Memories Of Stewart Kennedy

The Widow's Son

Gerry Francis ran riot that day....so did a few others as it was a top team. Kennedy had great form with Rangers and was special. He got into a Zone at times where he could not be beaten. Wonder saves and blocks, turning impossible shots around the posts. Great handling and ball sticking talents low down as well.

Gerry Francis ran riot that day....so did a few others as it was a top team. Kennedy had great form with Rangers and was special. He got into a Zone at times where he could not be beaten. Wonder saves and blocks, turning impossible shots around the posts. Great handling and ball sticking talents low down as well.

Just watched "highlights" again. We had five forwards, Conn, Parlane, Arthur Duncan (a winger) Ted McDougall (a centre forward) and Dalglish up front which left us with no midfield, huge space right across the middle which Francis and Colin Bell exploited by making space and rocketing in shots, while Channon, Keegan and Ball dragged our defence around.. Scottish tackles or man marking were non existant for most of the goals.

Always thought that he was a good keeper despite some lapses. Recall some good saves in an Old Firm League Cup Final from the mid-1970s. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" seems to sum up his career and he played in some good teams and some poorer teams. Couldn't get a ticket for the Old Firm Scottish Cup Final in 1977 but watched the game on tv on a visit back home - recall we hit the bar with a header in the dying minutes. Still remember Kennedy with the shirt untucked, ungainly and uneven. I always think that he played for Rangers more often than I ever will. A Fifer?

The season before the 5-1 game he/we let in 24 League Goals, (36 Total) the fewest in Europe. Next was Alex Stephney with 30. He had 45 shutouts with us. Wembley ruined him.

Always thought that he was a good keeper despite some lapses. Recall some good saves in an Old Firm League Cup Final from the mid-1970s. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" seems to sum up his career and he played in some good teams and some poorer teams. Couldn't get a ticket for the Old Firm Scottish Cup Final in 1977 but watched the game on tv on a visit back home - recall we hit the bar with a header in the dying minutes. Still remember Kennedy with the shirt untucked, ungainly and uneven. I always think that he played for Rangers more often than I ever will. A Fifer?

My Dad was working in England when the 5-1 England vs Scotland game happened and my Dad said he made things 100 times worse for himself as he had been totally convinced Scotland would crush England in that game and he hyped up Kennedy as one of the main stars while talking about the game...

• 6 years later...
On 18/01/2015 at 20:50, sandyboyblue said:

It's good to hear that many remember him for more than the ill fated game at Wembley. True to say he was forced into that game I am advised. Was my dad's very good friend, and attended my first wedding. Excellent sense of humour, I often see the big man when I return home.

Who is your dad? Do they still keep in touch? I'm family

On 18/01/2015 at 03:36, onefootwillie said:

I am sure he was in goals for Stenhousemuir when they won at Ibrox 2-0 I think in the league cup. Had a really great season but never recovered from the 5-1 defeat at Wembley

The season of that Wembley game he was sensational for Rangers then came that game and his confidence was never the same after that and he just faded into an ordinary goalkeeper which was a shame because i always rated Kennedy.

Mind you that Scotland team that played in front of him were rank rotten as well.

I always felt sorry for him after that game.

It was a poorly selected Scotland side which lost that  5-1 game wasn’t the keeper’s fault

high water mark for England in the Revie era mind, went downhill rapidly from then and failed to qualify for the 1978 World Cup whereas Scotland did :whistle: