Durie & Jig first team coaches ?, Durrant demoted ?

jcb

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian Durrant has been demoted from his role as a first team coach at Rangers following manager Ally McCoist's exit.

The former Ibrox midfielder will now take charge of the club's under-20s side.

It is understood ex-Rangers striker Gordon Durie, who was under-20s coach, will make the jump to help Kenny McDowall with first team matters.

McDowall was made caretaker boss after McCoist was placed on gardening leave on Sunday night.

Durrant played for the Ibrox outfit from 1984-1998 and returned to the club as a coach in 2005.

The 48-year-old was part of the backroom team under previous boss Walter Smith and McCoist.

has Kenny Miller not done his badges as when he was out injured and was doing the analysis on BT sport he had quite a few ideas how he would do things differently

Miller can still play though mate, think this is a roundabout way to get Jig out the squad if true.

I like it, Jig has been solid for us but is getting on, he's always been giving advice to the youth so this is the next logical step imo, he's played every position so knows the game, lets give him a chance

Durie confirmed so I wonder then if the Mcculloch bit is true? I saw someone on twitter say that this was embarrassing but I'll be honest, if it gets Mcculloch out of the first team then it could be a complete stroke of genius. I just wonder if it is Kenny who made the call ?!?

I'm hoping against hope that the thought process is that KMcD is thinking of bringing in more youth to the side. If so, no one is better placed at Ibrox to give him the most up to date info than Durie.

Not only has Jukebox seen our youth side firsthand but also seen their opponents for the last couple of years so hopefully can suggest a few for Kenny to pick up.

I get the feeling that any suggestions Durie made to Ally would've fallen on deaf ears.

Hopefully there will be no need to give McCulloch a coaching job just to get him out of the team. He should be out of the team anyway, andI wouldn't let him anywhere near the coaching side of things. There is nothing in the way McCulloch plays the game that would lead me to think he might have the makings of a smart, sophisticated, modern coach.

The inane and pointless piss taker strikes again.

News outlets now confirming Durie's promotion.

Thankfully no mention of McCulloch.

Durrant should go. No way should he be allowed to ruin the academy players.

Disagree with the last statement. Durranty was a completely natural player, nothing coached it all came through (cliche) 'god given talent'. He may give some of the lads a free rein and allow them to develop natural skills and confidence. I say its worth a shot.

There's good and bad for me in these changes. Firstly were they by McDowall or by the board?

Secondly will Durie cope with the pressure as a 1st team coach?

Also would like to know what Durrant brings to any coaching role. He has never struck me as a coach/manager in all his time under Smith or McCoist.

And lastly if the changes were made by McDowall has he promoted McCulloch to remove him from 1st team duties. If he has it could be a very good move. If he continues at centre half and nothing really changes then he will lose the support from the 1st game.

There's good and bad for me in these changes. Firstly were they by McDowall or by the board?

Secondly will Durie cope with the pressure as a 1st team coach?

Also would like to know what Durrant brings to any coaching role. He has never struck me as a coach/manager in all his time under Smith or McCoist.

And lastly if the changes were made by McDowall has he promoted McCulloch to remove him from 1st team duties. If he has it could be a very good move. If he continues at centre half and nothing really changes then he will lose the support from the 1st game.

Very little pressure on coaches, it all falls on the boss, so no issues there IMHO.

Durrant and McCulloch shouldn't even be at the club

Durrant is a waste of a wage, the guy has earned a fortune whilst standing in the dugout with his hands in his pockets like a stroppy teenager.

Im not convinced that the new structure will be any better however I'm willing to give them a fair crack of the whip. I hope its McDowall thats had an input in demoting Durrant & promoting Durie as it shows he was aware that things needed to change.

Onwards & hopefully upwards from here.

No way has mcdowell demoted durrant obviously it was the board

There's nothing obvious about it.

In fact, I'm more inclined to think that during the discussions K.McD had about taking the manager's role, he asked for Durie as his No. 2. It's more likely that it was that discussion which prompted Somers to mention the need for the gap between youth and the first team to dwindle.

I can only hope that's Kenny's vision.

I've seen nothing, nor heard nothing from those likely to know, that Durrant is good enough to be a coach at Rangers.

I wouldn't lose hope in McCulloch. Whilst gut instinct says I don't think he'll be a great coach, some of the best in the business were bang average players... I'm happy for a chance to be given. Please though Kenny....... He's a coach first, player second..... and only used when needed.

He doesn't look focused in any training pictures...always laughing and joking it would seem..but hey that's probably just a coincidence that the camera only catches the hysterical goings on, I am sure that there really is a sincere work ethic at play.