sheffield United manager. He had learned much from a year-long stint as a coach under David Moyes at Everton and was even interviewed for the Everton job when Moyes left for Manchester United.

Weir is another who shares Warburton's progressive, modern ideas on coaching and management and has given balance to the coaching team.

But, like Warburton, he will continue with first-team duties only as far as May 2015

Stories like this are ten a penny. If there's an actual quote from Murray/King I'd pay a bit more attention.

Assuming it's true, I'd be uninspired. Personally I'm uninspired by all the names touted on here recently, apart from Cathro but I appreciate it'd a be a big risk.

I want an unknown gem with a good track record who looks like a perfect fit (develops youth, works with budget, knows how to win week-in-week-out). I think we should cast the net wider than UK and look for someone of a good pedigree from a nation that doesn't pay the funny money on wages that we/English clubs do. I'd be concerned about him fitting in but to be fair if you look at all the top managers down south most are foreign so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

If you look most top managers they start somewhere small, then move somewhere medium and end up somewhere big. We need to get a guy from the small team whose destined for the big team.

An 'UNKNOWN gem who has a good track record' :lol: - err mutually exclusive IMHO!

After Brentford confirm manager Mark Warburton will be replaced at the end of the season, Sky Sports journalist Lyall Thomas, who has reported on Brentford for several years, introduces you to the men that made the club successful...

Mark Warburton, in his first managerial role, has guided Brentford to their highest league position in over half a century and established them as credible contenders to reach the top flight of English football for the first time in almost 70 years.

Despite this, owner Matthew Benham - a life-long Brentford supporter who bought the majority sharehold in 2012 - believes the philosophy of Warburton and his immediate staff cannot take the club any further.

Warburton has not been the figurehead at the top of a pile but more the nucleus of a close-knit group of people carefully selected not only for their talents and previous achievements but also for their personalities.

Here we take a look at the men that have helped take Brentford from mid-table in League One to Premier League contenders inside just 14 months, but are no longer wanted by the club.

Mark Warburton - Manager

The London-born former investment banker was regarded as one of the best academy coaches around long before he took over from Uwe Rosler in December 2013. Warburton is from the same school of thought as Brendan Rodgers, Sean Dyche, Malky Mackay and Aidy Boothroyd, all of whom he worked with in a four-year spell at Watford and remain his close friends.

Warburton was overlooked for the Brentford manager's job when Rosler was hired in 2011, becoming the club's sporting director instead, and it was in this role that he built the footballing infrastructure that proved so successful.

Not only did Warburton strive for one of the best medical departments in the country, but he fully embraced sports science and cutting-edge player analysis software, creating an environment from which his players have thrived on the pitch.

Warburton also signed a string of promising youngsters from Premier League clubs either on loan or permanently, all of whom have contributed to the club's success. Everton duo Jake Bidwell and Adam Forshaw, Harlee Dean from Southampton, Nico Yennaris and Jon Toral from Arsenal, Tottenham's Alex Pritchard and Chelsea's George Saville are to name the most prominent.

He has also honed the talents of Alan Judge when others could not and turned Andre Gray from a talented non-league goalscorer into one of the most dangerous forwards in the Championship.

Frank McParland Sporting Director

McParland is another highly-regarded coach and scout previously employed by Rafael Benitez to head Liverpool's academy and is credited with having spotted and developed Raheem Sterling and Jordan Ibe, among others.

His long-standing connection and shared ideas with Warburton during their time in England's youth system meant he was the perfect fit to take his place as sporting director in 2013 and he picked up where Warburton left off in signing players that would help take Brentford to where they are.

McParland has been placed on gardening leave by the club.

David Weir Assistant Manager

Former Scotland international Weir joined Brentford as Warburton's assistant after an unsuccessful spell as Sheffield United manager. He had learned much from a year-long stint as a coach under David Moyes at Everton and was even interviewed for the Everton job when Moyes left for Manchester United.

Weir is another who shares Warburton's progressive, modern ideas on coaching and management and has given balance to the coaching team.

But, like Warburton, he will continue with first-team duties only as far as May 2015

Reading this make me think they would be an ideal team !

I'm convinced a new man with different ideas and tactics would get a whole lot more out of this squad. They're no world beaters but they should be playing, and getting better results than they're currently getting. McDowall is just a clone of the Smith/McCoist pragmatic outlook on getting results. To quote Watty "just win"

There is no flair or imagination in mcdowalls outlook. It's all "three straight rigid lines' of formation with hard work and determination being the watchwords. It takes me back to McCoist's season in charge before administration. The football was awful but we got wee Aluko into the team and things sparked into life.

We need a winger - every week - and we need Vuckic or his ilk to play between midfield and attack, between the lines so to speak. at the moment we knock the ball about with sterile passing until we inevitably lose it and it's happening every week and no player changes or different tactics are being tried. That's frightening.

Get wee McCall in until the end if the season and see if we can build some momentum. We've nothing to lose!

An 'UNKNOWN gem who has a good track record' :lol: - err mutually exclusive IMHO!

I'm not using the term unknown in the literal, universal sense. Let me rephrase it so it doesn't cause you so much offence - someone who has done well at a smaller club or in a smaller league (preferably by working within a budget and developing youth) that hasn't yet been courted by teams of our size. Hopefully you'll agree it's feasible that people like that exist. It's the same principle as having a scouting network, where you try to be quick of the mark in finding the next generation of talent. Maybe I am just delusional.

I'm not using the term unknown in the literal, universal sense. Let me rephrase it so it doesn't cause you so much offence - someone who has done well at a smaller club or in a smaller league (preferably by working within a budget and developing youth) that hasn't yet been courted by teams of our size. Hopefully you'll agree it's feasible that people like that exist. It's the same principle as having a scouting network, where you try to be quick of the mark in finding the next generation of talent. Maybe I am just delusional.

100% Correct.

Three years ago i suggested Eddie Howe or Karl Robinson as future managers post - AMC.

Howe in particular has grown his reputation and will no doubt manage in the EPL in the next year or so.

For too long most fans look at which ex-Ranger is doing well at any particular time.

Need to think outside the box for our next appointment imo.

100% Correct.

Three years ago i suggested Eddie Howe or Karl Robinson as future managers post - AMC.

Howe in particular has grown his reputation and will no doubt manage in the EPL in the next year or so.

For too long most fans look at which ex-Ranger is doing well at any particular time.

Need to think outside the box for our next appointment imo.

Well if you had mentioned Eddie Howe to me three years ago I'd honestly have told you to gtf.

Having watched him over the past few years and listened numerous times to his footballing ethos I'd take him in a heartbeat. He not oly changed the Bournemouth team he brought in his own people nld altered the whole philosophy throughout the club. Something a non-money-grabbing-bastard could have done for us in 2012.

Well if you had mentioned Eddie Howe to me three years ago I'd honestly have told you to gtf.

Having watched him over the past few years and listened numerous times to his footballing ethos I'd take him in a heartbeat. He not oly changed the Bournemouth team he brought in his own people nld altered the whole philosophy throughout the club. Something a non-money-grabbing-bastard could have done for us in 2012.

A few people did in private conversations.

What i was trying to get at was essentially what Simplythebest said ie - identifying a up and coming young manager who is still "under the radar" so to speak.

Justin Edinburgh is another worth keeping an eye on.

Cathro would certainly be an interesting appointment though his man-management style may have to change.

The talk of Cathro with a DOF is misguided unless it's a DOF who Cathro trusts and shares similar ideas with.

The put in Magath as Cathros boss would be strange. You can't take a young guy full of ideas and marry him up with another guy in his 60s who is also a unique character. Magath is a fitness junkie and Cathros training is all about technique and maximising touches in the ball.

Everyone would have to be on the same wavelength and that relationship seems doomed.

I favour Warburton because his backroom team includes a technical director who isn't overbearing and there is an existing relationship there.

If it's Cathro he has to have an input into who he works with