Memories Of Stewart Kennedy

Always thought that he was a good keeper despite some lapses. Recall some good saves in an Old Firm League Cup Final from the mid-1970s. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" seems to sum up his career and he played in some good teams and some poorer teams. Couldn't get a ticket for the Old Firm Scottish Cup Final in 1977 but watched the game on tv on a visit back home - recall we hit the bar with a header in the dying minutes. Still remember Kennedy with the shirt untucked, ungainly and uneven. I always think that he played for Rangers more often than I ever will. A Fifer?

Always liked Kennedy, he had a terrific season until the fated 5-1 game for Scotland at Wembley, I don't think he managed to recover his confidence after that, and any mistake he made afterwards he was reminded of that afternoon in London.

On a side note, the Scottish supporters were brilliant afterwards, I remember walking down Wembley way after the game chanting to the English supporters in there buses "you couldny make it six, you couldny make six, you couldny make it six" , happy days were Wembley weekends.

like someone else said he was a decent keeper until Wembley. after that it was either a horror show or a great performance nothing like an average game. some said he was the wrong guy for Wembley but for me he was the clear choice playing great for us it was the next step.hindsight is great perhaps it came a bit to early for him.

Huge respect to him.

We had our player of the year dance on the Saturday night after we drew 1-1 at Easter Road to win the title and stop the beggars getting 10 in a row.

Kennedy was our player of the year and he turned up with Colin Jackson in tow plus a local lad Ian McDougal ( went to school with him)

Always liked Kennedy, he had a terrific season until the fated 5-1 game for Scotland at Wembley, I don't think he managed to recover his confidence after that, and any mistake he made afterwards he was reminded of that afternoon in London.

On a side note, the Scottish supporters were brilliant afterwards, I remember walking down Wembley way after the game chanting to the English supporters in there buses "you couldny make it six, you couldny make six, you couldny make it six" , happy days were Wembley weekends.

True story - my surname's Kennedy and the big man's woeful performance in this game stopped me being christened Stewart! My old man was so distraught at his performance he told me he couldn't bring himself to give me that name :lol:

Fair to say the old man wasn't his biggest fan ;)

Last I saw him was at our work selling electrical equipment to us about 20 years ago

I remember him coming into my work driving an an electrical supplies van. A great keeper pre wembley. I seem to remember that after Wembley him and big Peter both had turns in goal for a while.

Kennedy had a brilliant season then came the Wembley fiasco.

His confidence was shattered after that but that really should'nt take away from the fact that he was a very good Goalkeeper who thoroughly merited the Scotland caps he was getting.

He was simply the best Scottish Goalkeeper in that era.

That is the first i'd heard about Ormond forcing him to play at Wembley despite and ankle injury.

It would explain some of what happened that day.

ayrshireranger likes this

Came across as a really likeable,slightly eccentric bloke. The fans liked him. Him and big Peter McCloy were in competition a lot (there was a third goalie who only got a few games, Donald Hunter ?). Both were good goalies but both had they're flaws, McCloy found it difficult to get down to the low shots, and Kennedy could pull off miracle saves, then let in a silly one.

Was destroyed in that Wembley game against a very strong England team who dominated the midfield and fired in long shots at random, a few of which rocketed in, one embarrasingly as Stewart ended up missing the ball and swinging on the post he grabbed.

This haunted him ever after you could see his confidence had dipped. He got more stick for that from press etc than Haffey of cellic ever got for losing 9 at Wembley against a lesser english team (imo).

gmcf likes this